Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sewing a Flight Suit

• 6 Replies

Jaka

Sewing a Flight Suit
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I know flight suits are often purchased ready made, but are there any good guides for sewing your own? I've seen a few guides on measuring out a body suit, usually using sweatpants or t-shirts as a guide, but not so much information the material or, more importantly, the sewing itself.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Sewing a Flight Suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:48 AM »
If you do a Google search for "kwik sew coverall pattern", you can get a pattern that you can modify. It's not expensive and it gives you a much more accurate base to start with than using clothes. I've got this pattern and, while I have yet to use it, it came recommended.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Jaka

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2020, 10:42 AM »
Thanks for the resource. A pattern will pretty much be necessary so I'll check that out.

Does anyone know what materials would be best to use for a flightsuit? All the instructions I find on things like bodysuits are more about skin tight, 4way stretch fabrics.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:32 PM »
for a flight suit, i'd suggest going with medium weight fabrics, like decently thick cottons, denims, preferably something that can breathe. if you go with synthetic fabrics like polyester, you're gonna end up roasting yourself.

Ori Dart

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 10:02 AM »
for a flight suit, i'd suggest going with medium weight fabrics, like decently thick cottons, denims, preferably something that can breathe. if you go with synthetic fabrics like polyester, you're gonna end up roasting yourself.

Agreed. Depending on what the weather's like in your neck of the woods, you could even get away with thinner fabric. I'd suggest something like a poly/cotton twill.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Jaka

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Agreed. Depending on what the weather's like in your neck of the woods, you could even get away with thinner fabric. I'd suggest something like a poly/cotton twill.

I appreciate this recommendation. I've ordered the Kwik Sew pattern and plan to make a run on Joann's when it comes in to find the right fabric. I'm down south, so I'll probably go with something light enough not to kill me.

Ori Dart

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:28 AM »
I appreciate this recommendation. I've ordered the Kwik Sew pattern and plan to make a run on Joann's when it comes in to find the right fabric. I'm down south, so I'll probably go with something light enough not to kill me.

No problemo, vod. ;)

I'd even see if there's something lighter available, like a cotton poplin. Maybe even see if someone at Joann's can help you out. Also, if you find something you like but it's not the colour you need, as long as it's (mostly) cotton, you can try dying it. It's honestly a bit of a pain, but is sometimes the only way to get what you want.

Good luck!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!