Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Str8 Shooter WIP (first builds)

• 26 Replies

Lo'Car Raevok

• We're born to die. We live to be remembered.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions.
Str8 Shooter WIP (first builds)
« on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Hello there! First build, concept already completed.  Living in Colorado I was inspired by the "arctic" builds as well as the AT AT driver color scheme.
My soft parts are a medium grey, flak jacket is lighter grey.
I plan on white being the primary armor color with a darker blue for some stripes (thinking right down the middle of the bucket like a mo-hawk, and a frost blue for highlights (2nd under layer of armor).  Maybe a few touches of red (buttons, panels, nothing excessive).
Will have a cape and Kama: grey and/or white.  Still working which will be which.

Items I have:
DHP/FX bucket
Armor cut out of ABS
Dickies work wear pants/long sleeve: standard grey
Duck cloth flak jacket: light grey
Gloves, black, fingerless
Black leather mag pouches
E11, DL44 and/or a modified airsoft long gun

Outstanding
Girth belt: plan on making it out of white upholstery leather
Belt: will make it out of a belt blank, likely to be black.
Tabard (instead of duck cloth)
Boots: the search continues

Goal is to have our kits (my wife, daughter, and I are all making kits concurrently) by SW Celebration.

Pics coming soon!

May your boots be warm, magazines full,  and your blades always sharp!
Original WIP
Environmental Ops Arctic Build WIP

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Re: Str8 Shooter WIP (first builds)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:29 PM »
Commenting to follow :)

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Looking forward to your updated pics.  I like arctic kits!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Lo'Car Raevok

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Here is a link to some pics so far: templates, cut out templates (working on these) flak jacket, soft parts (Dickie's work wear), concept for girth belt/belt, some prop weapons, pouches, pouches, pouches. Did I mention we are making three kits?

First cumulative dump of initial pics: https://imgur.com/a/ektDMWT

Boots: will need to weather and add some armor plates https://imgur.com/a/ELJoV4T

Updates on rifle: repainted the barrel, rail mount, and weathered same. Will use new fabric wraps for the grip (left overs from cape/tabbard) and paint/weather some more. https://imgur.com/a/Pqd3Z5p

Updated sizing /shaping of plates: https://imgur.com/a/LVnw27s

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2020, 08:18 PM by Str8 Shooter » Logged
Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2020, 01:07 AM »
Had shoulder surgery recently so had some time off work and got some more work done!
Finished up sanding and metal undercoat of gauntlets, helmet, and some bits and bobs.
https://imgur.com/a/sWvP2OD

Original WIP

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2020, 09:28 PM »
Sorry about the surgery but great job despite! Keep up the good work!

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Made a vibroaxe out of a rubber training tomahawk for a melee weapon.

Productive weekend.  Got the base color down on most parts. I used the Vaseline method and like it more than masking fluid (I think my liquid latex was old) or toothpaste (it got really hard and removal wasn't easy).  The PJ wiped up pretty easy and I just washed it with soap and water.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2020, 04:58 PM by Str8 Shooter » Logged
Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2020, 12:58 AM »
Finished up the base layer:

And moved on to the top layer:

Here is all the painted pieces as well as some armor bits, ammo cartridges, and boots:

Bucket with weathering. Not sure how to change the orientation.

Boots and gauntlets done:

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2020, 07:41 AM by Str8 Shooter » Logged
Original WIP

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2020, 10:36 AM »
DUUUUUDDDEEEE

Time to get these on your vest. Hows that shoulder healing up?

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 29, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Nice paint! I also dig the boots.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2020, 06:43 PM »
DUUUUUDDDEEEE

Time to get these on your vest. Hows that shoulder healing up?

Working on getting the flak vest and sash connected up so I can also work on the belt/waist items.
Buuuut, almost ready to throw those on nonetheless and the wife is there too ;)
Shoulder's a little better every day but still very limited mobility.

Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2020, 06:44 PM »
Nice paint! I also dig the boots.
Thanks! they were some motorcycle boots I found on Ebay for a great price.

Original WIP

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2020, 07:20 PM »
Sick ammo cartridges, very ARC trooper!  :like:

This is the way.

