Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Modern Medium Custom WIP: Maul Mando

• 46 Replies

D'shon Lorra

• Simple weapons are never out of order.
Re: Modern Medium Custom WIP: Maul Mando
« Reply #30 on: Mar 25, 2021, 09:51 PM »
I have been busy this week...
1. Finished the big paint job.
2. Played with weathering the flatter back plate.
a. as painted, I thought I needed to sand it off and try again...
b. but the blue popped out during sanding and made me think maybe it would be ok...
c. so I played with some rub-N-buff...
d. then sanded some more...
e. and put on a dirt wash...
And I like it.
3. Then put in the new visor
4. And added Maul markings.
I love this bucket!!

~☆~ Lorra

Still working the details...WIP Thread
-:- Cabur Akaata Member 218 -:- Clan Arqet -:-

Hayc besbe’trayce draar shuk’yc.

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2021, 09:25 PM »
More progress.
1. Figured out how to make stencils out of painters tape and wax paper.
a. Getting started

b. Deathwatch/Vizsla for my left shoulder:

c. My own simple symbol for field engineer:

d. Shoulder, chest, and thigh ready to paint:

e. And painted:

Very pleased with how they turned out!!
2. And I have worked on attachment schemes.
a. Knees get garden-variety velcro (literally, meant for tying up plants!) with buckles that cover it with a pleather strap:

b. Which makes them pants agnostic:

c. Vambraces have their own attachment scheme, but needed to grip my forearms better - I bought the smallest size from April Storm Props, and they still want to rotate around my arms when I move - so I used weather stripping:

d. And my helmet wanted to slide around and fall off if I bent over, so I have mitigated that with some of the thin salvaged elastic I used on my vest:

It still shifts some, but won't fall completely off in movement. I need to get some washers to prevent it popping off my chicago screws in taking it off: putting it on, it holds fine.
3. I have started assembly of my first bayonnet:
 a. Patterns and pieces

b. Hilt assembled

c. Specific question: As a bayonnet, it should have a ring as a sort of guard on the hilt, but do you think I should add it or leave it off?

I think it comes down to this: are bayonnets too real-life-military-specific to use as the pattern for vibro-blades?

~☆~ Lorra

D'shon Lorra

Maul Mando WIP - Now Wearable!
« Reply #32 on: Apr 07, 2021, 12:09 AM »
This past weekend, I reached the goal I originally had for last May the 4th: my kit is wearable. I am so excited!! It is not ready for application for OM, but I can see the way to get there now. I wanted a set of (mostly) unweathered pictures for reference as I weather it all. 
1. First, in the originally-planned scrub-based flight suit
a. And the cape

b. showing the Mauled Deathwatch emblem I came up with

c. Proper right side view

d. Proper left side view

e. Proper back shot, sporting the experimentally weathered flat backplate

f. And my favorite almost-front view

2. With the now-preferred spandex based flight suit (can you believe it entered my home as pink thermal underwear?!?)
a. Proper front shot, no cape

b. right side

c. left

d. back, sporting the unweathered curvy plate

e. helmetless

I could wear this in public and feel proud of it.  :maul:
Now, to replace all that underlying pale velcro with black, improve the spacing of plates, sort out my jumble of too-dark waist items, improve the cape snap system, and ... the list gets more refined but not shorter...

~☆~ Lorra

Vhekadla Yustapir

• Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din
  • Awards Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Great progress so far! I know we've been in touch in messenger quite a bit, but this really is one of the best places to poke us to give detailed feedback as we can edit and keep track of posts in here fairly easily. Now the following fix list is not exhaustive, and I don't want it to be. You'll find that in the early stages it is better to focus on things in groups or related items to keep things digestible, as well as manageable. Sometimes doing xyz to flakvest, or moving one plate affects another item, placement or spacing. That said, let's dive in. I'm going to focus on upper-body feedback in this first round. We'll address, cape/back, and lower body separately.

Photos: My advise is to try to minimize the photos with "flair". Try to stick to the Approval required shots only when seeking full kit progress feedback. There's nothing wrong with fun shots! But they can clutter up and delay the feedback process because we have to filter those out when trying to do our detailed review. There will be plenty of time to be awesome in kit when we get over the finish line or during stress-test fit events. Natural lighting is perfect, I can see exactly the details I need to for the moment.

