Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sir Auron's WIP Thread

• 11 Replies

Sir Auron

• Ask Me Anything, But Keep It Clean
Sir Auron's WIP Thread
« on: Feb 19, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here is the start of my armor construction.  I've been recommended to start out by finding well-fitting soft parts (flight suit, flak vest, etc.) and will definitely be doing that in the future, especially for the upper body portion.  That being said, I was too excited and at least wanted to try out some stuff.  I chose to build a "simple" (...whoops) armor piece that is the knees. 

Below are some photos for the knee piece that I assembled (pieces for 2nd knee are cut out but not assembled).  Aside from some future trimming via dremel, I am rather pleased with the work.

I am definitely running into trouble regarding the dart block.  I am having trouble reading the drawings. 

At any rate, feel free to question/comment/praise/criticize.  Thanks everyone.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Sir Auron's WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Any start is a good start! The idea on soft parts first is mostly a size/shape point; it's easier to shape the armor to the things you're going to wear under it to avoid the need to reshape later. You're on the right track with the knees, those Fett-style ones are a stone cold pain in the butt. Unfortunately, I do not have much experience with them, so I can't give much in the way of advice. One thing I can suggest is take a look at using a small wooden block to make the dart block and cutting it to shape, rather than trying to build one up from PVC. An inch or two section of 2"x4" would probably work just fine with just a couple of angle cuts to make that trapezoidal shape.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Sir Auron

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2020, 08:56 PM »
Update 3/1/20:

Greetings everyone.  I apologize for what appears to be slow progress.  I've had a mix of sore throat, sinus infection, and more doctor appointments than I can remember of recent memory.  Even as of this post, I am still under the weather.  Is it spring yet?  With what little energy I had over the weekend, I wanted to at least get some stuff done.  I made some progress, but I also ran into an issue.  Details on both below.

Progress:

I made my other knee piece, and with some trimming, I think it'll work out well.  I also made the belly armor, chest diamond (?), and collar.  Below are pictures, both the armor by itself and with my "trying it on."  To address the potential comment of the pieces not being folded to my body shape, I am waiting on buying a flak vest and attending an armor party in the future for guidance.  Regarding the armor shapes and positioning, let me know your criticisms.

Regarding the "trying on" of the armor, here are my original thoughts:

1) I like how the shape of the belly armor came out.  I think it can be raised a little bit, especially if the chest armor does not come out as big as I think.  Plus, that'll give me room for any belt (girth or ammo) I'll be wearing.

2) I also like how the collar came out.  Even if the picture does not completely look like it, I positioned the collar to where it is essentially "hugging my neck" and to where, once shaped, the tops of it will look like it is hanging on my collar bone.

Issue:

I bought some coveralls from Dickies.  It was a "Large" and "Regular Seam" size.  Once I tried it on, even though I could fit into it, it was most definitely not "snug" enough to move around in, so I'll be returning it and will try to get an "Extra Large" and "Less than Regular Seam" size.  If that does not work out, I'm not really sure what my alternative options would be.  At any rate, what are some other suggestions for this soft part?

Still have no solution regarding the dart blocks for the knees.

Upcoming work:

Chest Armor
Shoulders

Sir Auron

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Update 3/7/20 (And request for Guidance regarding two piece soft part):

Hey everyone, here is an update with the progress I made, along with any issues and upcoming items.

Progress:

Over the week, I made the chest armor, shoulder bells, and back armor belt (incorrectly).  Unlike the other armor pieces I've constructed, the chest armor was cut out from 6MM PVC foam, in hopes that the pectorals stick out a little bit more.  Below are some photos; one photo containing all constructed armor pieces by themselves and two photos wearing the armor.  In terms of spacing the armor, I tried to space everything out by placing the width of my thumb and organizing as such.  Again, as a note to "wearing the armor," I understand it's a bit difficult to tell if they meet CRL requirements, as I have not shaped them yet.  The shaping will occur once I get a flak vest.

In addition to the armor, I bought some black scrubs to be used as my two piece suit.  I understand zippers need to be removed, pockets need to not be present, and skin (especially the neck) needs to be covered up.  Aside from that, would the scrubs below suffice as being used for soft parts?

Issues:

I still have not figured out the knee dart blocks, though I may have an idea.  Sadly, I ran out of PVC foam and will have to purchase more before I can move forward.

