Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kok'ro Heliost Kit WIP

• 9 Replies

Kokotankuu

• Kok'ro Darrvah
Kok'ro Heliost Kit WIP
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:43 AM »
Hello Yall, thought it was high time I got to my WIP for my second kit. After being 2 years with the MMCC, I'm more than ready to start. This kit has gone through a lot of style changes since its first inception. I was going to do a Valkyrie inspired kit but the helmet I purchased almost a year ago, still hasn't gotten here and I had to switch plans at least helmet wise.  The color scheme hasn't really changed, white with accents of red blue and antique gold.  Since Bird motif is life...I ran away with it and found a Heliost from Bespin that has my same color scheme, so I'm running away with that. 

My plan it to make the kit so that the helmet is interchangeable between this design:

And this one, which is more inspired by the Heliost and a little more streamlined

This is still the basic idea for armor, though now it will have minor changes and upgrades. little more red worked into it.

I managed to snag a Helmet from Headshot props for their Black Friday sale in 2019.

It needs a lot of work and was extremely thick in areas along with having bad mold bubbles.

As soon as my helmet got to me, I got to work designing

Starting to put things together

Decided that the front needed something, so I decided to mimic some texture on the Heliost.

Transferred the pattern onto craft foam so I could flip it and get the same designs.

The start of the designs is all epoxy sculpt. I had started the Jaig eyes as 3d, so it became it's own thing

Finished designs and starting the weathering. Yup, this time I'm going hardcore on the battle damage aesthetic.

Hey it fits

More damage

Added Epoxy sculpt to around the eyes and the headspines

Going for Blaster bolts, wind damage, and of knife fights etc.

I'm all for air flow in my helmet. I get slightly claustrophobic if I don't get enough air. So the ears both have cuts in them that I will add fabric to. I also had a blank back of the head plate where the grate usually is....so I made one

Added a mesh, fabric to be added later.

Thanks to Henry's Helmet Fans, I'll have two bad boys in my helmet. I'm counter sinking them a bit on the inside. You can also see how much I had to shave off...still a lot to do.

Time to start on the soft parts.
My vest wraps around me from the back and zips up the front, then a top part fits over and clips into place, no zipper seen. I swear this color is a gray...pictures make it look pink

I decided on a contrasting strap and a brushed brass buckle for this kit (PICS TO COME)

Two side capes in the shape of wings there will be an outside layer in a yellow gold/ and the inside three layers will be blue.
Colors

Design

I did a machine embroidery test

I am also making Jet boots. So I'm got halfchaps. I have large calves, so I got some from Fuller Fillies from the UK

They work great ^^b

More to come later thanks for joining me guys!

Baelin Halon

• The Reclaimer
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Kok'ro Heliost Kit WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:45 AM »
Awesome work
 Keep it up

M.A.F.I.A. Co-Founder
M.A.N.T.A. Member
B.O.O.M. Member 004
V.O.T.S. Member 038
Cabur Akaata Member 003

Kruser

• Helmet on. Heart gone.
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:59 AM »
WIP IT!  WIP IT GOOD!

Excellent job thus far!  Thank you for the thorough visual step by step! 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:36 AM »
man this is excellent! looking forward to seeing how it comes out!

The Red Hand

• Zaro "Ge'tal Gaan" Fayd
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:02 PM »
This.... is amazing. Keep goin! :like:

gra'tua bal ijaat - Vengeance and Honor

Anansi

• Ratiin de gar be'eso, ner vod.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:28 PM »
Excellent work. That helmet is gonna look amazing when it's finished.

May Hod Ha'ran guide my tongue, may Kad Ha'rangir guide my gun, and may Arasuum guide you to your final slumber.

MMCC #2010 - Nevik Marev
Cabur Akaata Member 139 | O.S.B.A. 007
Anansi's Longstrike Carbine
Another Anansi Nerf Mod
Anansi's Armor WIP

Kokotankuu

• Kok'ro Darrvah
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Update 2: The Flack Vest

I decided to really go all out with this vest. It's fully double lined in Duck Canvas, but I decided to trim it too since my colors have blue in it.

My vest goes on over the head, then zips underneath on my stomach, followed but the front over flap that then  buckles into place.
This is how I added the zipper. There is elastic for better hold and it wont shift and change as much as I move.

I decided on a brushed gold metal buckle at 1.5 inches with a thick with a contrasting color strap just for a good look.

Also did some work on my belt buckle. I'm going to have 4 thermal detonators and my two gun holsters. along with some pouches. But I've had this little metal Mytho charm for a while and finally made the buckle more mine. The belt will be a really nice Red dyed leather.

