Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Faux sleeves?

• 2 Replies

Leira

Faux sleeves?
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:32 PM »
I, as most of the Mando world, get warm and I want to reduce layers. Is it ok to order a long sleeve shirt and add faux short sleeves to match the pants? I would like to avoid a second shirt if possible. I ordered a very thin moisture wicking long sleeve shirt in an effort to reduce heat buildup.

I'm an amateur with advanced tools and intermediate ideas!

Stainless Steel armor WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=182907.0
Re: Faux sleeves?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 12:04 PM »
MY kit isn't approved yet so take what I say with a grain of salt approval wise, but I had the same problem. To fix it, I ordered a longer sleeve in the coveralls than I needed. This gave me extra material to work with. I took the sleeve and folded it back inside itself to where the shorter sleeve would be and sewed it right where I want the outer sleeve to stop. Then, I sewed it again about one and a half inches above that line. Then I pulled it back out. This creates a fake sleeve that looks like a short sleeve with a longer one under it. I've heard of other mandos using the technique before but since I've never been through the approval process I'm not sure if it's ok to use. Hope that helps.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Faux sleeves?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2020, 01:00 PM »
As you describe, if the short sleeves match the pants (and the long sleeves don't), you don't need to be wearing the whole torso of both shirts.  You have two options for how to accomplish this:

Option 1: Remove the sleeves of the long-sleeve shirt and stitch them inside the short sleeves of the other shirt.

Option 2: Take the short sleeve shirt and cut out a portion of the torso around where the sleeves attach, then stitch them onto the long-sleeved shirt.

Option 2 is best if you want to take advantage of the moisture-wicking properties of the long-sleeved shirt.  Option 1 is easier to do.  With either option, at least a portion of the pants-matching shirt is retained, but only that portion that might be visible through the arm holes of the vest, giving the illusion of it being a single, one-piece garment with the pants.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!