Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Binatone light gun mod

• 25 Replies

Nimrodt

Re: Binatone light gun mod
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:10 AM »
for me too much greeblie stuff for that elegant gun
keep it simple keep it clean  like Jangos blaster

Unbesonnenheit ist das Charakteristikum der Jugend,Besonnenheit das des Alters,und Vorsicht ist der bessere Teil der Tapferkeit.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:02 AM »
for me too much greeblie stuff for that elegant gun
keep it simple keep it clean  like Jangos blaster

I hear ya, but I've already been told that it wasn't enough...

It'll look better once its painted!

« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:18 PM »
Evening Vode!
I hope everyone is safe and well in these unprecedented times.

Due to cv-19 I've been forced to find new work and that has left me with a lot less time on my hands, but I've managed to get a few bits done on my blaster over the last few weeks.

I managed to glue and fill some of the scope/mount. It's still rough and ready but it's largely there.

The scope attachment is now fixed to the body, but will need a bit of filling to make it a little cleaner.

And, some of the greeblies are now glued in place.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2020, 06:47 AM »
Hey everyone!

Just a quick update to say I'm currently in the process of: filling, sanding, sanding, filling, sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, filling...

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 10:30 AM »
I think I'm close to painting it now.

There's one or two bits I want to alter but it's mostly there!

What do you think? Can you see any areas I'll definitely have to fix?
(The grip cover isnt finished yet. I'm just thinking about the main body.)

Also, I forgot to reattach a nut to the base of the barrel, so that thread would normally be covered. See my other pictures.

This bit I know I need to fix. I'm going to go back over the seam and the areas marked in pencil again.

« Reply #20 on: Jun 17, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Hi Vode.

Sorry for the inactivity, I've been busy working 6 days a week in a warehouse and I find that I'm just too tired for most things when I get home!

I've got a day off so I thought I'd do a quick update.

Not loads to say but I had a mini-tantrum/rage quit last time I worked on my blaster.

I was spraying primer and realised that I'd put a bit too much on...so I tried to wipe it off (BAD IDEA!)

So that needs fixing (more sanding  ???), but on the plus side I've rounded off the edges of my grip

There's still some imperfections but I'm hoping glazing putty will sort the minor cracks and lines.

Also, due to the issues I've had with my scope I thought I'd make a 'cap' that I can replace the scope with in the meantime.

What do you reckon?

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Necro!

Evening Vode!

So it's nearly been a year...   ???

Between work and study I've not found much time to build until recently.

After my mini-tantrum due to over doing the primer I got the blaster sanded down and ready to paint...

...got a few silver coats on it and over did that a bit so tried to sand it off again  ;D

What that did show me though is that sanding the silver gives it a nice worn metal look so...

...I put on another coat of silver (shiny :9)...

...but I applied some light sanding in a few places.

Masked it up, including using some latex masking fluid (I tried using mustard but found that it loosens the paint below it, and is messier than I'd want).

After a few layers of matt black here's where i've got to!

I'm really happy with the masking, it's come out much better than I'd expected. The light wear on the metal where I've sanded it looks good too.

I need to do a few touch-ups, finish the scope, rail, the attachment cover and the pistol grip, and I'm yet to get a clear coat on it, but I think it's looking great!

« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2021, 07:04 AM »
Afternoon!

As promised heres the blaster with a bit of rub and buff applied!

Now I'm getting the grip painted!
As you can see below I've tested a technique with my mk1 grip (right)  and I'm just getting the base coat onto the mk2!

Oya!

« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2021, 05:07 PM »
...and the wooden grip is done!

I totally forgot to photograph the intermediate stages though.

So after applying a base coat of Burnt Sienna, making sure to brush in one direction (vertically), I laid down a couple of dry-brushed layers of Burnt Umber in a ringed/arched pattern (also brushing in the same direction.
once that was dry i wet a sponge and watered down a little of the umber, then wiped it over the top (also in the same direction).

When it was all dry gave it a clear coat and voila!

Now it just needs a blackwash and its done!

« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2021, 02:48 AM »
I should also note that the grip is intended to be made out of Wroshyr wood.

Wookieepedia says:
"Wroshyr wood had extraordinary qualities. It was slow to burn, capable of taking hits from a turbolaser and suffering only a little charring and splintering. On the downside, cutting it required proton-teeth saw blades, and even those sometimes broke in midspin, leading to lethal injuries to their operators.[3]"

Maz Kanata's old Wroshyr curio box.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Maz%27s_Curio_Box?file=Maz_curio_box.jpg

Compared to Maz's box this grip is relatively new, so although it is as old as the blaster the qualities if the wood give it an "As new" appearance.

That being said I am going to add some darker areas to it in the black wash.

« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2021, 06:36 AM »
Finished!?!

It's probably not "finished, finished" but I'm happy with it!

Any feedback on it would be great!  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!