Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modern Medium Custom WIP: Maul Mando

• 51 Replies

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Modern Medium Custom WIP: Maul Mando
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:59 AM »
Moved from my self-intro thread:

Building up to start a suit of armor, I have questions that are more specific than I find answers in the forums. Doesn't mean they aren't there, just my searching is mediocre. It may be a case of having more artistic liberty than I expected.

First, I want my character as a Mandalorian to have a back story. Not detailed, but a rough RPG-style bio with six-degrees-of-separation link to the universe we know. Try this:

-:- My name is D'shan (sounds like "dish on") but I respond just as well to Mando.
-:- I was affiliated with Bo-Katan's Nite Owls primarily as a technician until the fiasco that was her/our falling out with the rest of Death Watch. Never met the woman, I was too low level.
-:- Around the time of the purge, I got separated from the clan - they probably think I'm dead - and I haven't found any of them yet. I hope they are in hiding.

Is there any reason not to run with that?

Then, my custom armor concept based on the recent TV Death Watch style with a Night Owl bucket:

My goal is to land somewhere between this woman from Wookiepedia:

and this man from the Disney TV show:

I really like the Nite Owl helmet but I am totally willing to give that up if it will prevent me having a shot at approval as an OM. I am all in for this, the first cosplay idea to really get my attention.

I want the soft goods to all be shades of burgundy and dark brown and the armor to revolve around a dark cadet blue. Simple enough to buy a quart of the darkest shade I like and cut it with white for two or three lighter shades, right? Footwear can be whatever dark color I find that meets the needs of the judges and my comfort - I let black be a placeholder for now. A gun belt and a utility belt, likely found items from resale shops or the army surplus store will be my two waist items. I think those need to be opportunistic and dyed dark if the color of the cool things that turn up isn't what I want.

I will probably buy an armor kit from someone on the forums - Gungan Armory got my attention - and then keep the "professionally made" parts in reserve while I play with Sintra (or the Home Depot equivalent) for the parts that aren't included in the kit. Learn shaping and finishing on self-made simpler parts, the ones I can reproduce for cheap when my learning curve consumes them, then tackle the kit when I know what I'm doing. I do think the Death Watch kit there is missing either a back plate or thigh guards; I confess my identification of the parts in the Death Watch kit shown is iffy, but it doesn't add up to to all the non-helmet blue parts of my vision. It does have a cod piece, that I specifically do not want to be blue. (Gungan Armory thread.)

In the CRLs, I see I must use a cod piece. Would it be ok for the cod piece to be colored like the soft goods instead of like the other hard pieces? I am enamoured of the crew who rescued Din Djarin and want to emulate them most of all.

Is there a technician or construction battalion type insignia in use? I figure that, at their height, the Mandalorians were like the Marines: everyone trained to fight well enough, and those with additional aspirations were cultivated for specific support jobs, like that gorgeous armorer in the show. I have put a simple placeholder in on the right chest piece, right thigh, and right shoulder (not shown). Death Watch/Clan Visla tag on the left shoulder.

If there is no such insignia, can I make my up own? Nothing fancy, those three lines can be interpreted as a cutting tool in action, a mathematical operator, a construction scaffold, and/or a tripod-mounted weapon. (Yes, I am an engineer IRL!)

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 09:03 PM by LStarrunner » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: conceptual design phase
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:09 AM »
You can have whatever backstory you wish - it won't change or effect the CRLs.

Night Owl can be used with any modern era custom armour.

You must have a groin covering of some form. This must be either a hard cod plate, or a soft fabric covering that is long enough to cover the whole of the place a cod would sit. Fabric must be made from sturdy material and well finished (though it may be then weathered). You may colour it, no matter which you pick, however you wish. As long as you are staying away from glitter paint and earth based symbols and designs, your paint scheme is your own.

You may wear a personal symbol, it must not be drawn from earth symbols to the extent that we can see the origin. You may also modify or use as is symbols from the show that are not worn only by a canon character (eg Sabine shoulder designs are canon only).
We have a set of orientated symbols for use in the Brigades - this is a set of further CRLs (called BRLs) that are intended for use after base approval. At least one of those is an engineer.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:02 PM »
Kris hit everything that I would have so I’ll just say this. I like your concept and think it can work well (just be sure to have a cod plate of loin (which can be the same color as your flightsuit) and you’re good!). Following with interest :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

hazelspikes

• "Armor is just bigger Gunpla!"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2020, 12:13 PM »
I like your concept and am following with great interest! Yay more Nite Owls!

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2020, 08:39 PM »
Great! Thank you for the encouragement.

I think I will let go of the wish for burgundy textiles and make my first cut black and dark gray soft goods. I already have very plain black leather gloves that I like, I have very plain black leather boots that I can wear all day, I have long sleeved black shirts from which to choose the undershirt, and I found what I think is a great belt for a waist band cover at a resale shop on my way home tonight. The otherwise super-silly loop design that was intended to be the front will be very useful at the back of my kit as a place to hang accessories. The belt I got for $1.50:

thinking it will work out fine worn backwards as a covering for the waist of scrub pants:

I found scrubs on Amazon for about $20 that are dark gray, to break up the monotony of all black under the plates. I'm short, so I think I'll cut off enough fabric to make a small fit me that I can use the left overs to make a neck seal. I don't want to go too heavy on the fabrics, knowing I'll have on three shirts under the plates and I live in southeast Texas!

