Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dannydarko's road to OM, Minor Update 1/28/20

• 13 Replies

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
Dannydarko's road to OM, Minor Update 1/28/20
« on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:06 PM »
Howdy!

Starting the preliminary work on my chest armor and after much deliberation I have decided to go with the "female" (does that even matter with Mandos?) Clan Wren Grunt Armor, found on these very forums! Here are a couple of pictures, how is the size and spacing before I transfer the templates to card stock?

This second one shows where my navel is, I'm not sure it matters with this armor style:

I'm going to eventually be forming this out of 14 or 16 gauge aluminum sheet so I want to be 100% on with the size.

Let me know your thoughts!

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2020, 04:44 PM by Dannydarko89 » Logged

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Clan Wren chest armor for my eventual OM
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:30 PM »
WHere did you find the Rebels style templates?  :jango:

Jedi Hunter WIP I Daimyo Boba WIP I Early Crusader WIP

I'm a Texan and Mandalorian, firearms are part of my religion

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2020, 06:48 PM »
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SZxsNJNCqyoSbZDmETmRDQ46MuDBrpvF/view?usp=sharing

I can't remember where I downloaded them which is a shame, I would love to give credit where credit is due. But there's a link to where I have it saved!

Dhatracyn

• Ahsoka-Mando
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:03 PM »
Myra Tiin's patterns from what it says, she has an amazing graffiti Mando:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=129331.0

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Myra Tiin's patterns from what it says, she has an amazing graffiti Mando:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=129331.0

That's the one! Apologies!

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Any advice on the spacing/size? Really itching to get some work done while I wait for my bucket to get here! :vizsla:

pointblank666

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2020, 06:32 PM »
They taper down to much to the ab plate which makes the ab not big enough. If you make the taper from the chest to the ab plate more subtle and made the ab wider and a tad longer  it would work. For reference try to achieve about the same coverage as boba/jango chest plates - even a little less is ok. You can also move the collar down a bit, top of the collar should be on or slightly below your collar bone.

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2020, 06:38 PM by pointblank666 » Logged
I like Star Wars.

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2020, 07:07 PM »
They taper down to much to the ab plate which makes the ab not big enough. If you make the taper from the chest to the ab plate more subtle and made the ab wider and a tad longer  it would work. For reference try to achieve about the same coverage as boba/jango chest plates - even a little less is ok. You can also move the collar down a bit, top of the collar should be on or slightly below your collar bone.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I see what you are saying, let me see what I can do. I may have to make the chest templates a tad bigger as well.

I Re-drew the templates, squared 'em off a bit and came up with the following:

I see the wonkiness of the left chest area, I think that is just because of the nature of the card stock and me lifting my arm. It looked fine with my arm down.
I feel much better about these plates, and with some approval I will move forward!

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2020, 08:30 PM by Dannydarko89 » Logged

pointblank666

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: Modified Clan Wren Chest Plate WIP, New pics 1/25/20
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:26 PM »
The chest templates look great! Just make sure the chest has the same spacing between plates, no more than an inch and no more than 1/2 inch around the diamond. Great job  :like:

I like Star Wars.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:41 PM »
Your collar was actually in the correct place before and is sitting too low now. It should be "almost choking you" as a guide.

Width looks a lot better!!! Move it all up and it's golden  :D

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

Unon Dhul

• Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2020, 07:52 PM »
I second the above comments. The bottom of you ab plate should end around your belly button and the top of the collar should be up against the bottom of your neck. do what you need from there to get the length correct.

"You're still good to me dead."

- Unon Dhul #1745

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:18 PM »
The chest templates look great! Just make sure the chest has the same spacing between plates, no more than an inch and no more than 1/2 inch around the diamond. Great job  :like:
¹

Awesome! I will make the adjustments and get these cut out shortly!

Your collar was actually in the correct place before and is sitting too low now. It should be "almost choking you" as a guide.

Width looks a lot better!!! Move it all up and it's golden  :D

Thank you for your response! I will do that, should only need to move up an inch or two!  :maul:

I second the above comments. The bottom of you ab plate should end around your belly button and the top of the collar should be up against the bottom of your neck. do what you need from there to get the length correct.

Good advice, thank you! Belly button and neck, got it!  :like:

Sar Vitaan

• Batuu Clan Foundling
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Minor update time!

I settled on a paint scheme while I wait to purchase enough armor materials for my Girlfriend and I:

There will be plenty of weathering ala Boba.  :maul:

Also, I ordered the Rubies Boba 3 Piece helmet, along with all the fiberglass, bondo, and tools needed to bring it up to troopability, so as soon as that gets here I will be throwing pics of that up as well. Everything is coming up Millhouse! ;D

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: Dannydarko's road to OM, Minor Update 1/28/20
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I’m liking this look :) following with interest!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!