Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Approved - WIP First Kit Soft Parts (and still building)

• 36 Replies

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
So I got my scrubs which I am planning on using as a two piece flight suit...need some altering before they fit correctly.

I also got started on my mock-up for my flight vest...I think maybe a little longer.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021, 09:04 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Re: WIP First Kit Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Update on my vest...I originally tried to alter a pre-made pattern but was unsatisfied with all the results.  I then decided to take a shirt that I liked and draft a pattern from that.   I haven't finished it yet but I have the main vest parts cut and sewn along with the lining for the vest. 

I still haven't decided on the shoulder placement...I may widen the attachment to provide a more streamlined look when the vest is on.
I plan on closing the sides with Velcro straps.

Work has begun on making a girth belt... I wanted something a little sturdier so I am planing on weaving/ knotting mine in this slight diamond pattern but at a greater width.  I was just learning the method with the small ones. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Update:
   I have added sleeves to my vest!

I have also added the Velcro straps.  I do still need to finish the neck...I'm thinking a short mandarin collar.  I also need to hem up the vest as it way too long right now.

Unless I'm allowed to leave it long and tuck it under a sash???

Grith belt progess:

All that left for this is to add the leather straps to the end.

Sash:
I had no idea what I was doing but I wanted a sash that would lay flat not show a big twist or knot on the back where you cross the two sides when you wrap it around yourself so I tried to invent one.  There is a small hole on the one side where I pull the one tail through the sash to the front.  Seems to work pretty good.  I do need to make it a bit longer though as I want some to hang down on the front.  The blue was just my trial material...I am planning on doing the final one in red.

Everything so far:
So this is everything so far on me.

I feel a bit like I'm swimming in the vest so I'll have to add some darts and take in a few seam to see if I can tailor it in a bit or if I'll need to rip it apart and start again.

« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2020, 05:17 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
Update: WIP First Kit Soft Parts
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2020, 03:57 PM »
So I got off work early the other day and decided to invest my time in finishing my girth belt.
Straps are added and the ends are finished off.

The tips of the belt are hot glued down and then sewn to an anchor of felt that I stitched to the belt.

I also got a little work done on drafting and testing out a potential neck seal pattern.

Sorry about the quality of the image on that last one.  I am terrible at selfies.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:54 PM »
So little things getting done.  I put a hem on the neck of my flight suit.  I finished patterning my neck seal and have cut out the pieces.  They await being sewn together.  I got my gloves in. :) I will have to remove or cover the logo still but am pleased with the colors. I also went out and found my old half chaps.  They're a little rough but with a bit of TLC they should be just fine, consider it the original weathering.  The best part...they already have a flap that covers the zipper on the outside.

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2020, 04:38 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
Update: WIP First Kit Soft Parts
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:38 PM »
So I had some time over the weekend and got a little work done.  I had asked about an armored kama/ soft cod/ war skirt in my armor WIP and  was informed that it was allowed so the crafting began.

I started with my sketch...drawn to scale because why do the math twice?

Then onto the patterning.  I started with the fabric.  I want to make sure that I liked it before I cut out the armor pieces.  I am sewing the kama to the sash so the pattern for the sash was altered to match the new design.

I definitely like it.

I also got carried away and made templates for my armor pieces and cut them out. 

I do want to widen the two pieces on either side of the soft cod panel by probably 1/2 inch.
I also experimented with different belts.  I was originally planing on the wider woven one...but the thinner black one is a bit more 'slimming'.  With a few pouches, a holster and a few other accessories, I think it will work with the sash and kama.  The buckle is not exactly warzy but I can cover it with a waist accessory. 

Now to make the real one since I got most of the bugs worked out with this test one.

Edit 2/13

I'm also thinking of adding some "kick pleat filler" between the side panels of my 'kama' (don't worry the cod will remain free, also probably the one in the back as well).  I want to add a bit more color and I think the red I was planning on using might add a nice flair.  I haven't decided yet.  I sense a test run in blue coming up shortly.

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2020, 07:23 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
WIP First Kit Soft Parts
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:11 PM »
Hello all, I am back at it with an almost finished kama and soft cod.
After my test run with the blue I went at it with the red cotton and black pleather.
The sash is two layers of red cotton sewn at an angle to accomidate the hips.

