Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Finished my blaster

• 4 Replies
Finished my blaster
« on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:43 PM »
So first post from a newbie here.
This seems like a cool group with a lot more creative freedom than the 501st.  So here's my blaster for my mando character.  I haven't done a whole lot of research as of yet but part of the load out for my guy is going to be a blaster so I tried to make a blaster in the same vein of thought that the original production team did in the 70s.  Take something existing, batter it about, glue a bunch o stuff to it and make it look used.  So without further ado,

I based it on an DISABLED BB Gun resembling a Beretta 92 and used E6000 (my best friend) to adhere a bunch of junk I had lying about.

So I jumped the gun (pardon the pun) a bit here.  I went scavenging and thought I was done but it kept gnawing at me that I wasn't done.

Then more painting.  I should add that I painted the body with a glossy black and the grips with metallic gold before I assembled them. (Sorry no pics)  Then to "gunmetal" it up I had a leftover jar of Graphite Powder and painted it on with a combination of brush and paper towel.  Then sealed it with several coats of super hold hair spray.  Works for my drawings, why not props?

Finally, I weathered it by using a black/brown acrylic wash to get it greasy looking and for some random reason I scuffed it up with creamy yellow acrylic. 

Aaaaand that's the story.  Comments and criticism are welcome.  I am a loooong way from completion on the rest of the kit but I thought this'd be an easy, confidence boosting, win.

Re: Finished my blaster
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:58 PM »
I like it, to me it gives off a Robocop vibe while still being in the star wars universe. I think that maybe some cross-hairs or some sorta scope internals would be good so its not just a tube on the side of the blaster or maybe add some greebles on the exterior of the scope.  Overall its really cool!   

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2020, 02:11 AM by GHOSTLASER15 » Logged

Tal Choruk

• I'll appear from the shadows...as an OM....
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2020, 10:46 AM »
I agree that it is very slick and applaud the work put into it.

Having said that, I think the rear of the slide area needs work - The Hammer needs to be removed, the palm rest need to appear 'less earthy' and I might try to switch he flat head screws for phillips or torx screws to lean even more into the Star Wars realm.

Then again, I am no Ruus'alor nor official app team, so I may just be a voice to ignore.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:45 AM »
Thanks for suggestions!  Keep em coming!
I have some thumb screws leftover from a pc build I did a few years back and they'd make great adjustment knobs on the scope.  I'll add some rings to it and try to address the internals, maybe some clear tinted plastic of some sort?  I dunno but it's a good direction to go in.   Do you think if I sculpted the hammer into a different shape that it might have a better appearance?  Han Solo's and Din Jarin's blasters have visible hammers and I was hoping I could keep mine but granted it is a bit standard looking.  I also wanted to keep the bare minimum of functionality regarding the hammer and trigger.  As I stated in the post, I disabled the workings of the gun and it'll never so much as hold another BB again but there's a degree of realism that lends itself to a functioning hammer and trigger.  I'm reminded of Din Jarin cocking his blaster in IG 11's face as he was about to remove his helmet. 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2020, 07:32 PM »
I have some thumb screws leftover from a pc build I did a few years back and they'd make great adjustment knobs on the scope.  I'll add some rings to it and try to address the internals, maybe some clear tinted plastic of some sort? I dunno but it's a good direction to go in.

It is a good start look around here and other in universe blasters to get inspired

As for sculpting a Hammer would be a good idea. I'd recommend looking at the K-16 Bryar Pistol, It has a hammer and is in universe, Id also think looking a revolvers hammers would be good inspiration because they have the gunslinger vibe to them.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!