Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aryiea's Helmet

• 9 Replies
Aryiea's Helmet
« on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:52 PM »
Getting some more progress on my bucket - reinforcing the inside, clamping the cheeks to reinforce/straighten them out, filling some cracks, etc. Still needs a lot of work

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Aryiea's Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Those modifications look somewhat familiar...

So I can say from personal experience, you're on the right track and progressing nicely. :)

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Haha yep  :laugh: hey, how did you go about reinforcing the mandibles (or whatever they're called, the front bottom parts that are right next to the visor)? Right now I'm running into an issue where they're just really wiggly/not stable since I have no visor in my helmet yet, but I need to cut the eyes out further and obviously I want it to be symmetrical so them wiggling around isn't great, lol. How did you handle that?

My first idea was to glue a support in at the bottom, so I've done that, but do you have another other suggestions?

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Like you did, I glued in a shim while I was prepping it.  You could probably glue in another one higher for more stability when you trim out the eyes.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:03 AM »
My second shim fell off  :laugh: but it was useful while it lasted.

Still need to tweak it a bit and fill in some spots at the corners but it's coming along!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Finally got the eye shape right! Edges need some smoothing.

For anyone else who has worked with a Rubie's 2-piece Jango helmet for a base, how did you deal with the weird texture (like little rags of plastic that want to hang on even after sanding..almost kinda fuzzy?)? Part of me wants to coat the whole thing in a thin layer of bondo glazing putty or something? But I'm concerned I might have issues with cracking if I do that. Any suggestions?

OriKad

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 12:01 PM »
Use filler primer (found in walmart's automotive section) first and sand it smooth.  Repeat as necessary.  That's what I did for the several J2Ps I've modded.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Got it painted up  :like: think it's looking good so far. Going to weather it, add the visor, and I got a hardhat suspension that I need to adjust (the straps are too long for my head) and then figure out how exactly I want to insert/attach it, then I can add any extras if I decide I want them.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Lookin snazzy!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Lookin snazzy!

Thanks!  :porg1:

In other news, I'm having some issues finishing this helmet up. Can anyone help?

I bought a hardhat suspension, and shortened the straps so it fits me really well.. Issue I'm having is figuring out how to mount the suspension inside the helmet? Also doing it such that I can get it to actually sit down on my head where it needs to be since I can't fit a hand up inside the helmet to adjust it, lol. I sorta stacked layers of craft foam on 4 places along the band of the suspension to get it situated close to where it needs to be, but I'm not 100% on if it's going to work  :laugh: what have others done? Having a hard time finding info on that lol.

I'm also having issues with the visor. During painting I left that bit of sintra across the bottom to reinforce the mandibles since they are a little flexy... But I can't really put the visor in front of that, and I took it out, but then the visor put too much pressure and caused the mandibles to flex out more than they should, lol. I replaced the sintra with a bit of coat hanger, for now, but that won't solve my issue of reinforcing the bottom bit and still installing the visor. I can post pictures if that will help.

Help??  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!