Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

BigCatPiranha's Big Softie WIP

• 6 Replies
BigCatPiranha's Big Softie WIP
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 11:28 PM »
Hello all! Doing some planning for my soft parts and wanted to check in here for feedback.
Here is what I have so far!

Vest with kama attached for support (attachment will be covered completely by girth belt, waiting to hear back from the app team about that per new CRLs)

Girth Belt

Ensemble with flightsuit (will be scrubs.)

Let me know what you think!

I would also appreciate hearing about any ways to hold up the kama (may be heavy due to sintra armor plates) without a heavy belt if the app team seems the current set up un acceptable!

Thanks!

*Edit*
Armor thread
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=185856.msg2096017#msg2096017

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2020, 11:49 PM by BigCatPiranha » Logged
Re: BigCatPiranha's Big Softie WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Hello again all!
With Spring break last week and distance learning for the rest of the semester I have gotten some work done on my soft parts. Namely I learned how sewing works from my mom while at home last week and took my grandma's old sewing machine with me when I returned to my apartment!

Note: I heard back from the app team that a connected vest/kama will not be approvable so I will separate them. The above image should still work but I will be attaching the kama to a belt (perhaps the inside of the armored girth belt).

We started with this tutorial and drafted a pattern for my vest. I decided to go with single layer duckcloth for the vest as my plates will be self supporting (legacy-style cuirass with connecting sides)

I did the seams and my mom worked on the collar as I needed to see how that was done to wrap my head around it. Seams are finished up and all that left is arms/sleeve-cap-thingys (if I decide I want those) hemming the bottom and adding velcro for closure in the back. As that will be a little more complicated I began to work on the Kama. I drew out a pattern which is hard to see in the picture, then cut it out. (I apologize for looking like a zombie in the second picture was trying to make sure the front panel was in the right spot!)

I drew a pattern for the belt as well but may see if I have enough leather scrap to do that instead

In the waist items department I have my eye on this belt and pouch set. I would have to dye it but the price is right and could look good.

Thanks for reading!
I welcome comments, suggestions and concerns as always!

Big Cat

« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2020, 10:22 AM by BigCatPiranha » Logged
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Hello all!
A couple quick updates and a question.

Did some more work on my Kama. still need to figure out how I'm attaching it to my belt (probably the same one as my cod)

I also forgot to include pictures of the gloves I have for the kit.

And then my question: How would this set of long underwear work? (given that the baggier area near the crotch will be covered by the cod) I'm looking for a long sleeved set that is not perfectly skin tight.

Thanks for reading!

cknight68

• The Phantom of Kamino, a legend among ghost tales.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Hello! I'm Caleb, the costume sergeant for Taakure Clan in Indiana. You're off to a good start. I do have some suggestions for you in regards to your soft parts.

First of all, your vest is starting to take shape and its looking pretty good! Looks a bit baggy in the back a bit in the photo with you lifting your arm up. Although the vest will sit on top of your flightsuit, it still needs to be form fitting to you.

Second, taking a look at the flightsuit itself. What i would recommend is long sleeve medical scrubs and matching scrub pants. They are pretty easy to find and affordable. They will need to be tailored to eliminate bagginess. I wouldnt advise the long johns you attached the link to. Scrubs are easy to get into and just look a bit nicer.

third, your kama. The kama shouldnt be attached to the vest. It should be a separate item along with your girth belt and the belt you'll use for your pouches and gear.

The way I wear my kama is quite similar to my belt. Its made out of thick material and there is a sewn in loop at the top that allows a belt to slip through. I then wear my mando belt over it to hide the other belt.

Your girth belt should be a separate item too.

Those gloves look good. I would weather them and add hand plates to them.

Caleb Knight
Ri Va'lure (Recon) and Noac Toa the Mermando
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Thanks! The vest is open in the back (I haven't attached the velcro closure) but is should be more form fitting when properly closed.

I have been have some trouble finding long-sleeved scrub tops (most appear to be either jackets or simple t-shirts). Do you have any suggestions on where to find them? part of the reason I was looking at the long underwear was because I didn't want to have to wear another long sleeve shirt under my scrubs.)

Yeah, I'm planning on attaching the Kama to a belt underneath my girthbelt. I just have it tucked into the vest right in the picture to get an idea for before I did any more sewing on it.

I can definitely put a hand plate on the gloves (although I may not need both as I am planning on making a crush gaunt for my left hand and may use a different glove for a base). And all sorts of weathering still to be done!

Thanks for your input!

Kurz

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2020, 09:20 AM »
I have been have some trouble finding long-sleeved scrub tops (most appear to be either jackets or simple t-shirts). Do you have any suggestions on where to find them? part of the reason I was looking at the long underwear was because I didn't want to have to wear another long sleeve shirt under my scrubs.)

I know that people usually buy an additional pair of scrub pants, cut the legs and sew them as sleeves.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

cknight68

• The Phantom of Kamino, a legend among ghost tales.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of Charity Work Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2020, 04:30 PM »
i believe you can go to www.uniformadvantage.com and they should be able to have a good selection of long-sleeve scrubs

Caleb Knight
Ri Va'lure (Recon) and Noac Toa the Mermando
MMCC #1827
Brigaider #247
Taakure Clan-Indiana
Ruus'alor

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!