Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Emily's first kit soft parts

• 2 Replies
Emily's first kit soft parts
« on: Mar 02, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Hello! This weekend I was able to get started on actually working on some of the stuff I've been collecting and planning for two months now. I've got scrubs that will have to be taken in (Goodwill for the win! I found a matching set for $8) that will have a turtleneck underneath to be long sleeves and a neck seal. I've already removed the zebra trim but I don't have a picture of that and the stripes on the pants will be hidden when I take the sides in to be less baggy. I have a pair of pants that fit pretty much exactly how I want the scrub pants to eventually be to help with that.

...and a vest that I put together  this weekend (that had the unintended side effect of my sister wanting to join as well so I think I'll be making a second vest to her measurements next weekend. She helped me out with mine so I'll help with hers.). I used the pattern from the info list from the other soft parts section, which luckily didn't need a lot of modification. I still need to add a zipper in the back. I might be modifying the sleeves a bit. They look a little weird as-is with the scrub sleeves but I'll hold off making any changes until the scrubs are modified. Here they are right now:

And here's my testing out the color scheme pic:

The armor itself will be a brighter teal.

To do:
Add an invisible zipper to the back of the flak vest. (Or add velcro. I have used both before for costumes and zippers are incredibly tricky but my hands still hate me for last time I tried to sew on velcro). It's held together in the back by binder clips in the picture above.
Add pockets to back side of flak vest for magnets (will probably wait until I have armor to know spacing)
tailor the scrubs to fit. Part of me is really tempted to just cut off the scrub sleeves and sew them to the turtleneck or into the flak vest.
find gloves
Decide what I'm doing for boots. I have two pairs that fit really well, just have to decide what style I want and what I'm doing to cover up laces if I do the shorter boots
Find an easier-to-work-with fabric in that light blue color for the sash. Or spend some time trial-and-erroring my way through making that fabric work with me.
locate/make belts and associated accessories (pouches, holsters, etc.). I've got a couple of thrift store belts that should work but their buckles are extremely earthy so those will have to be covered or changed.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: Emily's first kit soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2020, 12:37 AM »
You have a great start here! Iím excited to see your progress, Iím a huge fan of anyone having real armour :)

Black can be a tough colour to weather, if youíre planning to have a dirty mando, but weathering it with lighter colours works well.

Re: Emily's first kit soft parts
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Iím planning on pretty light weathering, so that shouldnít be too much of a problem. I can definitely make it look like I had an encounter or two with some white sand or light colored dust.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!