Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Starting my armor: ? Scale of the templates

• 3 Replies
Starting my armor: ? Scale of the templates
« on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Here I am! New in every sense of the word.  I found the template that were for my exact height; 4’9”.  So I have cut my templates out.  My question is referring to the scale included with the templates.  I have never worked with scale per say. So how do I make changes to the templates based on utilizing the scale? Or, was the scale to be taken into account prior to cutting?!  I plan on working on small pieces to become familiar with cutting ,shaping  and sanding. Also, to do to scale does this require a printer that well has more options than a regular home office type?  I am excited to get to this point.
Another question pertaining to chest armor and shaping for female. Is the dart method the only way? I am looking for a less pronounced look; than, what I have seen on the female armor build forum.  I welcome the direction and input. Experience of those before me, direct me.
Khatalli Dret
“Trials create endurance, endurance creates character and character creates confidence. A Warrior without fear”

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Starting my armor: ? Scale of the templates
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Assuming you're referring to the WoF templates here on the site, the scale is set up so that each of the long blocks in the scale is one inch. They can be printed on a normal household printer, just be sure to select "fit to printable area" when you go to print. Also, as a side note: unless it states otherwise, they're set up to print on standard 8.5"x11" paper. Using another size paper can throw the scaling off.

To make changes, most of us just print a set or two in our rough height, tape them on, and add or subtract material by cutting the pattern and retaping as needed. I went a slightly different route and vectorized them to allow me to adjust scaling in Adobe Illustrator, but I also did that because I have access to industrial machines that most folks don't.

Another way to accomodate the female form with regards to armour is to do sharper angles in the shaping, rather than smoother curves. Admittedly, your best bet is to probably ask in the Female Armor section about that. I don't have a lot of direct experience with this particular element, so my knowledge base here is limited.

Looking forward to seeing your build, vod. Cheers!

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Thank you for the response. Yes, I am utilizing WoF templates. Thank you, for the pointers on fitting with two copies. Also, got it will ask female armor; I like the sharper angles.  Again thank you. I can’t wait to have results to share.

PorkRoll

• try to avoid a mandon't
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2020, 05:35 PM »
You can also start the next size up.  Easier to cut away  parts that are too big.  And definitely do a trial run using paper/cardboard  to get sizing.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!