Rhue_Shofytt

• Diet Sprite
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 01:18 AM »
That vest looks good! If I'm not mistaken, it looks similar to whitecrow1's vest concept. Did you add princess seams or darts to the front? I'm thinking about using a similar approach myself but haven't found many females using it :P

Per aspera, ad astra

Kokotankuu

• Kok'ro Darrvah
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 05:16 PM »
That vest looks good! If I'm not mistaken, it looks similar to whitecrow1's vest concept. Did you add princess seams or darts to the front? I'm thinking about using a similar approach myself but haven't found many females using it :P

Yup! Got the design from him, will add my own shoulder bell pieces. But yeah I a
Had to adjust it to the princess seams. It works really well.

Kokotankuu

• Kok'ro Darrvah
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Time for another update!! Lots of work has been done.

The side capes!

What an incredibly time consuming but completely fulfilling project. I have wanted to do wings like this for years and I'm really happy with the result.

First I took the pattern and made 3 separate patterns, one for each chunk of wing "A" "B" and "C"  then laid each piece out and drew the outline out.

After that I machine embroidered all the lines. little by little in the opposite color thread for contrast. This took about 4 hours per side (4 difference wing patterns per side)

Then i cut out around the embroidery, leaving a good chunk of fabric left. Now for the fraying.  Using a cat brush I brushed out the fabric to fray the chunks to give it a feathery texture.   (Another 5 hours per wing and some band aids!)

Continue for all four chunks of feathers, including the yellow back

Top stitch it all together!!

I am happy with the result

I repeated the whole process again with the second wing, flipping the direction of the pattern.

Now onto the Sash and loin!

I made a quick sash with the left over yellow fabric, which I will edge and bias tape later in a dark blue.  I found this amazing Vinyl that is dark blue on one side and a yellow orange on the other for my loin. I cut that out.

I decided on a back flap as well in the form of a swallow tail to read more 'bird'

I decided I didn't like the raw edge of the vinyl and added some bias tape.

Currently everything pinned on to the dress form for my scrutiny.

The Signet
Gurreck clan did a lot of talking about family Signets and Sigils over the last few weeks. My husband and I designed one for us. Be both have a fascination with the air and flying. With my bird kit is easily becoming more me than my original kit, we put a bird in the Signet. Also Trees and nature have also found a good holding in our lives, so we added that to it as well.

Now I could have gone with a solid color and made a vinyl for my kit....but I can't do anything simply...so I airbrushed. I made 4 separate stencils and got to work.

Then outline the whole thing.

Sewed that in a patch to my loin cloth. I love it.

The Helmet Continued
Back to the helmet, I finally got up enough courage to do the ear wings. I tried twice before with 6 mm sintra and just didn't like it and it stuck out too far....so I went with 3mm. And it looked much better.

Glued them together and dremeled away enough from the inside so it sat nicely.

I added epoxy sculpt for added stability and strength behind, and around the edges.

Trophies
Each member of my family gets a trophy. Most of them are in the form of Iron Hearts with specific colors of designs on them to hang from my belt or with my wookie braids. So I started the painting process. I'll weather and over paint when the actual weather gets nicer.

My mom has always been the head of our family so she needed something cool. I got an Imperial Rank bar for a Mof from OPLEprops on etsy found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/730294179/ople-props-mando-trophy-imperium-quality

Mine looks like this:

I also made some small beaded trophies to go with the Iron Hearts

Weapons!

There will be many, including an axe, two guns, 4 thermal detonators from Pam, a flame thrower and missile launcher on gauntlets.

The Axe is a Mandalorian Executioner's axe. I love me some Ap'Lek from the Knights of Ren and luckily he has the perfect weapon.

I made my hilt to come apart for easy carrying in a kit box. all out of PVC pipe pieces.  The blade itself will be made of Poly carbonate and lexan and Sintra so it will glow. Thanks to the engineering power of my husband.

The Claws

Last of this update is an idea I had. Gloves can have finger armor and I found Starkiller's Sith armor had claw like additions of this gloves. I've decided to add a QNA question to see if these are even approvable. But I did find them in a cannon setting with Starkiller here.

I wanted to try to make removable claws to add to the bird flair.
I started with just some basic cut outs of 3mm sintra

Glued just the top portion together and opened the bottom with a heat gun to make it look like claws.

Epoxy sculpt to the underside (I should get a sponsorship or stock or something ;p I use it everywhere. )

Added a curved small base and added a small piece of elastic to it.

Repeat 4 times. Why not 5? Birds only have 4 and 5 to me looked odd. Starkiller also only has 4 so I went with that. If I change my mind later I can add another one.  I really like them. They're not sharp and move with my hands. Best of all they're removable if I don't feel like wearing them, or if they break they can easily be fixed.

Catch ya next time for more updates!

Next Up: Guns, Leather  and Armor patterning!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!