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Sick ammo cartridges, very ARC trooper!  :like:
Thanks! Got a rocking deal on them: like $5 each

Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #14 on: Aug 06, 2020, 07:53 PM »
Started on the soft parts. First used heavy grit sandpaper on the seams, thighs, elbows, and then a once over.
Then hit it with a very dilute acrylic/water burnt umber/black.  After several layers it started looking stained in the appropriate places. Then a little black spray paint and finished with brushed on water/burnt umber acrylic.  It's subtle from far away but downright dingy up close.

Also weathered the chrome-tanned leather sash with several layers of the same.

Here's a veg-tan leather holster for the E11: based on movie accurate but short to show the business end of the blaster. Thinking grey with Blue Mythosaur

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2020, 12:11 PM by Str8 Shooter » Logged
Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2020, 01:10 AM »
Finished the sash (soft upholstery leather) with two attached belts. This is actually one item so I'm making another belt.  It attaches to the flak with velcro (glued and riveted) in the front/back. The belt then attaches to itself in the back with velcro (glued/riveted).  The leather belts attached to the sash are riveted and washers provide support on the back.

Cut up a hard hat to extract the harness/connectors and installed it, and the visor, in the bucket.

Got initial fitting with the help of the local Ruus'alores Bryn Cin'Prudii Gr'c Me'suum'ika.

Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Finished the Bucket (range finder installed), weathered and installed armor plates on a mag pouch, finished the E11 holster,  weathered the boots, cut, hemmed an weathered the cape.

Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #17 on: Sep 09, 2020, 05:38 PM »
2nd set of pre-app photos taken.  Buckles taken in on flak to cinch up more. Painted the buckles and highlighted.  Dart on the flak jacket. Visible weathering on the pants, flak, and shirt.  A sliver taken off the top of the left chest piece for more even spacing.  Pant legs and shirt sleeves taken way in as well.

Original WIP

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2020, 05:00 PM »
Vod, this is a solid build! Pat yourself on the back my man! Couple things I'm noticing:
The chest plate to collar spacing on the top left of the chest plate is looking a bit tight. Sometimes this can be fixed by angling the chestplates a litter further inward.
The shoulder and collar plates appear to be touching, the shoulder plates may need to be adjusted or trimmed to avoid contact.
I'm not sure if the loin cloth is a separate belt than the one I'm seeing with the horizontal pattern, but if they are all one belt, you will need an additional belt.

Good luck!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Thanks for the input Kol Varek!  The spacing has been addressed.  The sash is chrome-tan leather and has two overlapping leather belts that are attached to it and can hold items. 

Original WIP

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2020, 06:33 PM »
Great job so far, can't wait to troop beside you when we start getting events again.

The few things I have noticed right off the bat. The loin cloth and sash doesn't appear weathered enough to match the rest of the kit. The app team might call it as inconsistent weathering.

The 2 overlapping belts since they are attached to the sash, should technically only count as 1 waist item. In this case a sash, you will need 2 of the 3 waist items, sash/girth-belt , gun belt, or ammo belt. If you don't want to run another belt, I would suggest loading up on a couple of more pouches to the existing "belt" and hang a piece of fabric out from the bottom of one side in the front. This will give the appearance that you have a fabric sash under the leather belt. A friend of mine did it with a leather waist item that he was trying to get approved.
You have some visible bagginess/bunching in the vest and right sleeve, the app team usually calls those items out. This could just be a kit up issue so pay a little attention when you kit up to those areas. But the other issues will most likely get dinged.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Thanks for the input Desago!
Some great ideas: it's appreciated.

Original WIP

Lo'Car Raevok

« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2020, 10:09 AM »
Shout out to the Ruus'lors of, and Cerar Clan, for all the help and support on this first build of mine.
I'm OM: Lo'Car Raevok!
Now to move onto brigades and perpetual upgrades :)

Original WIP

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Congratulations! Job well done!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Biodelta

• working to be great
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2020, 02:53 AM »
 :vizsla: Great  build love all of it. Saw some heavy arms  gundam in there. Very  smart,love this

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!