Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: clan Vizla male warrior from Star Wars Rebels (realistic style)

• 26 Replies

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 40+ hrs of Charity Work 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Modern mando WIP
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2019, 09:45 AM »
I usually recommend heating the top of the chest plates and gently curving that top edge toward your body. It shouldn't reduce spacing too much.

AGConstrux

• Ne shab'rud'ni…
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12:13 AM »
I love me a Red Fist build, and this is no exception. Great job so far!

Munit oyacyir Vaulr.

MMCC #1282
VRCA #70
B.O.O.M. #016
C.H.E.G. #1
S.O.S. #18
501st #71011

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Oct 04, 2019, 07:15 AM »
This build is great! It's really nice to see so much creativity and craftsmanship in a build!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Super late Just found this thread

I'm thinking about doing a Simliar Clan viszla build https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/2229/images/1397/1397-1558441119-832316020.png based off a boba fett mod.

You're build looks great!

Kirill_Evgenev

• Also know as Tash
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2020, 02:00 PM »
Super late Just found this thread

I'm thinking about doing a Simliar Clan viszla build https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/2229/images/1397/1397-1558441119-832316020.png based off a boba fett mod.

You're build looks great!

Wow! That looks awesome! I like helmet paintjob, thats amazing! Approved:)

Kirill_Evgenev

• Also know as Tash
« Reply #20 on: Jun 25, 2020, 04:05 AM »
A little update I made at the last event I took part with my friends. I was inspired by the Boba Fett retexture mod made by Captain_dunn so I decided to add padawan braids to my costume.

Original image by Captain_dunn

Padawan braids I received from one of my friends, she gave them for me. Ironically, she is cosplaying Jedi padawan.

And I super excited with the result, still in search of better attachment method, think I will just sew them right to my vest.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Just gets better and better! As for those top edges of the chestplates, I tell recruits that they can either bring the plate to the fabric or bring the fabric to the plate. You can add additional fasteners at the top of the plate to help you close the gap.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault
Nice job :like:

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Kirill_Evgenev

• Also know as Tash
Nice job :like:

Thank you, Awall!

Just gets better and better! As for those top edges of the chestplates, I tell recruits that they can either bring the plate to the fabric or bring the fabric to the plate. You can add additional fasteners at the top of the plate to help you close the gap.

Thank you for your comment, Kol. I'll try to figure out how to follow your advice. For now, I tried to bend the chest plates a little, but this didn't work well for me (or maybe I did it wrong). Now I think about adding a little piece of Sintra on the back of the chest plate and gluing chest and collar plates together so the gap between them will be solid. The expected result will be like this

Now its time to add some armor. As far as I have shin plates I decided to fully turn my armor to medium style by adding thighs plates. There are two reasons for this. The first - I didn't like the empty zone on my thighs. Yes, I have kama which covers this area, but still it empty underneath. So by adding thighs plates I can easily take off kama (which I really didn't like) and place holster right on the thighs. And the second reason is that in the original concept of clan Vizsla male warrior there is a little thigh armor but only on the sides. So I'm gonna add this element to my armor but in realistic style using WoF Jango Fett templates.

There is a result of a few hours of work. To attach the plate to my thigh I add 3 strips of 20mm nylon webbing - the first goes to the belt and two with some adjustment buckles are around my leg. For now, I like that plate don't fall down because of the first strip that goes to the belt and it sits well because of the strips around the leg, which I can adjust. But I'm gonna remove belt strip and change it to the large piece of velcro to the leg because I can't walk right now and it's kinda non-comfort.

The next huge work I need to do is completely rework belt with a girth belt and all the pouches to match concept. For this, I bought a black fully leather belt with metal buckle and leather-like material for a girth belt and pouches. I have two colors material - light and dark brown and I personally think that light brown matches better. For girth belt I won't invent a bicycle and simply make something like a sash, especially if in concept they have just wide belt as girth belt so I guess there is no much difference.

That's all for now from me, Tash out.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2020, 05:01 AM by Kirill_Evgenev » Logged

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault
I have hidden straps to my gun belt and it was the best thing I could have done to keep my thighs in the right place.  Great start on the leg armor!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
Great start on the leg armor, I'm just not sure how those slippers will go over with the App Team .

Per the CRLs:

Combat/utility boots are considered the primary accepted boot.
Boots must at least reach ankle height.
Boots must have a sturdy sole. Boba/TK-style boots are the exception.

Jokes aside, glad you're still making progress!  :P :P :P

In terms of your work getting the plates to not float and gaps to be closed, proper forming to your body and adequate attachment to the vest makes for a world of distance. My MkI/II armor was not that well formed and had some floating issues, spacing was a constant problem. When I built my 6mm MkIII armor, I spent a lot of time on forming and making sure it was velcro'd as much as possible. Proper formed armor should hug you and feel like a snug fit, and the tighter it holds to your body, the less it will drift around and come into contact with the rest of your armor. Food for thought, I wish you the best!

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2020, 01:52 PM by Kol Var'Das » Logged

Kirill_Evgenev

• Also know as Tash
Long time no updates. So without further ado!

Updates:
1) Finished up thigh plates. The plates holding in place by huge velcro on the backside of the plate and holds on my leg by two nylon straps that are connected by buckles.

2) Finally made up some progress with the belt. For the girth belt, I made something like a sash using leatherlike material. The belt is an old soviet solder belt that I found and the buckle is 3d printed to match the reference.

3) To make my armor looks more close to reference I decided to make new belt pouches and 2 cylinders on the left side of the wearer. The base of the pouches is made from linoleum and covered with the same leatherlike material that I used for the sash. Cylinders are 3d printed. The cylinders fixation are made from 35mm nylon straps.

4) A new holster is 3d printed and covered with leatherlike material. The straps are from nylon, which I'm thinking to change to leather. Or I'll just paint nylon straps to look like leather. 

5) Next thing I always wanted to try is to rework the fixation of the cod plate. To do so I made a straps system that may look like the same as "Boba thong" which I presume is not forbidden. The CRL states that's "Elastic strapping must be concealed EXCEPT on knees, elbows, and “Boba Thongs” where they must be color matched to flight suit." So I used 35mm elastic under... groin. And nylon straps around the body.  Looks cool.

At the end of May, I took part in a local event where I planned to test everything. I really like how the cod plate now attached, it gives more mobility, comfort. So I guess it worked as planned. Here is me with my buddy Rederick and little Grogu.

Future plans:
1) Need to make a second holster to the left side.
2) Need to rework boots plate attachment. Still in search of a better way.
3) The "chest problem" is still not solved. In progress.
2) Getting ready for pre-app and approval. So feedback is welcome.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!