Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Another Bucket Build WIP

• 19 Replies

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
Another Bucket Build WIP
« on: Mar 31, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Well with the inability to get out of the house seemed like a great time to start my own project. Been reading every forum tutorial on bucket builds and this will be my attempt at it, wish me luck. Colors not really finalized yet nor armor to go with it, ill try to post a thread in appropriate section later.
Thanks to the community for all the information available to get started on this as its my first attempt at such a project.

Started off with getting the hard hat trimmed

Then connected the first layer with E6000 (screws will be pulled after epoxy cures)

Here it is next to the cardboard helmet build that me and my 8yr old did a few days ago to see how the size fits.

Cardboard totally more difficult to deal with that plastic... seen it mentioned several times, 100% agree already. 

Update: 4/4/20
Finally reached my first real problem that I am having to sort out. after getting the cheek pieces in I have developed a curve in the visor area, hoping it will straighten up when i get a visor in. Nothings going as planned but its been fun to problem solve and work my way though it.

Update: 04/14/20
Reworked the cheek pieces to get things straighter looking a lot better! Also the remake gave me a little more room around my cheek area.

Still not sure how I’m going to go about the vent and earcaps so any advice welcome. Still lurking about the forum getting ideas.
[/img]
At point I have plenty of ideas of new and better ways to go about this process better next time but the general process has been a breeze from the info I’ve read here.

« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 10:16 AM by Einrune » Logged

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
Re: Another Bucket Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Well with the inability to get out of the house seemed like a great time to start my own project. Been reading every forum tutorial on bucket builds and this will be my attempt at it, wish me luck. Colors not really finalized yet nor armor to go with it, ill try to post a thread in appropriate section later.
Thanks to the community for all the information available to get started on this as its my first attempt at such a project.

Started off with getting the hard hat trimmed

Then connected the first layer with E6000 (screws will be pulled after epoxy cures)

Here it is next to the cardboard helmet build that me and my 8yr old did a few days ago to see how the size fits.

Cardboard totally more difficult to deal with that plastic... seen it mentioned several times, 100% agree already. 

Update: 4/4/20
Finally reached my first real problem that I am having to sort out. after getting the cheek pieces in I have developed a curve in the visor area, hoping it will straighten up when i get a visor in. Nothings going as planned but its been fun to problem solve and work my way though it.

Update: 04/14/20
Reworked the cheek pieces to get things straighter looking a lot better! Also the remake gave me a little more room around my cheek area.

Still not sure how I’m going to go about the vent and earcaps so any advice welcome. Still lurking about the forum getting ideas.

At point I have plenty of ideas of new and better ways to go about this process better next time but the general process has been a breeze from the info I’ve read here.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Nice job with your 4/14 update it’s really coming together. I really admire the people who try for a bucket build. I want to do one eventually but my first is gunna be a B3P conversion. I’ve seen a lot of builds that create a visor template and throw it into the helmet for some extra rigidity maybe try that? If not NBD you are doing great and making it work. Keep up the good work! Bearded Mando has a really great series of YouTube vids that I’ve been watching. Check em out if you haven’t already.

TK_0417

• I love the smell of cordite in the morning.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Einrune,
I feel your Pain! I'm doing a bucket build myself, and the cheeks and visor made me glad I was NOT building with my daughter present  >:(. Bearded Mando is pretty quick to reply if he notices you need a correction, and I submitted a couple of pics on my clan's Facebook page to get some quick feedback. You are doing a great job so far though!

Jaa'lir Corvus

• pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Great to see this. I'm planning on a hard-hat/bike helmet with bucket/foamex/sintra build, so I really appreciate the detailed photos. Definitely will check out Bearded Mando too!

Jaa'lir Corvus - Field Medic - OM 2933 - Vok'Chi Clan (UK)
Gar shuk meh kyrayc, ne'cuy jare'la osik. (You're no good dead, don't be a stupid POS.)

