Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Female Legacy - First build WIP

• 23 Replies

Blue313331

• There's a seam allowance on my seam allowance
Custom Female Legacy - First build WIP
« on: Feb 27, 2020, 02:23 PM »
Oya, vode!

This is going to be a progress post for my first kit. I've sketched out my own legacy-ish modern-ish armor and am finally ready to embark on the journey that is building it! I plan on adding some el-wire detailing among other things, so there's definitely going to be a lot of layering in my future. Otherwise here's some sketches, for your amusement:  :D

Please ignore the full body sketch on this page, it's an older idea.

Some blaster/ rifle ideas! I'm not sure exactly what I would want to mod for this, I just know the general silhouette I want. Also it needs to be big enough to house an arduino board, some LEDS, and wiring. I'd also like to make a medium-length beskar sword, but I'll need to come up with a way to make it sturdy enough for me to be able to put cut outs into the blade.

Another sassy little sketch with an updated colour scheme. There will most likely be a kama in there somewhere too I just couldn't fit it on the drawing:

Now, I am but a humble university student, so everything is going to have to be on a budget i.e. most likely scratch built and thrifted. To be honest I am kind of dreading the day I'll finally have to pull out some fiberglass and resin (and a respirator!) to make the bucket, but hopefully by then I will acquire a sufficient number of youtube tutorial watching hours and will be able to proceed with confidence.
For a bit of background about the character, I thought she could be sort of like a renegade ex-elite-guard type of person. Forced to join the troops at a young age where she found a real family in the form of a couple mandalorian friends with whom she later escapes. This all ties into the armor design in that most of the plates will be old and worn except for the blue "hand painted" stripes which she adds later once she's free. I'm also thinking of 3-D printing a name tag with a personal number issued to the soldiers, which would be scored and scratched out with a knife with a new name written above it in Mando'a.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, first things first - the vest. What I really want to do is have a padded and quilted material. So I'll be making two copies of each panel, sewing foam in between them, and then sewing the panels together. Now do I actually know how to sew? Absolutely not, I've sort of touched a sewing machine before but that was about it, so this may very well turn into a disaster along the way but we're doing it anyway! I draw and sculpt, so in theory I should sort of know what the human body looks like and the patterns make spatial sense to me, so I'll do my best.

I wrapped myself in cling wrap and cut it until the pieces looked more or less legit. Updates to follow!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cut out and quickly hand stitched the panels before I start sewing. I'll need to alter the neckline a bit, but it sort of works?

One side came out better than the other but otherwise not bad for a new sewing machine user  ;D Next step would be foam, but there's a massive snow storm raging outside (which is why I'm not at work), so that'll have to wait for a bit.

Went to Value Village to hunt for supplies:

I got lucky with my flight suit - found a shirt and pants of almost the same colour. I might have to dye the pants slightly darker and remove the shirt collar, sleeves, and pockets, but other than that it's pretty much good to go! Also found a nice thick belt and an old bag to make belt pouches out of. It was about 4 times cheaper than a small sheet of leather and already came Naturally and ConsistentlyTM weathered  ;D
Also found a lonely suspender that no-one wanted which is made out of nice thick elastic and matches my flight suit perfectly, so I'll be cutting it up to use as leg armor strapping. Total spendings: a little under 30$  :like:

Finally got my sew-in foam today and got started on the quilting! I had to re-do this back sooo many times cause my sewing machine keeps skipping stitches on the thick material, but here it is  :D  Time to assemble and attach the front halves

Only 6 hours of work and the vest almost done! I'll add some detailing on the front later, but for now it's bed time  :laugh:

Finally got around to starting the arm wraps! I'm using the same fabric as I did for the vest and basically sewing together strips to make a layered looking fabric for the sleeves (I've tried just wrapping my arms in the past and as people probably know they're a massive pain to wear  :laugh: ).  Big thanks to JenEcho and Echo Cosplay for keeping me company and helping out with the dyeing, the fabric looks perfect  :D

Can I offer you some arms in these trying times?

Hope everyone is surviving alright! I've had an order to work from home for an indefinite period of time since (luckily) my co-op job is very well suited for that kind of task. Dedicating my free time to building the kit is helping ward off cabin fever so far, let's hope it stays that way. Stay safe everyone  :kiss:

This is kind of a minor update, but I got started on my leg cover thingies! The hidden zipper turned out kind of wavy (it also probably just needs a gentle pressing... with my iron... which is currently 500km away at my University), but I'm banking on that part of my leg being covered by shin armor anyway so eh.