I still need to attach the Velcro closure to keep the two sides together but I think it came together pretty nice.

I attached the panels behind the two layers of the sash to give more of an underneath 'separate' look to them.

I haven't attached the cod to the sash yet as I am still debating weather I should sew it on or use velcro to allow it to be adjustable...Opinions anyone?

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
WIP First Kit Soft Parts
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2020, 12:10 PM »
So I decided to scrap my original flight vest and start again.  This is my newest version but it still needs to be hemmed and have the sleeves added.  I will probably open the sides as well because it makes it so much easier to get in and out of it when that is an option.

Dug out my boots I think I might use and fixed up my half chaps.

I added the velcro to my sash to hold the soft cod in place and keep the sash on.  I also made a belt.  :)

And this is everything so far (except the gloves...I didn't put those on for the photos.)  :)

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Those are some nice looking soft-parts! Vests are the worse to get dialed in but everything is looking great.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2020, 08:20 PM »
Those are some nice looking soft-parts! Vests are the worse to get dialed in but everything is looking great.

Thanks Veris Bralor!

VESTS!!!  I really wanted to make everything myself but I am about ready to buy a ready made one.  I got the sleeves on my second one and opened one side for ease of putting it on.  Then I tried it on.  The shoulders were too small with the sleeves added.  I think I can adjust it by both shortening the sleeves and reducing my seam allowance.  Hopefully that will be enough to make it fit properly.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08:32 PM »
So I did end up adjusting the sleeves but they were still pretty constricting.  So I decided to look at the CRL's to see if I had to have sleeves.  The vest doesn't have to have sleeves.  Armed with this information I am going to pull them off and see about mounting my plates to my shirt.  I might add a strap from the vest to help keep them from sliding down my arms as well but I think I will be much  happier without the sleeves to deal with.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Yes, you don't need to keep the sleeves. The local cap sleeve free mandos I know all added shapeless flaps (so a thin rectangle of fabric sewn where the sleeves would be) to their vests to support the weight of the shoulders, and the shoulder plates covers this entire flap. Just keep in mind that per the CRLs, the gap between the collar and the shoulder plates can't be more than 2". Don't want you mounting them to the sleeves to find that the gap is too big.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2020, 10:36 PM »
Yes, you don't need to keep the sleeves. The local cap sleeve free mandos I know all added shapeless flaps (so a thin rectangle of fabric sewn where the sleeves would be) to their vests to support the weight of the shoulders, and the shoulder plates covers this entire flap. Just keep in mind that per the CRLs, the gap between the collar and the shoulder plates can't be more than 2". Don't want you mounting them to the sleeves to find that the gap is too big.

Thank you Veris Bralor.  That was what I was worried about. 

I did end up pulling off the cap sleeves...they were far to limiting for my range of motion.  Then I added some bias tape to the edge of the arm hole.  I also did a bunch of top stitching to try and get some of the inner seams to lay flat.  Faux leather and most irons do not get along.  I will add those shoulder blanks for mounting the plates. 

Then I mounted the plates for my hand armor to my gloves.  Due to the shelter at home order (and not having any grommets of the appropriate size on hand) I did it the same way I make eyelets for Renaissance clothing.  I marked the holes for the glove and triple checked the alignment.  Then I cut the hole with my seam ripper.  Next I did a ring of stitches around the hole as both an anchor and a guide.  Finally I did a modified version of the ladder stitch around both to reinforce and prevent unnecessary stretching.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2020, 09:43 AM »
Those hand plates look really good!  That's a really neat way of mounting them too! Keep it up.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Those hand plates look really good!  That's a really neat way of mounting them too! Keep it up.

Thanks Avior Braisa. 

Update:
  I did a little work on my karma/loin war skirt.  I marked out the placed for attachment for my armor pieces and then debated attachment methods.  Still haven't decided so I stopped there for now. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2020, 06:16 PM »
Life has finally given me a bit of time to work on my kit.  I made a new vest but apparently didn't take any pictures?   :rolleyes:
I do have some with my plates mounted on it and the ones I took as I added my sleeve/blanks for mounting my armor. 
I have a velcro closure on the one shoulder with this one which I find that I prefer.  I have also decided to make the neck seal a separate piece.  This one fits much better than any of my previous attempts.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2020, 05:17 PM »
So I got my plates added to my Kama using pins.  I have locking backs that I will be attaching to keep them in place through the fabric.  I used JB weld to attach the pins to my plates.  I think I will need to add a thin layer of epoxy to fully secure them as few came loose when I was doing a test fit and walkabout. 

