Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Potential New Person! With some Questions!

• 12 Replies

Popvip

• Hiya!
Potential New Person! With some Questions!
« on: Feb 23, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Hello! nice to meet everyone,

I go by Han, Hannah or Popvip, so anything works! I live in New Westminster (Metro Vancouver), and am really excited to be here! I have never built an armour kit before or worked with the suitable materials so getting started may take some time!
I do have a couple of questions though, so here goes nothing,

First: I have a little question about the forum rules, specifically the one about necroposting! for example, If I've created a WIP thread (I haven't, but hypothetically) and I go off to work on something and it takes me like 2 months to get an update from my first post? It's still okay to use the same thread right? This is probably really obvious but I'm absolutely terrified of breaking rules XD

Second: I know most people create Mandos from the Modern era, but I fell absolutely head over heels in love with this crusaders era helmet. Is it too ambitious to try a  crusaders era kit as a newbie? I'm worried I'll totally butcher it somehow. if anyone wants to see this is the concept I came up with on a whim the other day, I did read all the requirements, but I definitely missed things. So I would really love some feedback before I do up some more concept art and post in the official Armour Concept thread.

And Finally: Meet-ups! they seem so cool! do you have to be an official member, like with a full kit to go? because I would really like to meet some people and see in person what others have done. Fan Expo isn't the best for that because everyone is so busy! : )

Anyways! Thanks for your time and I hope we can get along!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Potential New Person! With some Questions!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Hi Han!   Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions:  yes, yes, maybe, not at all, and yes. :p

I'm kidding.  Your personal WIP is more or less exempt form the necroposting policy.   We all understand that progress takes time and we actually love to see folks who have to step away for a time come back to the fold, as it were.  It's always best to have a full build log in one place so others can see your full process for a number of reasons.

A crusader is absolutely possible.  I can't speak to that specific bucket, but someone else surely will.  The kit i got approved with is a custom Late Crusader.  I also love that era.  There is no reason at all that a first kit can't be a Crusader.   The only concern is that since most folks are Modern, getting help on a Crusader might be a little slower and you may be asking different folks for advice.  It's totally possible.

We do semi-regular meetups for members and recruits alike, both social and "armor parties" where the point is to help recruits get work done on their kit.  Keep an eye on these forums for dates.  We tend to be more regular about them in the nicer weather :p

[edit - strange, every time I hit enter for a new line it is submitting the post... sorry if you are getting a bunch of notifications.]

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2020, 04:35 PM »
What Zoph said 

Edit- there are some posting rules. No double posting, if you have something to add, edit your previous post and add in what you need to, and then click “save”.

I have quite a few of the armour parties at my house in Burnaby, and usually about 1 week before we post it here in the forums. We get together, bring snacks, and hang out and work on costumes and chat about our builds and lives.

Popvip

• Hiya!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Hi Han!   Welcome to the forums.

To answer your questions:  yes, yes, maybe, not at all, and yes. :p

I'm kidding.  Your personal WIP is more or less exempt form the necroposting policy.   We all understand that progress takes time and we actually love to see folks who have to step away for a time come back to the fold, as it were.  It's always best to have a full build log in one place so others can see your full process for a number of reasons.

A crusader is absolutely possible.  I can't speak to that specific bucket, but someone else surely will.  The kit i got approved with is a custom Late Crusader.  I also love that era.  There is no reason at all that a first kit can't be a Crusader.   The only concern is that since most folks are Modern, getting help on a Crusader might be a little slower and you may be asking different folks for advice.  It's totally possible.

We do semi-regular meetups for members and recruits alike, both social and "armor parties" where the point is to help recruits get work done on their kit.  Keep an eye on these forums for dates.  We tend to be more regular about them in the nicer weather :p

[edit - strange, every time I hit enter for a new line it is submitting the post... sorry if you are getting a bunch of notifications.]

Hey, thanks for answering all my ridiculous questions! I'll keep that in mind about the bucket, I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to give me some advice! It's just so pretty XD This project will probably take me a while anyway so I don't mind people taking some time to get back to me.  I'm hopefully gonna be more available when the weather's nice too when I don't have a bunch of deadlines breathing down my neck! And no worries about any notifications, I don't mind :)

What Zoph said 

Edit- there are some posting rules. No double posting, if you have something to add, edit your previous post and add in what you need to, and then click “save”.

I have quite a few of the armour parties at my house in Burnaby, and usually about 1 week before we post it here in the forums. We get together, bring snacks, and hang out and work on costumes and chat about our builds and lives.

Thanks for letting me know a bit more about the posting rules! I definitely would have messed that up at some point so the information relay was certainly helpful! And that sounds awesome about the armour parties! I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled! hopefully I'll be able to attend in the near future!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2020, 05:55 PM »
I'd also say personally that the "no double posts" rule is a bit relaxed in your own WIP thread.  I don't think anyone would expect you to edit a 2-month-old post in your WIP with an update.   I could be wrong there.  In the end, worst case, someone will pop in and ask you to slow down on the posts.  Nobody is going to ban you for a first infraction that minor.