I also made some adjustments to the vest to make it less bad. Altered and hand quilted the front and replaced the weird cloth loops with metal ones (still need to find a leather chord to pull through them and around my back).

Most importantly though, I thought of a ton of small world-build-y things to add to the kit that should really flesh out the character, so I'm gonna write them down here so that I don't forget.
I was thinking, since she will be will be an ex-royal-guard character it would make sense if she had some kind of flag/ crest on the armor that could be partially obscured by the blue paint. I also want to design and print out a label for some sort of alien snack and stick it on a container. I can make the container and the label look worn and put something unrelated inside cause that's sort of what people do in real life, so I thought it would be a cool thing to carry around. Lastly, since the character travels a lot she would probably have stuff from all over the galaxy on her person. I want to design some "bumper stickers" from different places like Coruscant, Mos Eisley, etc and stick them on the back of my helmet (not sure how that'd fly with the approval team, but it'd be super cool if they let me do it  ;D )

At last the flight suit is done!!! I might make a couple more alterations and add detailing, but otherwise this is it! Now just have to make a sash and a balaclava and it'll be armor time!

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2020, 01:12 PM by Blue313331 » Logged
No mistakes just happy little weatherings
Current mega WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187177.0

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: First Build WIP - custom female legacy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2020, 03:01 PM »
I like the cling wrap idea! Might have to use that for my vest pattern...  :like:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Just as a heads up on your concept art; it's either gotta be legacy, with no gaps between the collar-chest-ab, or modern, with proper spacing between all of them. You can't mix and match, unfortunately. If that's meant to be a chest section overlapping an ab, with another ab spaced beneath it, you can make it work by breaking apart the chest and top ab and having proper spacing between the chest and collar. Idk what your eventual plan is, just wanted to give you that info so you can plan accordingly. Same-same the rifles; the silhouettes look very sci-fi, which doesn't necessarily translate to Star Wars, so definitely recommend posting more detailed sketches when you get to that part.

The cling-wrap template technique is supposed to be pretty effective, I'm actually about to do the same on my duct tape mannequin, with masking tape over the cling wrap. I expect it to be a learning experience, lol. Good luck with converting the templates into a vest :D

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Blue313331

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2020, 04:45 PM »
Hi!
Sorry, I should've phrased that better! It's a legacy build with no gaps between plates but the indents formed by the upper layer resemble what modern armor has. There won't be a lot of overlap, but the chest and the two ab pieces will be attached flush to one another with flexible bonds so as to appear as a single piece. I ran all of this by my clan leaders before I made the WIP thread, so hopefully it should be alright ;) Also that's a good point about the blaster! When it comes to it, I'll definitely draw things out more carefully and make sure they get approved before I start building.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Cool, sounds good! And your first round on the vest build looks pretty solid :)

Shiimba

• Zweeds'aar OM# 1948
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: Custom Female Legacy - First build WIP
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Great work so far :)
A tip for the quilt stitching is to go very slow or even just turn the wheel by hand (good old singer machines are the best lol) for even stitching :)
very impressive though overall and I do love the concept art :)

Blue313331

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Great work so far :)
A tip for the quilt stitching is to go very slow or even just turn the wheel by hand (good old singer machines are the best lol) for even stitching :)
very impressive though overall and I do love the concept art :)

Haha thank you for the encouragement, it's much appreciated!  ;D That's a good idea, but to be honest it might just be that my machine is not very powerful (it's teeny tiny and can only do one type of stitch), I'll keep it in mind for future projects though :)

Blue313331

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2020, 06:38 PM »
This post it gonna be all about the armor itself, I don't want to reply to my own thread too often so I think I'll limit myself to 3 or 4 replies and modify them as I make progress.
So anyway..

Plates!!! :D Well, plate mockups as least . I'm running them by my Ruus'alors, so I can make adjustments before cutting things out of plastic. I will probably also be altering the trauma plating patterns as I go, but I think it's looking pretty good so far!