I do still need to add magnets into the vest to secure the plates in some areas.  I am thinking that I will sew them on under some felt as that won't need to be hemmed.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Alright, I did some weathering on my soft parts.  Which is both exciting and a bit difficult.  I started with a coffee bath for my softs.  I used some of the cheapest dark roast I could find as I wanted a distinct color.  Made a few coffee packets (filter with those dollar store hair ties to keep them closed) put them in some boiling water and let it steep.  After it cooled down to a temperature that wouldn't hurt my garments in they went.  My greys stayed in longer then the Kama because while I wanted to make the red look used I didn't want to alter the color too much.  So I probably left them in their for five hours or so.   Then I put them in the sun to dry.  After sun drying I threw them in the dryer for ten minutes to really bake my stains in.  They look used now.

Then I went to work on the weathering the pleather portion of the kama.  I grabbed my softest sanding block...I didn't want to do to much damage to fast....and roughed up all the corners on the panels.  Then I did a bit on the sides that aren't locked down into the skirt.  I also made sure to sand the edges between the panels where my holster sits to mimic the wear caused by the friction of the holster rubbing against the panels. 

I did sew most of the magnet onto the front of my vest...one left.  I do still have to add the ones to the back though.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2020, 06:03 PM »
I have finally finished sewing in all my magnets.  I made the little pockets to hold them to the vest out of felt and it works so far.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2020, 12:12 PM »
So I started making some pouches.  I got the first one finished and decided that I didn't like the stitching that shows through on the top of the flap.  I altered my method of making them after that.  I fist one is unlined.  I added iron on interfacing for the next half a dozen.  I made them out of the left over material from the most recent flak vest that I made.  This is high quality pleather so I was able to iron it directly to the cut out pouch.  I also used the interfacing to iron on the magnets that I am using to hold the pouches closed.  I went with magnets because I really do despise the sound of velcro. 

So first pouch without interfacing.  Magnet sewn on.

Then the next few with the interfacing.  I haven't taken a picture of the completed ones yet but I much prefer them.  I sewed them together inside out then top stitched all the seams to get the pouches to lay correctly and give a more finished look.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:36 PM »
I have completed two pouches (in addition to the original trial one) and almost completed another pair.  I just have to stitch down the strap for the belt to slide through in the back.  They will also need to be weathered to match the rest of my kit but that shouldn't take long.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Pouches and vest have been weathered.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Se Syk

• “Be careful not to choke on your aspirations.”
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Holy cow, I love love love your armor set up. Super creative!

Drace Olen

• Never Look Back
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Nice job! If they ask for more weathering on the leather,  I used acrylic paint on mine. I just dabbed little amounts of acrylic paint on the top and rubbed it across and in with a sponge. Again I didn’t use a lot but it did give it a more worn look.

Im not sure how that would work with your pouches. They’re pleather I think? So it may not work?
You have an awesome build though! Super great job!  :porg2:

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Holy cow, I love love love your armor set up. Super creative!

Thank you!   :)

Nice job! If they ask for more weathering on the leather,  I used acrylic paint on mine. I just dabbed little amounts of acrylic paint on the top and rubbed it across and in with a sponge. Again I didn’t use a lot but it did give it a more worn look.
Im not sure how that would work with your pouches. They’re pleather I think? So it may not work?
You have an awesome build though! Super great job!  :porg2:

Thanks a bunch!  I actually had already planed to try adding some of the brown acrylic in the same color that I used for the washes on my armor.  It works pretty good even on the pleather.

Update:

I did a bit more weathering on my vest.  I added some brown acrylic to simulate that slightly grungy look.  Still a little hard to see on the black but I think it makes it match the weathering on my plates a bit better.  I also did a bit of weathering on my gloves.  Some good old dirt and a bit of charcoal.  I'll wipe them down a bit later after the dirt and charcoal have settled in to the fabric.

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2020, 07:38 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!