Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Flamethrower Mando

• 23 Replies

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
WIP - Flamethrower Mando
« on: Feb 29, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Hey, I'm Mercy, I'm a themdalorian (agender, they/them pronouns), and I live in the lower mainland. This is a bit of a weird WIP to make, because I've actually already got most of my kit without having time to upload stuff about it on the forums. I'm hoping to get it a little more fixed before ECCC, but I'm aware that's... probably not reasonable with me working a full time job.

But there's still some small things to deal with, so here's a picture of the kit and my to do list. ;3

(I can't for the life of me figure out how to flip it the right way up, so you get sideways Mando)

To-Do

1. Fix the gauntlets. This is technically two problems; they don't seem to stick to the velcro and have a problem of sliding down, and when they do stick they are obviously pretty loose on my tiny little pipecleaner arms. I don't think it's possible for me to make the gauntlets smaller and still have them look good, either.
Possible Solutions: Use snaps on the BOTTOM half of the gauntlet because that sits closer to the undersuit and therefore might actually snap in better. Find some foam to fill out the inside. I've been using cloth wraps for now, but they tend to end up also sliding down over time, even if they look cooler.

2. Another gauntlet issue: they keep bruising the insides of my elbows. It might be they're too long for my forearms, but again it's not something I can reasonably fix without somehow getting another entirely new set of gauntlets. Not going to happen before ECCC.
Possible Solutions: I've acquired some duck cloth and might just go ahead and sew pads on the insides to protect my poor inner elbows.

3. Visor issues. Cut the last one too short (oops) and the clips have been giving me a heck ton of difficulty getting them in.
Possible Solutions: No way around it, have to order more visor material. And do a better job of cutting. That IS a little difficult; how do you mark where to cut without messing up the material? (I'm using the material from Kalevala Visors. Will reccommend them to the ends of the earth, I'm just a dingus who isn't great at cutting). I should probably get the clips in AFTER the visor's cut too, and mark where the visor sits in the helmet. This might not get fixed before ECCC.

4. My shin plate adhering method has finally kicked the bucket; I was using a sort of velcro strap to get it around my leg and the soft side has given up the ghost. While the industrial grade velcro on the shin plates is fine, they've really wrecked the strap and they were falling off my legs a lot the last day of Vancouver Fan Expo.
Possible Solutions: I've already sewn some straps (pictures to be shown later), the issue is just... getting them on... I know you're supposed to attach more elasticy material to nylon or otherwise something that won't stretch first, and I might do that and then have it snap on. It's a full loop strap because that's how I measured it, so it'd need a good few snaps, but otherwise?

5. Waist sash! I have a pretty cool belt and some snazzy things on it (though I'm thinking I might need a bigger leather pouch to hide like my phone or something), but no sash.
Possible Solutions: This one at least is easy in theory. I've gotten a nice amount of a linen/rayon blend red fabric (again pictures to be shown later), and am intending to go for a sort of asymmetrical sash; still covering up the top of the cod plate, but more Captain Marvel-esque than just rectangular.

6. More of a minor issue currently, but the helmet and shin pieces are starting to crack just a little in places of stress. I don't really have a solution for this or know how to fix it.

7. The paint has started to flake off on my sintra plates - which is basically the chest and stomach pieces, though not the chest diamond - showing the earlier paint job I had for it underneath (a really dark blue + orange). I can't really fix it until it's flaked off a lot more, but I guess I should've re-primed it... Oops.

8. Less of a problem, more of something planned for after I get approved: a fuel tank for the flamethrower, based on the one the stormtrooper in the Mandalorian had. It's rad, I want it, Tracyn's gonna steal it right off a stormtrooper's back. I only have some rough ideas for this; I'll outline more on another post in this thread.

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2020, 02:01 PM by Tracyn Viktari » Logged
You can call me Mercy. They/them pronouns, please.

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
Re: WIP - Flamethrower Mando
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Here's the pictures promised:

The straps:

The material I'm planning to use to cushion my poor inner elbows:

The waist sash material. My phone REFUSES to take a good picture of this, but it's more red than it looks here and rougher than my phone will pick up:

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Hello Mercy! Welcome to the club 🙂 sounds like you need an armour party to take a look at your kit!

Careful about the double posting, it is against forum rules, if you have photos that you’d like to add to your post, you can just press the “edit” button.

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Hm. And here I was trying to make it a little easier to read. Fair enough, though.

The sash is... Cut now? It exists, but it's not sewn nor does it have a fastener yet. And of course, no weathering yet.

(apologize for the bathroom sink in the way)

The gauntlets... I'm still sort of squinting at them, but the space at the wrists is somewhat terrifying and I'm pretty convinced that if I added foam you'd see it no matter what just by looking down the gauntlet. So, new plan: I have some other gauntlets that I'm modifiying into like half-bracers (I think that's the term). I've also cut off a little bit of the back, because otherwise they'd be too long and bruise my inner elbows like the other set. I could do that with the main gauntlets, but... Yeah, like you said, I'll probably need somebody more experienced to squint at them.

Vorir Gah'Kurs

• Ruus'amoose
  • The Maestro
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Taken from Naran Baatar:
Half bracers are a tricky thing, and get looked at really really closely. I would honestly suggest going with a full gauntlet it is a much smoother process. There is a reason there aren't a lot of approved kits with half bracers...