Also, to be honest I'm not religious but I swear shoulders are the work of devil. 3 compound darts and a tilted curve just to make it into some semblance of a shape  :laugh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so things happened! I've moved back to my parents' house in new Brunswick and started a new remote study term with the university, so things have been a bit hectic but I'm still slowly working away at the plates! I started using some left over plastic my dad had laying around at the moment cause I thought it would work fine ... aaand it turned into a giant pain in the you know what  :laugh: This plastic looks like Sintra and molds like Sintra BUT it's significantly more dense and can't be cut with a knife. I'm cutting out my chest pieces using a Dremel, but the cuts aren't very clean (which may be my fault to be honest, maybe I'm just garbage at cutting who knows  :laugh: ) so everything is taking about 10x longer than it should. I'm definitely ordering proper Sintra once I run out of this stuff and I might scrap my trauma plates if it turns out that I can make Sintra ones look cleaner, but anyways this is the progress so far:

The trauma plate on the right hasn't been sanded yet and you can see how rough the curved cuts are :( Also I had my first go at Bondo the other day and I may or may not  have gone completely crazy with it, but at least the scratches that were there are gone now  ;D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So minor update: I've got Sintra! Someone in my clan had some leftover sheets lying around which they graciously donated into my possession for a very reasonable price (thank you kamenkewl!  ;D ) I've started cutting out the backplate pieces (not much to show yet unfortunately) and I swear compared to the stuff I had before Sintra is a God. Damn. Treat. to work with. I'll upload some pictures once I've progressed by a bragging-worthy amount  :P

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:57 PM by Blue313331 » Logged

Kali Rigel

• "I'm one with the Force and the Force is with me"
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Nice concept!

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2020, 02:42 PM »
The mockup looks really good!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2020, 06:41 PM »
This is looking really nice so far! I dig those plate mockups!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Oh yeah, those mock-ups look great! I hear you on the shoulders, lol. A big part of why I moved to metal early on; those complex curves in pvc/sintra are a stone cold pain in the -censored-. Something that might help you there that a few folks I know of do is larger pvc pipe elbows. You can get yourself a 4-6" elbow for like $5 each and it'll have most of the curve for you. You might end up having to dart some anyway to get exactly the shape you want, but it's easier than starting from flat.

Blue313331

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 08:46 AM »
Oh yeah, those mock-ups look great! I hear you on the shoulders, lol. A big part of why I moved to metal early on; those complex curves in pvc/sintra are a stone cold pain in the -censored-. Something that might help you there that a few folks I know of do is larger pvc pipe elbows. You can get yourself a 4-6" elbow for like $5 each and it'll have most of the curve for you. You might end up having to dart some anyway to get exactly the shape you want, but it's easier than starting from flat.

Ouu that's a really good idea, thank you! I'll drop by the hardware store next time I'm out of the house and see if I can find anything usable  ;)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 09:58 AM »
I honestly forgot about the technique until one of the guys that started the trend posted about it on Facebook, but it's a really easy trick for pvc shoulder bells :D

reguillet

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 03:29 PM »
This is looking like a great build. I like your attention to detail with the extra stitching on the flack vest.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 05:24 PM »
This is looking great! I can’t wait to see more of your build!

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 04:24 PM »
wow, for someone's who's never sewn before your vest and soft goods are amazing! you did a fantastic job drafting the vest, especially with the princess seams and quilting! looking forward to seeing how everything else turns out!

Werde

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 07:16 PM »
I absolutely love your vest design. Great work, keep it up!!

Dac'Gar Ordo

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Family events
« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2020, 02:46 PM »
The Concept drawning and overal design is superbe.
Love to see more from you, that is some real skills at work  :cookie:

Urala

• "I'm gonna make a mock-up first..."
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2020, 12:08 AM »
Everything is so cool! From the story to the concept art to the actual pieces! I love the bumper sticker idea, it reminds me of passport stamps; I assume planets would have some sort of check-in marker like those at big stations.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Love the legacy armor (also you are so good at drawing!) Can't wait to see it!!

Blue313331

« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Hey guys!

Sorry about the lack of updates, I've had a hell of a time studying this semester (it was fine in the end, but the courses were all Difficult TM ) so I didn't progress too much on the build, but I figured I'd post what I had anyway! Here's some progress pics for the backplate  :D There's still some bondo-ing to be done and there will be a few more trauma plates added, but I feel like this captures the vibe I was going for pretty well:

« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Excited to see your armor complete! Your vest inspired me to pick mine back up!

vershnekit

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Awesome design and build! can't wait to see it completed

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!