Or, check my layer count: long-sleeved undershirt, scrub top, heavy vest, then the plates on top. And, oh yeah!, I might decide I want a capelet or duster, just because I think they look cool. :-D

~☆~ Lorra

-:- Cabur Akaata 218 -:- N.O.S. 037 -:- M.V.S. 116 -:- Grey Brigade 20 -:- Clan Arqet -:- OM 2678 -:-

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:35 AM »
If the belt is elastic you'll need to be covering the elastic portion.

And a tip for if layers get too hot - on any underneath layers cut out panels where they can't be seen and replace with mesh.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2020, 12:57 PM »
I was expecting that... is it enough to cover it with a layer of other fabric or thin leather/pleather and add a greeblie or two?

Vents! I'll add that to my late-add list.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Kris Jasra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Yes, that's a great way to easily mod it.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: accumulating soft goods
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:24 PM »
The accumulation of first-attempt soft goods is complete. I cannot say I am satisfied at all with the scrubs-as-flightsuit. Check this out:

Now, I have thrown the scrubs and custom vest from K'raam Xrati into the washer. I have faith the vest will 'weather' nicely with just regular washing with cold water and hanging up to dry. Worst case, it is so very sturdy that it needs to be beaten up by going through the washer with an old pair of running shoes.  The scrubs are not so straight forward to me. My current plan is to wash them repeatedly, and dry them on hot to try to shrink them as well as relax them. Going in, this size small set fits me as if I got it from Tent & Awning.

Dare I leave the lower legs essentially as they are in confidence that tucked into boots, covered with thigh plates, knees, and greaves, the pants don't matter much?

I do not like how the hips and rear fit me - Tent & Awning? - but waist items, a codpiece, and duster or cape might make them not matter either. Thoughts?

This has reinforced my hatred for drawstring pants as a concept.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2020, 10:28 PM by LStarrunner » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Kris Jasra

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:48 PM »
Wearing them round the house will also get them nice and worn in. I went through a flightsuit as everyday wear time to get mine away from that crisp new feel.

I would recommend some elastic on the trousers, either as an underfoot stirrup or round the ankle to keep them in the boot and not blousing and wrinkling at the knee.

I use a cod with an elastic strap that goes up to the rear of my belt and a kama. You can't notice you could fit two of my rears into my flightsuit :P and at least I'll never worry about ripping that part.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:13 PM »
LOL That is one upside of the fit, these pants will never rip.

Thanks. I will figure out some elastic placement to help them fit.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: starting armor plates
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:12 PM »
After modifications per the armor party yesterday (Thank you lots, Kai!) I have laid out the full set of custom armor templates on the half sheet of 6mm PVC Rissa gifted me (Thank you lots, Marissa!).

Now, I am going to leave that solid inch or so on the top curve of the ab plate in case that piece needs to be taller, but otherwise try to be efficient with use of the PVC sheet. I want to at least have bits left that can be replacement/spare/alternate iron hearts, as well as that back-plate-sized chunk in the upper right of the image. Is that a decently good idea, or does experience say I ought not try to place them so close together?

Inventory in image: chest plates, iron heart, ab plate, back plate, two thighs, two shoulders, a two-part collar, and a three-part cod. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2020, 08:49 PM by LStarrunner » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:44 AM »
Can't claim experience with sintra (yet...) - but it's easier to remove material than add it back in! Plus if your chest plates will be curved you'll end up needing more material than you think. You can always hit up your local sign shop for sintra scraps if you need small replacement parts later

Kris Jasra

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2020, 12:49 PM »
I cut mine out one at a time. So I can nestle them right up to each other as the cut edge from the first becomes the edge of the second etc. I start with the biggest or straightest edged bits first and put that in a corner and just work from there.
Yes, leave excess on the ab plate and I recomend excess on the outside edge of the chest plates. Depending on how much shaping the chest plates need the angles can change a fair bit having excess means you can shape then trim it to have the line you want.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:47 PM »
I cut mine out one at a time. ...start with the biggest or straightest edged bits first and put that in a corner and just work from there. ...leave excess on the ab plate and ...on the outside edge of the chest plates.

Thank you for the advice, Kris. Will do!

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:48 PM »
All cut out, with extra on the chest and ab plates:

Now for shaping and another armor party consultation.  :)

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Raquel91

• Mhi solus tome
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2020, 02:16 AM »
Hi Lora!!!!!

Very exciting seeing your progress!!!

Arqet Clan Alor'ad 2019-2021, Ver'alor 2022
South Central Region Ver Al'verde 2023
Mando Q&A Form
OM#1871b Sabine Wren & Ruu Sedam   
#90 - M5, #038 .G.O.M.O.L., #017 N. O. S.

