Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Speaking and Hearing in helmet electronics

• 2 Replies
Speaking and Hearing in helmet electronics
« on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:59 PM »
Hey there everybody! So I was wondering what everybody does as far as a vocal booster so people can hear you out of your helmet and hearing others. My helmet is 3d printed so kinda thick and my hearing is....not amazing at best. I have ideas as far as say a sound amplifier like the Magic Ear which has earphones and a voice booster for folks wearing masks in the bio sector.  But haven't gotten a good option as far as something to do both.

I do plan on making an arm rig to put a cheap phone in just for bluetooth options to do both possibly but I'd like to know what other people do.

Do you just tough it out? Do you learn to adapt to it? I'm more concerned with hearing others vs them hearing me as I'm very shy to begin with. But I don't want to say get hit by something or miss a stage call because I can't hear AND have limited vision in the helmet!

What does everybody do to adapt to this? I've been costuming since 98 but I've never made anything that involved a full helmet like this.

Kurz

Re: Speaking and Hearing in helmet electronics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Velleman makes great kits for both voice modulator and hearing boosters. And they are pretty cheap. You should look in the electronics page

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 40% increase or more
Re: Speaking and Hearing in helmet electronics
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2020, 11:24 AM »
For hearing, most more or less just get used to it. If we're actually having a conversation, we take our helmets off.  I've tried a hearing amplifier, but it was cheap, and it picked up too much background noise so all I got was the same echoey din as without it, only at higher volume... so it technically worked, it was just more annoying than having to take my helmet off and ask someone to repeat themselves.

For a voice amp, you really can't go wrong with an aker, even the cheap models.  I made a push to talk switch in the line between mic and amp for mine, just to prevent the possibility of picking up heavy breathing. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!