Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

A good resource for Making your mandalorian armor

• 9 Replies
A good resource for Making your mandalorian armor
« on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:24 AM »
PVC Piping

I bout a 10 foot peice of 4 inch (or 6 i forget which) pvc (1/4 thickness) for about 5 dollars and was able to make almost my entire suit out of it.

The thickness of the peices gives you much more of an armored feel while wearing it. (though heavier and velcro may not be the best option for attatching.

Lets take for example the two breastplates. Cut them out then mark how long they are on the pvc.
Cut the PVC and cut a line from one end to the other so you can roll it flat.
Heat with about 300-400 degrees in your oven on a cookie sheet.
when the peice starts to bend grab it and flatten it out, have weights or some heavy objects to place on it while it cools and BE SURE to have pressure on the edges.
The peice may not cool 100% flat but it will be very close depending on how much weight u applied.
Place your tempaltes on (you can fit 2 XL breastplates on there if you) When placing your templates be sure to go WITH the curve of the pvc piping. Otherwise it will still try to warp back and it won't come out right.
Cut out your peice with a jigsaw (worked best for me) and any details, like the digital display in the plate, with a dremel.
Lightly sand the peices to remove PVC "dust" that forms on the cut lines
Reheat the peices at 300-400 degrees and once they are soft again (starting to curl) they are ready to form. Be sure you have your flightsuit on because your body will be slightly less curvey and the peices will not fit right if you try to place them on without it.

PVC is very durable and easy to work with. It is readily available, (unlike trying to find a plastics shop).

PVC is NOT GREAT for trying to create sharp edges, though using a thiner pvc (1/2 inch or below if available) it may be doable. The small amount of non-flatness that will probably form gives the armor a bit more "used look" once painted.

**BONUS** Unless you live in the desert, you don't have to worry about your PVC warping if you leave it in your car and it gets too hott!

This is a picture of the 3/4 inch PVC, doesn't that look like it could take a beating?

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 07:17 AM by kazklar » Logged
Some people laugh at my starwars "obsession." I grab them then slam their face into a twilight poster and remind them they have a thing for sparkly chested men. The conversation ends there.....

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
Re: A good resource for Making your mandalorian armor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:55 AM »
That is amazingly thick!  :o  I wish I had seen this before. How hard is it to cut and shape ner vod?

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Not Very. just make a cut with a plastics saw (forget the name but its the same one used in the Movie SAW I)
Once you have breached the PVC and made a hole use the Jigsaw to cut the PVC pipe, you can continue with the handsaw if you wish but will need the jigsaw for cutting out the templates once traced

It is very easy to shape and curves to your body easy, I would suggest having two people putting pressure on the armor peice during shaping to avoid having parts "sticking out"

If you go the velcro route, use industrial strength nothing else is strong enough

My entire suit is made of PVC (expept for the helmet/jetpack/gauntlets which are being ordered)

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 AM by kazklar » Logged
Some people laugh at my starwars "obsession." I grab them then slam their face into a twilight poster and remind them they have a thing for sparkly chested men. The conversation ends there.....
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2010, 07:22 AM »
I'm going to attempt to make a bucket out of PVC if I can find a peice big enough for my head

Jaing Vau

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:25 PM »
That might look a little wierd vode. But go for it. Did you bake the PVC in the oven or heat-gun it?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Oven was the onlything hot enough to quickly heat the PVC, and I couldn't find antying bit enough unfortunatly :/

Zevlar Rayco

• MMCC197 M.A.J.I.C 59
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:00 PM »
you'll want to be careful when doing this, however. Because of its majority chlorine content, when PVC burns,  two extremely hazardous substances, hydrogen chloride gas and dioxin are created. Hydrogen chloride gas, is a corrosive, highly toxic gas that can cause skin burns and severe long-term respiratory damage. dioxin is one of the most toxic substances known, and has been found to cause cancer and reproductive disorders. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm saying BE CAREFUL when you use it.

"Let your woes become your deadliest weapons."
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2010, 02:49 PM »
The 1/4 PVC I have found not to burn hardly at all, I had one incident but the peice was left in for 15 minutes, normally the stuff becomes plyable within 5-6 minutes depending on oven temp

On that note, all plastics give off a poisonous gas when burned, though PVC being of a higher toxicity

Jaing Vau

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Sounds cool! I may do a few of my pieces in PVC like the shoulders.

Malus Cerar

• Cerar Clan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2010, 03:56 PM »
You can really do a lot with PVC, soooo many people underestimate it.

Madre Di Dios, Es El Pollo Diablo!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!