Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Approved- Uur Shaadlan - Medic and Assassin Brigades- Never Finished

• 213 Replies

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
Hey All,
Starting on my armor build.  I am doing a cardboard mock-up to get a rough spacing and sizing before I move to the PVC Board.  Not sure about the sizing of the plates.
Starting with my concept drawings. Those are still in flux as I try different things to find not only what I like but also what would be approved.

EDIT: 8/3/21

I am adding all the links to the other parts of this build here in this first post both so I can keep track of them and for anyone who is interested in seeing the other aspects that went in to this build. 

WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons
WIP Soft Parts
WIP Gauntlets

Edit 1/15/22
I am also adding a finished product picture before you choose to wade through the thread.  If you want to see how I did it keep reading.

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2023, 04:08 PM by Vercopaanir » Logged

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet
WIP Weapons [url=https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: WIP First Armor Kit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2020, 05:48 PM »
Spacing looks pretty good to me! My only concern is how wide the neck cut out is, I think if you made the sides thicker (to bring it closer to your neck) then that would help! I hope that makes sense? Lol

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Medic Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:58 PM »
Spacing looks pretty good to me! My only concern is how wide the neck cut out is, I think if you made the sides thicker (to bring it closer to your neck) then that would help! I hope that makes sense? Lol

Thanks so much for the input.  I brought the sides of the neck in about 1cm.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Yes! That looks great!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Looks like a great start and a well thought out concept!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Looking good so far! :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2020, 08:08 PM »
I'm back at it with the cardboard modeling.   Did some work on my ideas for the shoulders.  I want some raised sections for depth contrast and for color placement.

I also did some work on my shins/knees...not sure I like how they hit my knees when I walk. I may end up with shins and knees as separate pieces.  I also got my PVC board.  Motivation to finish my cardboard designs engaged.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
Question: WIP First Armor Kit
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:11 AM »
Hey all is an armored skirt acceptable?

I am thinking about something like this.  The 'skirt' would attack to my sash.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:03 PM »
An armored loin cloth and kama should be fine :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2020, 01:08 PM »
An armored loin cloth and kama should be fine :)

Thanks a bunch,  :)

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

pointblank666

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Great looking designs! Can't wait to see it all come together  :like:

I like Star Wars.

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
Update: WIP First Armor Kit
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:47 PM »
I got all my pieces for the front of the armor and shoulders traced and rough cut.  I started with the sand paper today. 

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Talon Ven'ad

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:42 PM »
I'm enjoying your design stage. You've got some great ideas.

MMCC OM#1914
Beasthunter-Beastmaster Brigades
Ruus'alor Sol'yc
Mandalorian Mercs Builders Group Administrator

"Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old."

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I'm enjoying your design stage. You've got some great ideas.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Also update:

I got all the pieces sanded and I cut out my hand plates.

I am starting to think about what my paint job is going to look like.  I am currently leaning toward this one for the chest plate. 

And finally a question...can I have a segmented back plate or do I just need to do either a solid one or spaced plates?

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2020, 05:32 PM »
You can have segmented, a solid piece, or pieces that are separated (just make sure the spacing is the same as your front plates). Totally up to you!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:06 PM »
You can have segmented, a solid piece, or pieces that are separated (just make sure the spacing is the same as your front plates). Totally up to you!

Thanks!

Update:

I started my adventures into heat forming my pieces.  Shoulders, collar and hand plates all went well...then I reached the chest piece...going to have to try again with that one.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Chest plates can be tricky! I’d recommended asking a friend you trust to help :) an extra pair of hands will definitely help!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:51 PM »
Chest plates can be tricky! I’d recommended asking a friend you trust to help :) an extra pair of hands will definitely help!

Thanks, I may end up having my sister help me. 

I got some work done over the weekend on my war skirt...armored kama and soft cod  :D

The armor pieces still need sanding and a bit of heat forming.

I haven't decided on attchment either.  Since this will take a bit of abuse, sitting down etc..., I would like to make the pieces 'replaceable'.  I was originally thinking magnets, I am just afraid that I might lose one that way as well.  Looking for suggestions about do's and don'ts here.  What works for you guys and what hasn't?

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:02 PM »
Hi Vercopaanir, how are you doing?

I haven't decided on attchment either.  Since this will take a bit of abuse, sitting down etc..., I would like to make the pieces 'replaceable'.  I was originally thinking magnets, I am just afraid that I might lose one that way as well.  Looking for suggestions about do's and don'ts here.  What works for you guys and what hasn't?

Well, humbly IMO, you have several options to consider: industrial velcro, magnets, snaps, etc. Althgough I don't have a armored kama, I do use snaps and industrial velcro and didn't ever had any prob in 3y... so far  :P

Have a nice day, regards,

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:32 PM »
The armored loin cloth and kama is looking really neat! (I should have been more clear earlier to just make sure that they remain separate pieces, not an actual skirt)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Hi Vercopaanir, how are you doing?

Well, humbly IMO, you have several options to consider: industrial velcro, magnets, snaps, etc. Althgough I don't have a armored kama, I do use snaps and industrial velcro and didn't ever had any prob in 3y... so far  :P

Have a nice day, regards,

AJ

Thanks AJ!  I am doing well thanks for asking.
I am thinking that I might do a combo of Velcro and chicago screws  just to see which one I like better.  I am not sold on the whole snaps idea as I've messed with snaps before with success but not with pleasure (aka I hated adding them to anything). 

And no worries Kryamla Redalur I understood what you meant by armored karma and loin cloth as being two separate items.  I also really appreciate your prompt feed back on my WIP.

The armored loin cloth and kama is looking really neat! (I should have been more clear earlier to just make sure that they remain separate pieces, not an actual skirt)

Update:
I have gotten most of the armor pieces sanded down, there's just a few left to go.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:48 PM »
That’s looking really fantastic :) can’t wait to see it all together!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:16 PM »
So I have nearly finished my armored kama and soft cod.  A few photos of my progress.

I have also purchased my first few cans of paint...now to learn how to weather.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:22 PM »
Happy weathering!  I love this part of it... your creating back story here.  One thing I thought about while weathering... random... random... random.... and embrace your mistakes and make them damage.  Not all your damage will be the same size and form 45 degree angles.  Looking forward to your weathering posts! 

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Vercopaanir

• Fix'em or Finish'em
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Thanks Awall you gave me something to think about....what is my story?  Just discovered the writers bloc...completely enthralled with the tales of Mando awesomeness.

Update:
SO I finally worked up the courage to try again with the chest piece...couldn't bribe any one to help me but I am much more pleased with the results this time.

Please ignore the popping off collar the tape came loose as I was taking the photos and my photographer had already left before I looked at them so I couldn't take more by myself.  Just asking for a check on the fit of the chest piece and the ab plate.. I think I may need to slim down the top part of the chest plate ...its a little big when I put my arms up and forward.

So input on fit and sizing would be great at this point.  I want it formed and sized properly before I even put on one layer of paint.

Speaking of paint, I have begun experimenting on some scraps that I had left over from cutting out my kama plates.

Testing the two different attachment possibilities I decided I would try...leaning toward velcro at this point.

I also did some heat forming on my kama and soft cod plates...when the weather cooperates I start painting them with primer.

Ursa Wren WIP
WIP Armor
WIP Helmet

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!