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:46 PM »
Finally reengaging after the hijacking of life as we know it. I was sooooo bummed when my Clan's March and May armor parties were canceled, but I did finish bending my plates. Now, I have to do detailed shaping. Placement question: does the ab plate rest at the natural waist, such that when I bend over it will be 100% above the bend, or should it ride somewhat lower such that it makes bending over forward problematic? I need to know this so I can sort out exactly how much I want to take off the ab plate versus the chest plates to have them space correctly and "fit" together.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Cross-posting to my own thread from the Kick the Bucket thread:

I finally got around to smoothing the cutout in my bucket today! I roughed it out a while back with a dremel tool - rough being the key word! - and it had sat staring at me accusingly since the shutdowns in March. Here it is with white paper in place of the visor for contrast:

I forget where I read it, but the originator of the advice to glue chicago screws inside and drill little holes in the corners of the visor to mount it was brilliant. Super glue on ABS plastic makes an immediate bond.

What do you think: should I leave the supports at the top and bottom of my 'beak' in after I get it all painted up (the supports would stay flat black to blend in with the visor), or cut them out eventually?

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: continuing armor plates
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:43 PM »
I have been working with Kai via Messenger for a while and finally got in contact with the new Russ'alor. Here goes the updates since.

1. Progress on the helmet -

a. added ears

b. trimmed up vent

c. worked on building up the 'band' around the crown with bondo

2. Progress on the main plates -

3. Made a waist item based on live action Night Owls -

a. front view (also shows the breastplates with the attempt at darts that I rejected as a bad job)

b. left

c. right

d. back (super-awkward, mirror-over-the-shoulder, I need us to have armor parties again!)

4.  Decided Faceted Breastplates are The Way for me -

a. same custom template as prior, just slit four ways

b. shaping - they both broke the same way, for good or bad

c. this is a lot better!

d. on my dummy, pre-bondo

e. bondo layer number 1

f. sanding cycle number 1

5. I really enjoy constructing iron hearts. Kai likes Number 4, but I intend to finish them all and may decide when I get there.

6. My backplate, prior to bondo -

a. back view

b. right side

c. left side

And I will post pics of the backplate, post bondo layer 1, another night.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: sanding
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2020, 02:27 PM »
I spent three hours sanding just my helmet the other day. It started out as "I need to level out the bondo," and then it dawned on me that the smooth plastic areas were likely to not take paint well, so I kept at it. 120 grit, then 220 grit. I see some still-black areas in the pics, so will hit those again. Want to ask here: is the 220-grit matte finish good for taking paint on ABS plastic?

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:25 PM »
Progress!

Thighs shaped and one knee finished:

Also realized the breastplates need to ride higher and be cut down in the center:

Marked them up:

and

Ending up here:
And had a great chat with my Ruus'alor tonight about it all. Happy thoughts that I can implement all his advice.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:07 PM »
The closer I get to actually painting, I find I am falling out of love with the Death Watch blue. My personal color is actually a dark red - like antique ruby. Swapping it in for the base blue in my earlier artwork gives me this:

My RPG characters are always my soul in a different circumstance. I figure I started as a proper Night Owl when Death Watch still felt righteous. I was disappointed when Viszla lost to Maul, and disgusted when Kryze left in protest instead of challenging Maul properly. I stayed until Maul deserted us. As a rank-and-file nobody, I never heard what sounded like a real explanation.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: LStarrunner's WIP: breastplates are annoying AF
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2021, 09:57 PM »
Working with my Ruus'alor, I got to cutting down my front-facing kit. Collar first, trimmed to allow a better range of motion on my arms.

1. Marked up:

2. Cut but not finished, and first hack at the right breastplate:

I feel pretty good about that collar.
Then, I realized the breastplate still doesn't curve in enough to "follow my body".

And the faceted edges did not hold up to cutting/whittling, which I think means I was frustrated and not gentle with them, more than it means the seams are unsalvageable:
Then, I think I mistook advice from my Ruus'alor that sounded like I should do this:

Which took me here:
Now I think this set is another sacrifice to the pursuit of knowledge. Is my idea of making them faceted worth pursuing? Would it be acceptable for me to make them more faceted? And what if I treat them like the iron hearts I was playing with, and make them from layers of 3mm, instead of directly from 6mm? The scuff-and-glue-together lay-up of 3mm sheets after shaping seems to be very solid. Help?
I will post a specific question thread, too.

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

D'shon Lorra

• Through Pain We Learn
Re: Modern Medium Custom WIP: Maul Mando
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Needed a break from futzing with shapes, so I sanded the simplest of my plates and got to painting.

Naked pair of thighs, gauntlets, and one experimental back plate:

Two coats of primer:

Two coats dark base:

Two coats metallic:

Two coats "original" blue:

Three coats wine red:

And I have ordered an iridescent visor, because this has to happen:

So, now I wait for the paint to cure completely in the humidity so I can paint the helmet and whatever else I feel good about by then. Happy thoughts!

~☆~ Lorra

Adol Aaray Mhi Hibira

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!