Helmet
  • Helmet looks a little large for your frame, but this could be photo perception because of the shoulder gap, size of shoulder bells and lack of waist items. It can be assisted with several methods without need of addressing anything in regards to the helmet yourself. I can address this with you step by step so it will not be a large concern as we address other issues. I myself had a very similar issue due to my slender frame.
  • I need to get some extra feedback for you (and myself!) on visible hair showing. I'm not entirely certain if it's an issue, most tend to tie it up, hair net, etc to avoid the appearance of it, but I do not know if there is a hard and fast rule. Mine comes to the middle of my back now, thanks pandemic. :laugh: so I'll get this information ASAP and update here.

Chest Plates:
  • Spacing is inconsistent around the chest diamond. Remember that the spacing involved in this area should no more than ½” or 12 mm between the diamond and chest plates. Equally you don't want too small either where it can be difficult to identify the spacing. You want it to be OCC. Or "Obvious, Crisp, Consistent."
  • I'm going to for ease of reference refer to each spacing gap as A = Between Collar Plate and Bar, B = Between Bar and Chest Plates, and C = between Chest and Ab. You want each gap to be roughly the same as much as possible visually. Right now your A gap is smaller than your B Gap. Your B Gap is similar in size to your C gap. Revaluate these gaps and make sure the spacing is not more than the maximum spacing of 1” or 2.5 cm between the collar/chest/abdomen plates. Check with a ruler. I recommend bringing these gaps to be of the same consistency and decrease them. They appear to be a tad large and possibly exceeding the maximum. This will help with my next point.
  • Make sure your ab plate does not extend past the flakvest. Currently you have fairly significant overlap between the plate and belt. The above advice should help with fit.

Shoulder Bells:
  • The gap between shoulder plates and collar/backplate should not be more than 2” or 5 cm. You have a significant gap that looks like it exceeds this limit on both sides. Additionally your gap between collar and left shoulder vs. collar and right shoulder are different.
  • My recommedations include, bulking up the cut of the shoulder bells. Proportionally the pieces themselves are small to your frame. You can see this easily when you look at the cloth parts of the flak vest they mount to and how your right one is turning forward at an angle. The bells are significantly smaller than the area you have coverage wise. I recommend using cardboard templates till the fit is good to save on material costs.
  • Consider the addition of spaulder plates between bells and collar with consistent spacing, or sizing up the collar. This can be done with minimal rework by adding plating equally to the underside of the collar. Using a segmented Collar approach or for flair bridging the gaps between spaulder plates and collar with sintra cosmetically. Consider this solutioning a unique solution for specific scenario that's evolved since we've worked on your chest pieces. Review the original concept photos you have. It is entirely possible to facsimile that look at feel without a lot of rework.

Gauntlets and Gloves:
  • Flight suit sleeves must not protrude from the end of the gauntlets.
  • Full or half/bracer-style hard shell gauntlets that cover at least 2/3 of the length of the forearm from wrist to elbow and at least half of the circumference. I'm a little concerned that when you fix point one, the hard shell gauntlets you have may not cover the required lenth of 2/3d's wrist to elbow. They appear a little short, but again could be my perspective at the moment. Try observing that as you adjust and we can assess.
  • If armored gloves are used, the armored section may not extend past the cuff of the glove. Your right hand plate looks in a few shots like it overlaps. You may need to size that down a tad or adjust the fit some. 

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 02:01 PM by Vhekadla Yustapir » Logged
Contact Me: vhekadlayustapir@outlook.com
Path to Brigade WIP: Beskar Repairs and Upgrades: "http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=97982.0"

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2021, 08:51 AM »
...Now the following fix list is not exhaustive, and I don't want it to be. ... I'm going to focus on upper-body feedback in this first round. We'll address, cape/back, and lower body separately....

This is great feedback. Thank you for the details. I'll print this out so I can annotate it when we chat. Video call soon, yes?  :maul:

~☆~ Lorra

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #35 on: Apr 17, 2021, 12:48 PM »
This is a great and detailed Wip!! You've made wonderful progress.

And it seems like you're in great hands with your Ruus'alor!!

