Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Flamethrower Mando

• 27 Replies
Re: WIP - Flamethrower Mando
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:05 AM »
"But at least it's coming?"

Right! Just like Canadian legend Stompin Tom said;
"If ya don't get at it when ya get to it
Ya won't get to it to get at it again"

Good attitude!

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."
https://imgur.com/a/FlZWnVe

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106123.msg1508559#msg1508559

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2020, 04:20 PM »

It's here, with plenty of extra just in case! I still have the broken stomach plate so I can probably use most of it as a guide there. And then it's crying at cutting the material for the visor.

I might hold off on the gauntlet for a little so I can do some research, though. I'd imagine they'd be the trickier part.

In other news, I've picked up some piping for a flare gun-inspired side arm that I'm not gonna immediately enter with my costume. I'm just gonna have to figure out how to cut it...

You can call me Mercy. They/them pronouns, please.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Yup! Looks like you're well covered!

When you say piping  do you mean metal or PVC?

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Yup! Looks like you're well covered!

When you say piping  do you mean metal or PVC?

I'd say PVC, but I don't actually think it's that kind of plastic. It's the same kind I used for my flamethrower though, already black and the perfect shape for a flare gun barrel.

I've also cut out the pieces and gotten to work with bending! The stomach plate is shaped (though I may go back and bend the sides a little more), but as it turns out I don't have a proper form for bending the gauntlet pieces. I considered using our traffic cones, but they're not made of a rigid enough plastic... Anybody have a suggestion? For the resin I used an old spray paint can and some clamps of varying settings, but sintra doesn't bend the same way or take as long to set.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2020, 05:07 AM »
Personally I just heated and hand formed.

Sorry that's not helpful though.

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2020, 12:16 PM »
It's a good thing I have so much extra then.  ;)

I'll give a simple by hand forming a shot, or maybe actually fitting it to my arm.
I'm hoping I only have to shape one side, because I have this old steel piece from an outdoor heater that's thin enough to be wearable-light and already curved; the issue is whether the steel will heat enough to bend and cutting the dang thing shorter.

Edit: Gave up on the steel piece because I don't have the tools, but there's now a vaguely workable looking gauntlet base!

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2020, 03:56 PM by Tracyn Viktari » Logged

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 02:46 AM »
Looking good, Mercy!! I make sure that my first coat of primer is always a plastic primer, and like Jayrodadon said, make sure that you use sandpaper to give the paint some mechanical adhesion.  As for your bracers, I tend to use 3mm instead of the 6mm, as 3mm is much easier to bend into the complex curves needed. 

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 06:23 PM »
I'm sadly stuck with my 6mm since I don't currently have the cash to get anything else, but it's working well so far; I've been using a box cutter to help me get some of the curves, it's working pretty well for now.

I've juuuust gotten a LED in for a flamethrower top for my gauntlet, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that until I get the stuff for actually clipping said gauntlet together. Should be here soon though!

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 11:51 PM »

I've juuuust gotten a LED in for a flamethrower top for my gauntlet, but I'm not sure I want to deal with that until I get the stuff for actually clipping said gauntlet together. Should be here soon though!

oh, cant wait to see how that turns out!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Firemaester

• We bleed, exhaust ourselves, and die.
« Reply #24 on: Jun 07, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I'll edit this with some pictures later (edit: pictures are here!), but progress has been reeeaaally slow lately; briefly lost interest and instead was writing some fiction in my spare time. That said, I've come back to it and done some more work:

1. I have two possible gauntlet-mounted weapon things, one a typical box-shape and one I heat curved instead. I'll probably be going with the box shape because to me it looks a bit more like Star Wars (and maybe use the curve as a holster?) but it was fun to try and do the curved one regardless. However I know to smooth over the visible lines and to make it look properly connected to the rest of the gauntlet I need something... Else. My brain says bondo but is that correct??

2. I also need to actually put together the gauntlets; they're basically ready for hinges and such but I had issues with using the velcro last time, so one is going to have the usual hinge and some sort of magnetic attachment, while I intend the other to be just magnets. Still trying to figure out how to do the magnets but I'll have to use the rubber duck method at somebody irl.

3. The visor is giving me far more trouble than it should- Basically it's cut to fit, barely, but the cheeks of the helmet... Press too far out for this kind of visor? If you look at it sideways you can see the edges of the visor. I've tried sticking said visor in best I can, but despite how strong the velcro sticky is, it just.... Pops off the velcro. Of course, the velcro stays stuck together. >_< I might have to get out the heat gun and press the cheeks in myself to reduce that, though I worry it'll squish my nose. This is what I get for it being a helmet I put together with a friend!

4. I'm still sort of staring at my waist sash. It's been cut and ready for ages, I'm just leery of sitting down and trying to sew it without supervision from somebody who knows what they're doing. And then I have to set it on fire for weathering. That at least should be fun? (Don't worry, the setting on fire was tested with scraps of material first)

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2020, 01:08 PM by Tracyn Viktari » Logged
« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Before anything else, good on you for taking a break, that is needed once and while to prevent burn out.  :like:

When making a 90 degree edge with Sintra I've always just used the corner of a table/door and such. But if I tried your method, I'd say you're right and a thin coat of bondo would help.

Yeah, a heat gun would work, (my helmet squishes my nose too  :D ), or maybe just get a new visor if it's in the budget?

Good on you for doing a test strip first!

WIP

Tracyn Viktari

• Pyro at Heart
« Reply #27 on: Jun 26, 2020, 08:59 PM »
Before anything else, good on you for taking a break, that is needed once and while to prevent burn out.  :like:

When making a 90 degree edge with Sintra I've always just used the corner of a table/door and such. But if I tried your method, I'd say you're right and a thin coat of bondo would help.

Yeah, a heat gun would work, (my helmet squishes my nose too  :D ), or maybe just get a new visor if it's in the budget?

Good on you for doing a test strip first!

That's a good idea! I've just been pressing it against the flat (well, not so flat now, the heat gun's warped the plastic a little) of the table and using my hands, but yours would probably work better. It's the 6mm sintra which I know isn't the best, but I wonder if the broken stomach plate that's made of the thinner stuff would be the right size for me to cut a better piece from it... Probably not but maybe?

I'll get to work on the helmet sooner or later (I'm at the point where I definitely have to use this visor, I spent more than I've wanted on the materials since I messed it up twice before). Though this plastic's always a little bit more difficult than the sintra.

I should not have found the fabric test burning so fun but I used matches instead of a lighter (wore my fire-resistant gloves) and it was glorious.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!