Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Binatone light gun mod

• 20 Replies
Binatone light gun mod
« on: Jan 20, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Hi Vode,

I've recently purchased one of these light guns from the 70s which I'm looking to modify.

My first question is to do with the screws:
I know that some screws cam be acceptable but what about the nuts on the reverse side?
Should I cover/fill them or will they be approvable as they are?

Re: Binatone light gun mod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Nobody?

Ah well, i've already started working on it. Here's my plans for it.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Tried making the grip larger because i have big hands and original felt too small....
Tbh I did like it how it was but this is growing on me.

A Foundling

• What about the droid attack on the Wookies?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Sorry to not have replied to this earlier, but screws tend to need to be filled in if the look like screws in a toy, which in my opinion those do. If it were me, I'd just fill in both sides, but ultimately it's up to you

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 06:34 PM »
If it were me, I'd just fill in both sides,

Hey thanks. I figured I'd fill both sides in anyway for what it's worth.

Fragowump

• Victor Robles OM# 1937
  • Awards Special Weapons 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:27 PM »
  • Manufacturer screw holes MUST be filled and smoothed. They must also be modified so they no longer appear “straight out of the box”. Meaning parts swapping, kit bashing, and the use of greeblies is required. Think “70’s future tech”.

The blaster is coming out great!

Perpetually confused
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Brigade Wip: Heavy Melee
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:46 AM »
The blaster is coming out great!
Thanks!

Current progress:

I thought it'd be really cool to have a light shine through the barrel so I've put this together out of a random thing I had lying around (I'm really not sure what it was I picked it up from my last place of work...), a mini LED torch I randomly picked up while out shopping and some pvc pipe.

Isnt it marvellous when things just fit together! Almost like they were meant to be!

The idea was to replace the tube at the back end of the blaster with this and have the pipe pointed towards the barrel, like so:

Then after lots of cutting and a bit of sanding

Both lights are activated by buttons on the back. It'd be great to have the barrel light activate by the trigger but I'm happy with it as it is  ;D

Nimrodt

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2020, 12:53 PM »
i was  lucky an geting  2 complete sets a long time a go
its a great base for a blaster

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=170688.msg2006629#msg2006629

Unbesonnenheit ist das Charakteristikum der Jugend,Besonnenheit das des Alters,und Vorsicht ist der bessere Teil der Tapferkeit.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 01:33 PM »
i was  lucky an geting  2 complete sets a long time a go
its a great base for a blaster

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=170688.msg2006629#msg2006629

Aww man! That's a dream come true! I was wondering if I could make some accessories to turn it into a carbine. That would have been perfect!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Vode, I need an opinion.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to glue th3 two halves together and start filling holes in the blaster.
Before I start that I'm wondering whether I need to cut some grooves into this part.

It has another of these struts on the underside and they're the only features left that could out it as a toy gun.
I'm concerned that as the lines don't match up perfectly that It'll look worse if I try to cut into it.

What do you think?

« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Ok so I'm going to leave it where it is!

I've updated my concept

Nimrodt

« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2020, 09:26 AM »
if i saw this radiatorish part  first time i think it goes in a way like the dl44 radiator parts or leias blaster nozzel

Unbesonnenheit ist das Charakteristikum der Jugend,Besonnenheit das des Alters,und Vorsicht ist der bessere Teil der Tapferkeit.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2020, 03:08 PM »
I've been umming and ahhing a bit too much about the filling/sanding stage but heres my progress!

I'm almost ready to start gluing and painting!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2020, 01:24 PM »
I've decided to go with a side-mounted scope now instead of the top-mounted laser.
Here's a rough mock up.

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2020, 09:05 PM »
In response to my Ruus on the clan forum...

Great work on  the blaster upgrade and i love that scope.
I still personally think that it would be worth adding some more small greeblies onto the side of the gun on the flat bits to hide its original form.

Thats definitely the intention vod.

Here's a blue-tac mock up of what I'm thinking so far.

As you can see I'm also redoing the handle (it was a bit too big the first time round) and filling in the scope rail so it doesn't have those ridges.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!