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2021, 08:17 PM »
Finally able to reengage the forum after a long hiatus. I have not been idle!
-:-:-:- May -:-:-:-
1. Extended the vambraces to cover more of each forearm.
a. Extension base, dart carrier (before I decided to wear the darts on the right!)

b. Extension base, blade carrier (pre-switch)

c. With Apoxie Scuplt shaping (roughed up the paint job first, to be sure it sticks)

d. Blade carrier, shaped after the clay cured

e. Dart carrier, shaped

2. Made myself a mythosaur pendant, for fun!
a. Wet Apoxie Sculpt (used a segment of straw to maintain the hole for a paracord to pass through)

b. Cured

c. Painted during the last push to finish painting

3. Made the last push to finish painting everything
a. Primer on bigger shoulder bells and extended vambraces

b. Dark undercoat

c. Metallic

d. Night Owl Blue

e. Final Red

f. For posterity, the colors I used (I started with 3 cans of each, except the beige, and ended up with less than one can of each when I was done.)

Notice I had decided the paint doesn't have to be perfect on the vambraces, because I'm going to sand it halfway off, anyway. This paint process was much less stressful than all the earlier ones, because of my earlier weathering experiments.
4. Finished the new shoulder bells in prep for the May armor party (then went off and left them at home instead of getting them to the party!)
a. New left bell prepared for stencil painting, for comparison to the old bell - the Vizsla mark on the new one is as big as the original bell

b. Right bells, for size comparison

c. No more bobble-head!

Edited to add: Failed to note earlier that Dakota had an epiphany during the armor party! She asked Chuck, who was hosting, "Do you have any foam?" and he produced a sheet of egg carton-style padding. She cut a chunk out and shoved it up under my vest, lifting my breastplates and collar into a solid uni-boob and making all the spacing work. Go Dakota! You are brilliant. :kiss:

5. Weathered the lower body
a. Knees before

b. Knees after sanding and rub-n-buff

c. Knees after black wash

d. Everything else, done!

e. And all the lower body plates together, now completely pants- and boots-agnostic - I'm pretty proud of that!

-:-:-:- June -:-:-:-
The month of June was not my friend. Nor was it a friend to anyone in my immediate family, human and fur-baby alike. 'Nuff said.
-:-:-:- July -:-:-:-
I made it back from the fiasco that was June in the evening on the 15th of July. Already wa-ay negative in PTO at work, I decided I might as well take the entire day of the 16th off for sanity. I spent several hours (1pm-8:30pm) sewing velcro on my vest per the lines sketched on it by Dakota and Michael at the armor party in May. Turns out, you can sew the heavy-duty, sticky-back velcro on cloth without bending or breaking the needle if you have Albolene cream and patience. Lots of both. (And alcohol, alcohol helps, too.) Determined to be able to wear my kit to Comicpalooza, because I'd managed to get home in time, I then worked on weathering the upper body plates, and cleaning up the paint-dust mess in my kitchen, until 3:30am Saturday.
1. Shoulder bells
a. Before

b. After

2. Breastplates
a. Before

b. After

3. Collar pieces
a. Before

b. After

4. Ab plate and gauntlets
a. Before

b. After

5. Helmet - I thought going after this would hurt more than it did - as the blue popped out, I felt like it was just getting cooler by the scuff
a. Before

b. After

6. Vambraces
a. Before

b. After

7. Curved backplate
a. Before

b. After

8. So, I went to Comicpalooza and wore my unfinished kit with pride. Several people stopped me to take pics with me, and the little boys going, "Whoa! That's a Maul Mando!" absolutely made my day. They asked their Dad to take a photo of each of them with me. I, in turn, stopped two people and asked my riduur to take one for me.
a. I met a Din Djarin

b. and a post-Clone Wars Obi-Wan

That day made me happy. More exhausted, but happy. I am now working on the bayonets - because no one has told me not to - and chewing on what I really want my belt/sash to look like. Jury is out. I was very comfortable in my kit that day as it was, so wanting to make sure I don't add a belt that hinders my movement any more than what I already have.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2021, 01:36 AM by D'shon Lorra » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2021, 08:35 PM »
This time, I am cross-posting here from the thread in Clan Arqet's area! https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=199288
-:-:-:-:-
Update, with a specific question at the very end:
Chuck advised me to go on Amazon for a girth belt to use as a waist sash, and I have had my way with it. The belt: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SQFXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
Step one was to dye it, which proved harder than I thought it should be. I followed the instructions on these two bottles of dye to the letter (to the best of my ability with a big pot of water in a gas oven) and that did not touch its color.

First try result:

So I tried again with it on a cookie sheet with no water, just the dye drizzled on. I left it in there for over 5 hours and am convinced some of the color it took on is heat damage. (Also, with the D-rings removed from the center reinforcement.)

