Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando soft parts WIP

• 11 Replies
Mando soft parts WIP
« on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:56 AM »
Well I bit the bullet and tracked down a fabric pattern for a flight suit. I'm making it out of cotton drill fabric, the same as a lot of the hard-wearing tradie gear we use in Aus, because I'm going to durability and quality on this build.

I also finally decided on a colour scheme with the help of a couple of Mandos on the initial concepts forum;

I'm going to put a velcro closure in the front as opposed to a zipper, because the velcro will automatically be hidden as part of the overlap between the two front sections, so I won't have to worry about installing a zipper AND and extra velcro flap to cover it. Why not cut out the middle man and go for straight velcro?

I'm also wondering, are elastic cuffs acceptable under the CRL's? Of the type you see on bomber jackets? If anyone is in the know, please let me know so I can make any necessary changes as I go. I would much rather find out now than at the end of the build.

Flak vest is to come in this WIP, and eventually a sash and, hopefully, a loincloth and kama. Flak vest will have a calico lining for comfort, a layer of polyester batting and MAYBE interfacing for some padding and rigidity so it doesn't sag under the weight of plates, and a canvas outer layer.

I'm always open to constructive feedback, especially if it helps me get my build up to scratch for official membership.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2020, 12:01 AM by jwith1994 » Logged
Re: Mando soft parts WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2020, 04:59 AM »
I tried to include images but I'm not sure they showed up. If someone viewing the post can let me know if it worked or not, I'd appreciate it.

Kurz

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2020, 08:52 AM »
I can't see them

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:18 AM »
I can't see them

Thanks for letting me know, I've switched back to Imgur links. Can't figure out putting pictures in for the life of me.

Made some more progress today. Got the body of the flight suit cut out and pinned, and had a test fit. I plan to take it in down the legs and at the hips to get it to meet mercs standards. Just note that the fabric on the outside of the pins will be folded inwards when it comes time to stitch it all together. For the purpose of a test-fit, it was just simple to lay it on the floor and pin it like that.

At the end of the day, thigh/shin armour, flak vest and sash will also help to keep the flight suit form-fitting.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2020, 04:30 PM by Fenris Claddanna » Logged

Kurz

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:11 AM »
If you copy the image url (the one that ends with .jpg, not the hosting page one) and put it like this
Code: [Select]
[img]link[/img] you can upload your picture directly to the forum page

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2020, 11:58 PM »
If you copy the image url (the one that ends with .jpg, not the hosting page one) and put it like this
Code: [Select]
[img]link[/img] you can upload your picture directly to the forum page

OMG THANK YOU! Finally got it. Have updated previous posts.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2020, 04:09 AM »
Flight Suit is finished!

I sat down with the sewing machine and spent the afternoon putting it all together.

I'm not building the neck seal into the flight suit or flak vest (too complicated), so I'm having it as a separate part. I'd put the flight suit on first, then the neck seal, then the flak vest.

After much deliberation, I have also chosen a bucket!

This is the G.I. helmet from Mynock's Den and I'll be ordering it as soon as funds allow. Since it's a made-to-order item, I'll have plenty of time to finish the rest of the soft parts before the bucket arrives.

Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore. - "Pressure makes gems, ease makes decay."

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Well it's been a couple of days since my last post, but I have definitely not been idle!

I've finished the neck seal, and I'm about two thirds of the way through the flak vest.

I took my neck measurements and drafted up the basic outline of the neck seal on my fabric.

I think sewed it up with two layers of fabric and polyester batting sandwiched between them. This way I get a 3D shape and a padded feel. I also sewed horizontal lines into it, which has given it a ribbed look that I'm pretty happy with.

I think went ahead and sewed up a basic flap of the same black fabric, to fill the gap between the neck seal and the collar of the flak vest. This makes it look like it's part of the flight suit, while giving me more freedom to move.

Pictured here in my flight suit and neck seal with a T-shirt over the top. I used this T-shirt to form the basis of my flak vest pattern.

I'm using duck cloth for the outer layer, interfacing and polyester batting to give it shape, thickness and stiffness to hold the weight of the armour, and a calico inner lining (because it's soft and SO cheap, getting it for about $1 a meter).

I've got the flak vest most of the way done. I still need to taper it around my waist a little more. My shoulders are slightly big, disproportional compared to my waist, so I'm ALWAYS having to make my stuff bigger to fit my shoulders, and then tapering in at the waist to get the fitted look. I've decided to have it lace up at the back, and my next step is to get the lacing eyes in place and do the shoulder bells, then it should be done! I'll post photos of the finished product in a couple of days time.

After that, on to gloves, sash and possibly some gaiters.

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:35 AM »
Not a whole lot of progress on this update but, hey, any progress counts.

I've used today to finish off the flak vest with the addition of should bells.

Draft on paper.

I think the fit is pretty good, happy with it. I need my wife to lace me into it though. I'm planning on staining it with tea in places, and maybe some black and ochre oil paints thinned down with some white spirit. I've used that sort of mix before to make oil washes for model kits, and I think it's suitable grubby for this application.

I've also picked up some yellow fabric for the sash! I just folded it to the rough thickness I want and held it in place with the belt, just to get an idea of how it would look. In reality, I have enough material to do it 6 inches wide, just over 2 meters long, and double layered for a heavier look. I plan to do a knot at the hip and let the sash hang down.

TK_0417

• I love the smell of cordite in the morning.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Is the belt you are showing in the pics going to be part of your kit, or just to hold things together as a reference. Iím a retired Artilleryman myself, so the cross cannons are an instant earthly symbol. The lion on the belt will give you trouble for the same reason.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Is the belt you are showing in the pics going to be part of your kit, or just to hold things together as a reference. Iím a retired Artilleryman myself, so the cross cannons are an instant earthly symbol. The lion on the belt will give you trouble for the same reason.

It's actually one of my kilt belts and it's got Saint Andrew's Cross on the buckle, but yeah I'm just using it to hold things together as a placeholder for the time being. I've actually got an ammo belt lined up that I've already gotten approved by the app team. It is a replica of an M1 Garand ammo belt from WWII.

At their suggestion, I'm removing the lettering, dying the fabric to a darker brown or dark grey colour, and adding some small sintra plates to the flaps to give it a more in-universe look.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2020, 04:33 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

---

Official duties aside, your build is looking good. I look forward to seeing it complete, vod.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!