Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

RC-3141's Armor WIP Thread

• 38 Replies

RC-3141

• Probably putting off post-processing my 3D prints
Re: RC-3141's Armor WIP Thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 11:01 PM »
And we're back for another episode of filling and priming, starring the hardener that I put in the body filler before mixing was actually the non-active component because it seems to have separated. (I didn't actually catch any pictures of this though, unfortunately.) If anyone knows of methods that would work to cause that to harden without the hardener, I'd much appreciate any advice for remedying this.
In other news, I had a fun time drilling 7 different holes in my helmet

I drilled the hole for the flashlight, dremeled out a little bit more and got it to fit, tacked it in with hot glue and then superglued it.

Drilled out my keyholes in the back of the helmet, and then used small hand saws (I ended up settling on the one in my swiss army knife) to cut the rest of the shape. I attempted to use the dremel on the first one and it... didn't go terribly well. I put filler on that one and I'll be filing it down again once my filler actually hardens

I also found this cool greebly bit when a kitchen utensil broke, what are your thoughts on that? Use it for the keyholes? Save it for the something else?

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

RC-3141

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 06:38 PM »
Continued work on the helmet today, mostly just sanding. I ended up scraping off the unhardened stuff and reapplying another coat, and that seems to be going ok although it felt bad to be doing negative work

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

RC-3141

« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Attached my visor today, it's all starting to come together.

I hope to have most of this kit done before the end of August, which means I'll have to really knuckle down and work on it

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #28 on: Jun 25, 2020, 05:38 PM »
That's coming along really nicely!

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Gunslinger - Special Weapons Brigade
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #29 on: Jul 03, 2020, 10:09 PM »
Your bucket is sick!  Nice job!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

RC-3141

« Reply #30 on: Jul 08, 2020, 11:15 PM »
Printed my gauntlets, 2.5 days of printing to find out that my hinges were slightly off. Nothing sanding couldn't fix, but I know what I'm improving before the next one

Fit is reasonably good, will definitely benefit from some velcro on the inside to grip the flight suit better.
Can't wait until in-person armor parties can happen again, it'd be nice to ask people questions about all this in-person

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
  • Awards Donated one quarter of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #31 on: Jul 08, 2020, 11:49 PM »
The print came out rather well. I've never used velcro inside my gauntlet but I have considered it. See foam more often than not to give a little padding. How does it fit with your gloves on?

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #32 on: Jul 09, 2020, 12:55 PM »
How does it fit with your gloves on?

Good question! I haven't really given thought to my gloves or other soft goods yet, which is definitely something I need to do. I'm thinking I'm gonna de-label some leather gloves that I was given that I don't have any other particular use for, however the color for those is a bit different than what I'm thinking for the rest of my kit so that may need some reworking.

I also need to figure out what I'm doing for my flight-suit, which will probably end up deciding a lot of my colors.

EDIT: Here's what I'm thinking about right now

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2020, 01:05 PM by RC-3141 » Logged
Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #33 on: Jul 11, 2020, 02:16 PM »
I like the clean look of your print!  Great job!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

RC-3141

« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2020, 12:29 PM »
Started work on painting and weathering my buy'ce, as well as some work on my gauntlets. One question that I've got before I move on with painting my kit is whether I should leave the metallic paint on the "weld" between the the visor and the brow ridge to help make it clearer that it is in fact meant to be welded, or if I should paint over it?
My flight suit is in the mail and should arrive by Tuesday, I settled on Dickies khaki coveralls to go with option two here

Used a permanent marker to mark where I wanted some weathering and dings before I started painting fully, making use of lines and imperfections that were already present on the bucket. Adding a coat of one-color of paint was very useful in determining where there were imperfections. I also spent some time dropping gravel onto the bucket in order to scratch it up a bit more.

I also threw some primer on my gauntlet

I then hit my helmet with Rustoleum soft flat iron and I'm really happy with how it's looking

Note: visor is not final, this is what was in my J2P

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Anansi

• Ratiin Am Jate'Kara
« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Personally, leaving the weld unpainted helps it stand out and gives the look a little extra something.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

RC-3141

« Reply #36 on: Aug 17, 2020, 05:59 PM »
I finally got around to posting in all of my WIP threads!
Redid the wiring on my flashlight, I had kinda messed it up the first time

Made some bes'kar'ta to try out color schemes and have fun with weathering, but I did paint then weathering then more paint which didn't work out too well, however it did work fine for color samples

I settled on Behr Express Blue for my helmet

I may end up having to redo the paint because I don't think I left enough masking fluid (AKA toothpaste) to properly weather the paint

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

RC-3141

« Reply #37 on: Oct 08, 2020, 06:46 PM »
New holster, and bucket progress today, check out my weapons thread to see the wood-handled deece as well.
I'll likely be attaching the holster to my kama (which I'll get around to sometime) and I'll probably print another one for my left side, I printed this design off of thingiverse.
Also repainted my buy'ce and blackwashed, and I do not recommend handpainting a helmet, brushstrokes are annoying and uneven layers are hard to get rid of. Put a visor in it as well, I think I just got a Shade 5 Welding Visor and cut it to size, still needs a little more fitting though

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

RC-3141

« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2021, 08:48 PM »
I know I said in my weapon WIP thread that I wanted to try to work on everything at least a little bit every day... and that lasted about two days. But I think these more than make up for it, I came in and used the embroidery machine at the makerspace at work for a a couple hours and made them:

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread
Soft Goods WIP Thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!