Shown there with the undyed leather scraps I cobbled together for the "buckle" section.
I poured red wine on both and baked them again. That made little difference.
I went after the "buckle" with the dyes - this is the 'before' picture, showing just the wine stain on that.

Dabbing dye on it with cotton balls worked great! I topped it off with Miracle Shoe Balsam:
I then decided to add a belt over top using the same strap and buckles as on the rest of my kit.
And it wanted an iron heart.

That iron hear is just velcroed on over top of the center buckle. Velcro loop half is pinned in place.

Very firmly.

-:-:-:-:-
I have also been busy on the bayonets.
Reminder: they are constructed of layers of 3mm sintra, a full tang 'blade' layer with two layers per side for the hilts.

After giving up trying to make their bayonet lugs identical by hand, it occurred to me that I could use these saved bits to at least give them the same inner diameter and overall look:

These are the little plastic protectors that come with this style of shelf: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Black-5-Tier-Steel-Wire-Shelving-Unit-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-16-in-D-21656PS-1/203846576. I have bought several different varieties over the years and usually save these little plastic rings. Now, I know why.  ;D
I was going to make sintra scabbards for them, but found my patience for it was lacking. The bag of leather scraps I bought at the craft store had plenty to make sheaths, but it was thin, so I split the difference and put the sheath over the rough scabbard forms I had started.

Candle wax on embroidery floss worked fine for sewing this thin leather.
They'll ride in my spats just fine.

Then, I got the bright idea to rubber coat the bayonets entirely.

And to wrap their hilts in paracord. One red, to match the quarterstaff, and one coyote to match my honor braid.

I am very pleased with them so far.

When I rubber coated them, my original plan was to go back after and file down the blade edges and make them shiny with rub-n-buff, here:

But before I do that, I must ask: is that too realistic? Would it better for trooping if I left them obviously black and not edged?

~☆~ Lorra

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #38 on: Aug 19, 2021, 12:29 AM »
Mostly a cross-post from the thread in Clan Arqet

After the comments received there, I will probably talk myself into edging the bayonet blades... they need to be as close to proper weapons as possible, to stand in for our Religious Artifacts, after all.   :maul:

Now for pre-pre-App pics, kindly taken by clan vode on Sunday:

1. Front -

2. Right -

3. Back with cape -

4. Left -

5. Arms up -

6. Helmetless -

7. Back with no cape -

I have since sewn the strips of the sash together so they cannot crisscross or split up as much as they were doing that day, put some weathering and more accessories on the newest belt, and gone after my cape with three cans of paint and a lighter. The lighter seems to have been the real epiphany: dusting the cape with spray paint provided very subtle weathering, like the black wash on my plates, where the lighter flame does some heavy wear and tear, analogous to the sandpaper’s role for the plates.

When I am satisfied that the paint dust has cured on the cape, I’ll put it on and get some more pics with it.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2021, 12:56 AM by D'shon Lorra » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

Arco'thyel Wyshla

• Your resident crazy cat mando
« Reply #39 on: Aug 22, 2021, 05:44 PM »
What a cool build! I've always loved the Maul-dalorians, and it's cute that the kids recognized you as such. :D I think my favorite detail is the Nite Owl blue underneath, there's a story!

I agree with your clan, go with the edged bayonets to complete the look! If an event you troop is concerned about weapons, they'll usually check and tag them individually.

Best of luck with pre-app!

Arco's armor concept thread: Come help me plan things out!

WIPs: Soft parts

"Visit Mandalore before Mandalore visits you. Take home some souvenirs—a slab of uj cake and a smack in the mouth." ―Baltan Carid

"Don’t take this the wrong way you guys, but uh, Mandalorians are crazy." ―Ezra Bridger

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #40 on: Oct 07, 2021, 07:42 PM »
Thank you, Arco'thyel! That was some heady positive reinforcement, being recognized immediately. Made my day!

An update, cross-posted from my entry in the Arqet clan area:

Thank you for the feedback! Not ready to deal with full kit pics again yet - last attempt was in evening twilight and the whole thing appears purple. Kind of a cool effect, but not how it really looks in person. Definitely need someone knowledgeable about our armor to take the pics, to help me get the spacing right. I cannot adjust the upper body plates myself while wearing it all.

