Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

electriFi tutorial: build your own OLED display

• 64 Replies

Kazya Rembrea

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
Re: electriFi tutorial: build your own OLED display
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2020, 10:13 AM »
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ol6_ZAaqYAafNVQJpz9sWnbrf-samIKP?usp=sharing

Added an aurebesh font as well so this link should take anyone interested to the folder containing both.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Thank you for posting all these steps! I'm gonna give it a go when I get everything in!

My goal is to incorporate the LED button on the gauntlet to give it a bit more character. How long does a 9v usually run the screen?

MMCC #1484¦¦50 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan 
B.E.A.R.D.S #97 ¦ M.A.R.S. #21
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2020, 12:42 PM »
Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to try this out for a long time and had no idea where to start. I do a bit of Arduino coding for my wireless servo kit and jetpack beacon light kit, so hopefully I will be able to figure it out fairly quickly.

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2020, 03:12 AM »
My goal is to incorporate the LED button on the gauntlet to give it a bit more character. How long does a 9v usually run the screen?

Sorry for the late reply. The screen will draw very low current. A small 0.96 inch display together with the arduino will need around 30 mA. Typically the batteries don't have their capacity written on them, but I assume Alkaline batteries to have about 600 mAh and Lithium batteries about 1200 mAh which would lead to 20 or 40 h of constant use.
I don't have the chance to measure the bigger ones but I guess the 1.54" is around 70 mA and the 2.54" at 140 mA. Those would lead to ~8h/~16h or ~4h/~8h.
I guess your switches will draw around 20 mA as well, when connected in series to the battery. That will shorten the lifespan of the battery a bit.

Thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to try this out for a long time and had no idea where to start. I do a bit of Arduino coding for my wireless servo kit and jetpack beacon light kit, so hopefully I will be able to figure it out fairly quickly.

I hope you're successfull trying it. Regarding your knowledge from the other projects, you should have the perfect base.

Helmets for Sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Kazya Rembrea

« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Looking a tip or two here... Went to wire everything up this morning, did a final check while it was on the breadboard to make sure everything was kosher and it was. Uploaded the code to my nano, wired and soldered everything up according to instructions. (double checked instructions). Only burned myself once! lol. But when I flip the switch on I'm getting power to the board but not to the screen? Or I guess it might be possible that there's a translation issue between running the code on my Uno for testing and the Nano for the actual unit? I'm lost.

Fi-8015

« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2020, 03:51 AM »
Both of the following possible issues should result in a error while uploading the code, but I'll note them anyway:
Did you change the arduino model in the IDE from Uno to Nano before uploading the code?
It's also possible, that your nano has the ATmega168p microcontroller instead of ATmega328p, you would need to change that in the settings too.

If you're using my code and the same wiring, the only thing I can advise is to re-upload the code.

Kazya Rembrea

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2020, 01:30 PM »
So after more troubleshooting... everything works fine when I have it hooked up via usb to either my computer or a power bank. Board lights up but screen doesn't do anything when it's connected to a 9V. So... not enough power?

Fi-8015

« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:05 AM »
These setups need very low power. If your battery isn't completely empty it should work. Have  you tried another battery?

Kazya Rembrea

« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2020, 08:15 AM »
I've tried two, same results on both... I'm gonna try a different connector after work today to see if I had a bad one

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Hey - thanks for this, just did a build of this and it worked a charm.

Just wanted to point out a possible improvement - if you update the code to initialize the display like this:

#define OLED_RESET 4
Adafruit_SSD1306 display(128, 64, &Wire, OLED_RESET);

then you can skip steps 13-20 in your instructions, just install the GFX and 1306 libraries with the library manager, and there is no need to modify them.

Defining the size via #define is obsolete, and the constructors now take the size as arguments.

Anyway, thanks a lot and regards from Vienna,

Richard

Kazya Rembrea

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40 PM »

Finally got it! Apparently my little light-up switch was pulling too much power away from the board.

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 09:05 PM »

Finally got it! Apparently my little light-up switch was pulling too much power away from the board.

Very cool display!

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Fi-8015

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Just wanted to point out a possible improvement - if you update the code to initialize the display like this:

#define OLED_RESET 4
Adafruit_SSD1306 display(128, 64, &Wire, OLED_RESET);

then you can skip steps 13-20 in your instructions, just install the GFX and 1306 libraries with the library manager, and there is no need to modify them.

Thanks for the hint!

Instructions and code are now updated to reflect the changes in the library.

Kurz

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Hi, I bought a 2.42 screen. Saw that 9v battery will have a 4/8 h lifespan. Any suggestion to make it last longer? Maybe a powerbank?

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66

Fi-8015

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Yes, you can use a powerbank too. That will increase the time accordingly. You can even use the USB-port on the Arduino itself for this setup, since the display doesn't draw too much current.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!