.... Doing simple tube style gauntlet with hand plates. It will give you a similar look while still allowing you to move at the wrist more freely. There is a GREAT guide on tube style gauntlets located here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43869.0

However, a good example of a half bracer would be from one of my besties Krie Taakur.

Though as GardenGeek has said, an Armour party will help you out far more than words on a computer screen ^_^

MMCC-1421
Shereshir'Ca - 009
B.E.A.R.D.S. - 114

Pyro

• I am the salsa verde!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Sweet another Flame Mando!
Here's mine and a close up of my flamethrower

1st OM in NM #216
TK/SL/TI -6353
Early Crusader WIIP
Jodo Kast WIP

Mark 9:23 "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2020, 07:54 PM »
Yeah, the current issue is that I have little time before ECCC, and I need a passable enough solution for that fast... I might be able to fix the bruising fact by maybe removing the back of the current gauntlets? Though going back and cutting more off now they're fully painted will be a pain.

And foam-wise... There's at about half an inch of room on each side of my miniscule arm I'd guess, though I'm measuring without an undersuit on at the moment. That strikes me as an awful lot of foam. There is foam on hand, I just worry it'll be visible. And if I'm leaving it foam-free on one side so I can figure out some kind of attachment - snaps??? probably? - that'll make it even more obvious.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2020, 04:10 PM »
First off, I'm so glad you found us! Your kit has so much potential! I remember meeting you at Fan Expo- I was the guy chasing after Pikachu/Miles Morales (my kid), and was blown away how far you've come already.

Sadly/yay at least the cancellation of ECCC has bought you more time to figure this out before the next con. Every cloud has a silver lining, right?

When/what is the next con you're available to attend?

Earlier you mentioned velcro for your gauntlets. Did you use industrial velcro, or the normal, every day velcro? I use the industrial stuff for my plates and find them amazing, (I'm in to power lifting and so my body fluctuates when I bulk/cut, so this allows the plates to be moved when needed). I highly recommend it.

*edit*
I reread your post and saw that you did use Industrial velcro, my mistake. Odd problem though. I use that method for my knees and haven't had an issue. But either way those clips on the straps look perfect for the job.
 :)

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2020, 04:42 PM by Jayrodadon » Logged
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."
https://imgur.com/a/FlZWnVe

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106123.msg1508559#msg1508559

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Update! I've taken down the old set of gauntlets and am thinking of just going ahead and cutting something that actually fits better. The gauntlets already put together might go to a friend instead.

The straps are in place on the shin pieces; I'll add a picture later, but I've literally just velcroed them in place via a strip over top of them so they're firmly squished between the soft and scratchy sides. Hasn't had a proper field test yet, but they seem to hold pretty dang well for now.

Both sets of gauntlets now have the back little bit taken off of them. I think this'll mean my poor inner elbow will now be free of bruising.

Edit:

Sadly/yay at least the cancellation of ECCC has bought you more time to figure this out before the next con. Every cloud has a silver lining, right?

When/what is the next con you're available to attend?

August- To where ECCC has been rescheduled! I think I've got tons of time now, if I don't procrastinate it all away.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08:51 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you rigged up!
 :)

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Current mood: crying over the fact that I'm going to have to repaint my chest pieces. 2/3 were chipping and have now had the paint stripped; they've got a nice coat of primer on now, something I forgot to do last time (oops). I'm not sure if I need to do the same to the last piece, cause it's not chipping for now... May as well just leave it be and keep an eye on it.

Also heat-gunning resin is a pain in the butt and I hate it >:U

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:03 AM »
If I may, I recommend fixing it now before you get further along and having it then flake out on you.

Also, did you add a light sanding to help give the primer some grip?

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2020, 05:22 PM »
I thought I did, but even a repaint seems to be coming off (though that might just be the tape being clingy. I hope it is).

Also in other news I REALLY messed up cutting one of the new gauntlets to fit my tiny arms, so I've only got one now; the borked one is even too small for a half-bracer so that's fun. /s
With everything basically shut down I don't know what I'm going to do to get another, short of ordering one off the forums. :/

Edit: So. I had to strip the paint off of the stomach plate again. Fingers crossed the paint on the chest pieces sticks.

The stripping implement I was using? Broke the stomach piece.

I'm going to have to get more sintra, aren't I? There's no way this is fixable. I've never even cut my own plate before, and nothing's likely to ship right now, and I'm probably far more upset over this than I should be.

I also ended up cutting one of my gauntlets way too small, so like- Screw me, there's no way I'm getting more material now. But I need to keep working on this or I'm gonna go NUTS.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2020, 03:41 PM by Tracyn Viktari » Logged

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:06 PM »
In the meantime while everything is shut down- this is a great opportunity to get some practice with sanding, painting, and coming up with fun new ideas! that way once everything is open again, you'll be ready to go!

(haha trying to be super optimistic about this lockdown, dont mind me!)

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 11:55 AM »
I've put in an order for some more paint and sintra, so trying to figure out how to cut my own plates (especially gauntlets!) is going to be interesting. But at least it's coming?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!