Also, as you can tell in the 1st photo, I cut out the back belt armor but did it in two pieces, while I probably should have done it in one.  Again, I'll have to purchase more PVC foam before doing so.

Upcoming work:

Fixing of dart blocks
Fixing of belt armor
Cod piece

At any rate, let me know your thoughts.

Sir Auron

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2020, 10:40 PM »
Update 3/14/20 (and request for guidance regarding helmet)

Happy Pi Day everyone!  Here is update with progress, issues, and upcoming schedule.

Progress:

Not being satisfied with the knee blocks I originally made, I re-made them, and they came out (for the most part) cleaner and with a better shape.  After reviewing the forums here, I added some bondo and applied sanding to get that trapezoid (?) shape.  I then applied E6000 glue to the knee side and block side, along with applying clamps to ensure, once the 24-hour curing is over, the blocks will stick.  As a side note, if I ever make any more knee armor in the future, I am most definitely not making dart blocks again; I'll just buy them instead.  At any rate, photos are below.  Once cured, I will cut and sand as appropriate to get that correct angling of the dart blocks that reflect that of Boba Fett's knees.

In addition to the knees, I also made the back armor.  Yay!

For those of you who are interested, here is a photo of overall progress I have made to date regarding armor.

Issues:

As you could probably tell from the photo above, I broke one of the knee pieces (thanks hot glue, way to show your support, pun intended).  I'll attempt to fix it by using E6000 glue.

Also, I have no idea, but I lost the scrub shirt I intended on using, meaning I'll have to buy a new one.

Regarding the helmet, I have not decided on either buying a helmet and just painting it or just build it from scratch.  If anyone has any advice, feel free to respond.

Upcoming work:

Fixing of belt armor
Gauntlets...or, burn and cut myself trying.

Sir Auron

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:22 PM »
Update 3/18/20

Well, I made some good progress...and did something dumb.

The good news...I was finally able to attach the dart block to the knees and (through a lot of bondo, putty, and sanding) get the desired.  For the most part, I believe the shape to be good, and I am, more or less, pleased with the results.  I was so excited with the progress, I ended up proceeding to cut holes into the blocks and insert the darts I have into the holes...which is where I messed up.  Pictures can be found below. 

What I should have done is painted the darts first and then install them into the blocks.  Trying to place painter's tape in-between and around the darts while trying to apply a silver primer to them is now going to be even tougher than before...especially since I have little to no experience painting.

At any rate, one step closer, right?

Also, I was able to work on fixing the armor belt as well; photos are anticipated by this Saturday.  No progress on the gauntlets.

Sir Auron

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Update 3/19/20

So, I had a little extra free time today, so I decided to work a little bit ahead of schedule.  I was able to accomplish the following:

1) Complete the armor belt on one piece of PVC foam
   2) Sanded and completed the 2nd knee armor

Below are the pictures.  I'll be working on gauntlets (or cut and burn myself trying) over the weekend.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Before long you’ll have those plates taped on you if you stay ahead of schedule. Keep up the good work.  Looking forward to updates on the forming

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Sir Auron

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Before long you’ll have those plates taped on you if you stay ahead of schedule. Keep up the good work.  Looking forward to updates on the forming

Thanks Awall, I'm looking forward to the forming process.  I'm hoping to receive help with forming at an eventual armor party (pending obvious recent events).  If mine turns out half as good as yours, I'll be a happy man...dalorian.

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Thanks!  But hey maybe you’ll get the bug and just dive in.  If you don’t have help at a party you always can get help here... form them a bit at a time ... post for us to see and we will help you get em perfect.

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Sir Auron

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:33 PM »
Thanks!  But hey maybe you’ll get the bug and just dive in.  If you don’t have help at a party you always can get help here... form them a bit at a time ... post for us to see and we will help you get em perfect.

I'll heavily consider it.  Thank you sir.

Sir Auron

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2020, 08:55 PM »
*Update as of 8/18/20*

Hey everyone, I know I have not posted anything for a good while (approaching 5 months).  As some of you all may know, I got pretty sick in February with a sinus infection, followed by (I wish I was kidding) being diagnosed with coronavirus in March that lasted until April, and then reactive arthritis in May.  Amongst recovering physically and handling the medical bills, this WIP was put on hold for a long while.  Now that I'm starting to be better off, hopefully I can pick up where I left off.  For those of you that were interested in this WIP, I apologize if I let you all down.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!