[EDIT]  If you didn't know, the maker of that helmet is NME Props:  https://www.nmeprops.com/product-page/death-stalker and it is an approved Crusader design according to the official thread:  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=72583.msg1911863#msg1911863

Also, this is the sub-forum for the Crusader builds where you will get the most help from folks who specialize in that era since the rules are quite different than a Modern kit:  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=85.0

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2020, 06:21 PM by Zophar Ptay » Logged
Late Crusader WIP

Popvip

• Hiya!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2020, 06:33 PM »
I'd also say personally that the "no double posts" rule is a bit relaxed in your own WIP thread.  I don't think anyone would expect you to edit a 2-month-old post in your WIP with an update.   I could be wrong there.  In the end, worst case, someone will pop in and ask you to slow down on the posts.  Nobody is going to ban you for a first infraction that minor.

[EDIT]  If you didn't know, the maker of that helmet is NME Props:  https://www.nmeprops.com/product-page/death-stalker and it is an approved Crusader design according to the official thread:  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=72583.msg1911863#msg1911863

Also, this is the sub-forum for the Crusader builds where you will get the most help from folks who specialize in that era since the rules are quite different than a Modern kit:  https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=85.0

Thank you! I did know about the maker and its eligibility ( I read a bunch of posts before even making my account, that's where I saw it the first time!) but will 100% give that Crusader Build Sub-Forum a good look over! Thank you so much for sharing it with me! It'll certainly be helpful I'm sure!! : ) I definitely noticed many things were different with Modern and Crusader which is why I was worried about being in over my head - but everyone seems to be really helpful on here, like obviously you guys but also just on the Concept sub-forum and the WIP area, I've been giving a look to different people's threads!

Vorir Gah'Kurs

• Ruus'amoose
  • The Maestro
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40+ hrs Charity 40+ hrs of charity work recorded
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Any task, no matter how daunting can be taken on with a few extra teeth to chew. I would love to see Wasu'ran get a Crusader to what you posted on Imgur; I'm quite impressed. GardenGeek has a true talent for building kits, so when you start looking into the logistics on where to start, rely on her experience. I say start with the soft parts; flightsuit or spandex (depending on if you want form fitted or loose) and move from there. Once you find a comfortable pair of boots, wear them endlessly to break them in. When in kit you can hardly sit down (by free will, or armour restriction), so having proper footwear is crucial to long troop days.

Welcome, and have fun!

MMCC-1421
Shereshir'Ca - 009
B.E.A.R.D.S. - 114

Popvip

• Hiya!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:29 AM »
Any task, no matter how daunting can be taken on with a few extra teeth to chew. I would love to see Wasu'ran get a Crusader to what you posted on Imgur; I'm quite impressed. GardenGeek has a true talent for building kits, so when you start looking into the logistics on where to start, rely on her experience. I say start with the soft parts; flightsuit or spandex (depending on if you want form fitted or loose) and move from there. Once you find a comfortable pair of boots, wear them endlessly to break them in. When in kit you can hardly sit down (by free will, or armour restriction), so having proper footwear is crucial to long troop days.

Welcome, and have fun!

Thank you for the compliment! drawing is where most of my creative abilities lie so the amount of sketches I do before starting anything will probably be plentiful. And thank you for the advice about the soft parts! and especially the shoes, I hadn't even thought of that! I definitely don't want my feet to hurt in full armour!  and I'm not sure if I'll do flight suit or spandex, I'll have to do some more research : )

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2020, 01:04 PM »
It is my personal experience that boots, flightsuit and helmet are top priorities.  Having. A helmet staring at you tends to motivate people :p

Late Crusader WIP

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:10 PM »
It is my personal experience that boots, flightsuit and helmet are top priorities.  Having. A helmet staring at you tends to motivate people :p

This!

Also, welcome! Please feel free to ask any and all questions!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Good day!

I'm just going to chime in with a quick "welcome!" And just point out you have a good grip on manuvering  around on the forum!
I know first hand how it can be sometimes trying to find information on here, but it appears you have already done amazing on that end and like everyone keeps pressing, ask if you need help.

Oh! Also! Don't feel the need to rush. This is a marathon, not a race. I personally was not an official Merc for 6 or so years. I've seen some people showing the signs of burnout trying to reach an imaginary goal or feeling pressure to go faster. Don't worry. Just take a break and enjoy real life, (it's far more exciting!), and we will be there when you need/want us. 

And again, welcome foundling.
 :D

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

Popvip

• Hiya!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:16 PM »

The helmet tempts me daily! I want it so badly! XD

This!

Also, welcome! Please feel free to ask any and all questions!

Got it! and thank you for the warm welcome!

Good day!

I'm just going to chime in with a quick "welcome!" And just point out you have a good grip on manuvering  around on the forum!
I know first hand how it can be sometimes trying to find information on here, but it appears you have already done amazing on that end and like everyone keeps pressing, ask if you need help.

Oh! Also! Don't feel the need to rush. This is a marathon, not a race. I personally was not an official Merc for 6 or so years. I've seen some people showing the signs of burnout trying to reach an imaginary goal or feeling pressure to go faster. Don't worry. Just take a break and enjoy real life, (it's far more exciting!), and we will be there when you need/want us. 

And again, welcome foundling.
 :D

Thank you for the warm welcome! everyone has been so kind so far! I am definitely not afraid to ask for help! I know when I'm out of my depth on certain things, and why not take advantage of what seems to be a fantastically helpful community! Thank you for the advice about taking my time, its good to know I won't be the slowest one out there, regardless of my speed XD Right now I'm just having fun coming up with my concept! (also yeah, forums are a bit out of my comfort zone, but I think I'm getting better)

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2020, 12:36 AM »
Get good enough at the forums and I may be going to you to help find things!

;D

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!