Taken before the cod piece effort, after the belt additions:

-:-:-:-:-:-

Cape weathering:
1. Used three cans of paint for dusting

2. Then went after it with a lighter

Cod piece shortening:
1. As they were, they always appeared to be touching my thigh guards

2. Now shorter, like a transitional step between a full codpiece and the essentially-no-codpiece of the post-Empire Mandos

3. Still pants-agnostic

Vambrace hinges, because that tongue-in-groove system got on my last nerve! One of them jumped ship at Comicpalooza, thankfully not in a crowd, and they were so difficult on the day of the twilight photo that I swore they had to be fixed.
1. Pre-amputation of the tongue

2. Post-amputation, and showing how the piano hinge wedged nicely under the 3mm extension on the top half

3. Apoxie Sculpt is awesome! (Also, this one needed to have the pinned edge built up, wax paper is in prep for that step.)

4. All done, inside

5. Both together, hinge side

6. And pin side

-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Edges on the bayonets

-:-:-:-:-:-:-

More interest added to the ammo/utility belt: rings, D- and otherwise, because why not? Of course on paracord cross-pieces, maybe to be a base for magnetic tins... maybe not.

Seems like I should be able to hang or clip anything I like on one of them. Shiny D-rings in front, rusty round rings in back.

Soon, I will put it all on and pose for pics. In daylight.

~☆~ Lorra

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2021, 11:45 PM »
Cross-post from my thread in our clan area.
Progress:
-:- Mounted helmet fan

-:- Mounted mic in helmet

-:- Created skin for speaker

And verified they all work.
I talked myself into going in kit to ren fest this past weekend to check out how it holds up. My patience for it was about 3 hours: it was great fun, I know I made some kids (and kids at heart!) very happy, posing for pics and such, but it was exhausting. I learned the mic/speaker setup works great in confined spaces, and is nearly unintelligible when I am out in the open, even at full volume. I learned that the clip on the back of the speaker is a terrible attachment mechanism and must be replaced. I learned that the battery pack of the fan is unreliable in its current state and needs a secondary way to hold it together. I learned that being in a helmet conveys celebrity status that thankfully disappears when one changes into normal ren fest garb. I learned that no way are the thigh plates going to be pants-agnostic: they are too heavy and need a velcro patch on the front of each thigh. I can live with that.
I am really glad I chose to go in the alternate black flight suit I have been working on, otherwise I would not have learned that about the thigh plates because the mottled brown flight suit has that patch from before the pleather-over-velcro straps became a thing.
Sadly, I have no pics from ren fair yet.
I do have pics of both flight suits from when I was talking myself into it. I shared then with my Ruus'Alor Sol'yc and have been given the thumbs-up to proceed to application photos. So, I count these as my official pre-app photos.
-:- Original brown flight suit:
1. Front

2. Right

3. Back

4. Left

5. Weathering details
--a. Slashes repaired but "blood stained" (sedona red from a past project)

--b. Close up of slashed right arm

--c. "Burns" patched on left arm

--d. and left thigh

-:- Alternate black flight suit:
1. Front

2. Right

3. Back

4. Left

The black had been hit with four dustings of spray paint by then: beige, metallic, black rubber, and green. And none of it showed up in the pics.
So, more has been added since:
-:- Before, left

-:- Before, right

-:- You could sometimes see the rubberized splatters in diffuse light

and

So, I went after it again with chalky white (closest thing I already have to the frosted window coating that has been recommended) and some textured black

-:- After, left

-:- After, right

-:- detail

-:- detail on slashed arm

Now, to sew those patches on the front of each thigh of the black pants, sort out how to secure the battery cover for the fan, and fit the speaker with a new attachment scheme.
Tell me I'm close now?  :maul:

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2021, 11:56 AM by D'shon Lorra » Logged
~☆~ Lorra

Rilal Birom

• Digur haar shupur, al draar digur haar bajur.
« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2021, 11:27 AM »
Looking good there!  Hopefully you get through to full application soon!

Cabur Akaata #217     Vode Be Vhekad #22     House Nelvaan #7     

Post-Imp WIP

Facebook
Instagram

Tramp Graphics

• Illustrator
« Reply #43 on: Oct 20, 2021, 04:12 PM »
If you want thigh plates that are “pants agnostic”, you need to secure them with straps, one at the top which hangs it from your belt, and a second set (or two) wrapped around the thigh. In other words, you would need to wear the thigh plates as if they were drop holsters.

D'shon Lorra

« Reply #44 on: Oct 22, 2021, 03:51 PM »
Tramp, that is very like the idea I have flirted with to make them a "garter belt" to hang from. That may be in their future. Thanks!

~☆~ Lorra

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!