Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log (Picture Heavy) FINISHED

• 18 Replies
Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log (Picture Heavy) FINISHED
« on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:59 AM »
:vizsla: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Helmet :vizsla:

Table of Contents:
1. UPDATE(S) 1-3: Pep file, ears and start of Bondo/Sanding Process (This post)
2. UPDATE 4: Ear pieces, primer and Base dye http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187423.msg2104205#msg2128801
3. UPDATE 5: Primary dye http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187423.msg2104205#msg2131036
4. UPDATE 6: Final colouring (messed up glossy finish :( ) http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187423.msg2104205#msg2131359
5. UPDATE 7: Painting finished! http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187423.msg2104205#msg2131994
6. UPDATE 8 : Finished! http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187423.msg2132591#msg2132591 date=1590989065

I would like to share my progress on the second Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Helmet Ive been doing lately. I had to start from scratch a second time, because I missed the scaling by a lot the first time - it was too big! The purpose of this WIP Log is basically to show how Im doing, hopefully get some tips from pro-helmet makers and get my bucket done.  I will update this first post as the work progresses.

11/03/2020 UPDATE 3 - More bondo and sanding  

So I have had my second bondo and sanding session. I have found that I have an excellent mini drill tool that I used with various smallish sand-drills. Its really starting to take shape. :)

05/03/2020 UPDATE 2 - External ear pieces and Antennas  

So I have been working on the cannons/antennas lately. Here are the results. I made the templates from paper/pepakura. And then filled those with epoxy resin. As far as the ears go, I also made templates but I did not want paper to be in those, since I want them to rotate, so I used simple office tape on the inside, then fiberglassed it and then removed the paper. Now I got simple fiberglass epoxy ears. Next I will be finishing the baubles that the antennas are set into, put those onto the external ear pieces and then attach the rotating mechanism onto them and the helmet. 29/04/2020 Well, the cannons/rangefinders did not come out as expected and I had to discard them - I am currently thinking about 3D printing them after I figure out the scale.

02/03/2020 UPDATE 1 Question - Is the front of the face the correct shape?  

Right now, I have finished fiberglassing the inside and started the bondo process. The bondo layers are still relatively thin and thus I feel like if I heat the helmet from the inside, I can still bend it somewhat. The reason why Im even talking about doing that is because I am unsure whether I should do that or the shape of the face is fine. This is where I would really like some help from all of you!

Here is the original pep file:

Here are some WIP images of various stages:

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2020, 02:23 AM by Yaan » Logged

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 2
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2020, 07:38 PM »
I think the basic shape is there for the bucket yes. Once you add the ear caps and cannons I think it will look good.

In the photo looking straight at the front there is a little shadow on the left side making it a little hard to tell if it’s symmetrical or not.  That will be the biggest think next to sizing.  Make it look as symmetrical and even as possible.  I think you are on the right track tho.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 2
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips! Ive done some more bondo and sanding today. Im starting to get a good feeling about the helmet. It fits onto my head perfectly, however Im not sure whether its good enough size/scale wise for me. Hopefully its good and it will fit with the rest of the costume.

More pics are incoming for the first post. I was wondering if there is an easier way how post pics? Maybe, side by side, not sure if any external widgets or something like is allowed :)

Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 4
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 02:40 AM »
UPDATE 4

Well, I have lost count of the number of times I have bonded and sanded the helmet, but anyway here are the pics of what it looked like before I started to attach the ear pieces. On the left cheek, just below the nose line there is a small hole (or a dent?) that I was unaware of when I took these pictures, but shortly after I bonded that tiny dent and sanded it down as well. Should be pretty good, now.

Also, in the next set of pics is me trying out the right ear piece. I attached it with silicone based glue, because the ear pieces did not actually stick 100% to the helmet, there was a slight crevice or gapes when I tried sticking them on, so I used the silicone gel/glue to "fill" these. I think the end result is pretty good! Now I will only have to make sure that both ear pieces are in the same position and the cannons are as symmetrical as possible.

Looking forward to your feedback!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:48 AM by Yaan » Logged
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Pic Heavy) UPDATE 5
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 02:15 AM »
Well, here I attached the ear pieces,

put some primer on,

and finally some base dye (I chose chrome).

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 02:22 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen a pep come to completion and this is honestly one of the better ones I've ever seen. Nicely done!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:27 AM »
This means a lot to me! Thank you :) I am just so happy I am finally in the painting phase, it took 3+ months of bondo and sanding, and honestly several times I came close to giving up.

Drace Olen

• Never Look Back
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 10:32 PM »
You hard work is really showing through!  Awesome job!  Super impressed!

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:24 AM »
UPDATE 5

So, here are the basic colours of the helmet. Except for the upper brow, there is no weathering. And I feel like the upper brow being weathered as it is now, is enough for the helmet. The rest I will weather will simple black acrylic paint and do some shading. I do not want to overdo it with scratches and damage.

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 5
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Helmet is looking really good.  It looks like a lot of the damage/scrapes are to the outside edges of the T visor or along the bottom lip. The raised edges of things.   I think you can do a lot with the weathering and added shading to dirty it up.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 6
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 05:13 AM »
UPDATE 6

Well, its a sad day to be me :(. Last night I spent hours finishing up all the weathering, painting the symbol and doing final touch ups on my helmet. The result was amazing and I was honestly surprised at how well it turned out (I should have known something was going to go wrong). After literally spending hours until late night with the helmet I finished my evening with final spray-overs of matte transparent lacquer/finish. Going up the stairs to bed it looked amazing.

When I woke up, it seems that I have overdone it with the lacquer... It turned glossy and shiny :(. /Sigh After I finish work today, Im going to the paint shop to pick up some steel wool and try to very gently scrub the glossy lacquer off the helmet. Hopefully, I will not damage the paint job very much (because even though it is shiny now, I am still extremely happy with how it turned out). Anyway, here are some pictures of what it looks now:

Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 WIP Log (Picture Heavy) UPDATE 7
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 01:51 PM »
UPDATE 7

And I am done with the painting phase! I will be installing the visor tomorrow or Sunday and I will officially be done with the helmet! I am going to post pics of what the helmet looks like now that I have scrubbed it matte again with some steel wool. This is also a piece of really good advice... If you need to get something less glossy or more matte, just use 000 steel wool. It works wonders :)

Anyway, here are the pictures. If I could get someone from the approval team to chime in, that would be fantastic :)

Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log (Picture Heavy) FINISHED!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2020, 01:24 AM »
Well, without further ado, here is the helmet finished!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log (Picture Heavy) FINISHED
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:19 PM »
That looks really good!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:33 PM »
Thank you! :) Im blushing with appreciation !

One day I plan to make the earcaps rotate, but first want to finish the rest of the costume. Soft parts are done (up for comments!) and I will start the armor next week (hopefully).

Drace Olen

• Never Look Back
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2020, 03:06 PM »
This so cool, can't wait to see the rest of the kit

« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2020, 03:13 PM »
Thank you very much! Im hoping to install small fans inside the helmet ears as well, sometime.

Kired Vizsla

• I come from Mandalore, like my father before.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:49 AM »
I have not seen a better helmet than yours for a long time :)

« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2020, 08:00 AM »
@Kired Vizsla thank you very much! I really appreciate it :) Im blushing right now, although you cant see it ! :vizsla:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!