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Nice job with your 4/14 update it’s really coming together. I really admire the people who try for a bucket build. I want to do one eventually but my first is gunna be a B3P conversion. I’ve seen a lot of builds that create a visor template and throw it into the helmet for some extra rigidity maybe try that? If not NBD you are doing great and making it work. Keep up the good work! Bearded Mando has a really great series of YouTube vids that I’ve been watching. Check em out if you haven’t already.

I agree a template or not cutting the visor out before i had it the way i wanted it would have been best, excitement got the best of me.

Einrune,
I feel your Pain! I'm doing a bucket build myself, and the cheeks and visor made me glad I was NOT building with my daughter present  >:(. Bearded Mando is pretty quick to reply if he notices you need a correction, and I submitted a couple of pics on my clan's Facebook page to get some quick feedback. You are doing a great job so far though!

Yes choice words from the garage seem to continue even though i am working on something not vehicle related. An I have watched through Bearded Mando's vids multiple times as well as several posts here before i even started.

Not much of an update i am in a long cycle of sanding, filling, and sanding some more trying to fill all the mess ups and joints so not much exciting changes just the tedious process to try to make it look good.

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2020, 01:45 PM »
It's really coming together nicely :like:
Might want to hot glue a couple of strips of material to keep the vertical part of the T closer to the end shape. right now it looks like it is flexing open and making more work for you.
Thanks for the kind words.
if ya'll keep watchin' the videos, i'll keep makin' 'em   :D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Scratch build helmets terrify me  :o :-X. Looks like you're doing well with yours, though. I will second Bearded's suggesting about the vertical part of the T. Even in a resin cast one, I recommend the same to help hold the shape. I actually snapped the entire cheek off of a resin helmet because of cutting out the T and not putting supports in D:. All it took was a less than six inch drop, and was followed up by a lot of cleanup work to fix it, lol.

If you have a heat gun, you can use it to straighten the thing out as or before you put supports in. Bucket plastic doesn't shape as well as pvc sheets, but it'll definitely move with some heat.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2020, 10:59 AM »
I will second Bearded's suggesting about the vertical part of the T.

Agreed with you both even more so after going back through pictures it is def progressively bending more went out the other day to do more work on it and it WAS starting to shape up. Then an entire cheek panel let go making the visor shape even worse.

Went through measuring and making it even with a spare piece of plastic for a visor place holder, now i need to get some spare plastic to do a better second try on them.

Getting back on track again, thanks to a lot of behind the scenes encouragement and help from the local clan. It is a bit overwhelming at times being the first go through but taking it one section at a time its not terrible.

TK_0417

• I love the smell of cordite in the morning.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2020, 12:00 PM »
Same happened to me. Lost the whole cheek and cheek bone. Lesson learned: Bondo is no substitute for resin and fiberglass. However, in several layers, drywall seam tape, E-6000, and superglue work well together. The seam tape also works well with the JB Weld two part epoxy in fewer layers. Cheeks are holding like a champ now!

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Same happened to me. Lost the whole cheek and cheek bone. Lesson learned: Bondo is no substitute for resin and fiberglass. However, in several layers, drywall seam tape, E-6000, and superglue work well together. The seam tape also works well with the JB Weld two part epoxy in fewer layers. Cheeks are holding like a champ now!

Thats hardcore; my process i used was the same on both sides, tacked both pieced of each cheek in place with superglue then filled back side in with jb weld. once cured a small amount at the front seems then a layer of bondo to smooth the transition. Was sanding and that side just fell off. Other side required a dremel to remove so i could start over from scratch. Wasn't happy with the cheeks anyway i over bend the top parts and they were digging in my face a bit, cut them to make it fit better and doing so messed up the proportions and the rough cut made the seams bad. In the end this will probably help the end result so while its never fun to have something fall apart it should end up a positive.

The Bearded Mando

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2020, 07:28 PM »
sounds like you sanded into the jb weld seams. since the original cheeks were too tight, i would recommend installing cardstock or posterboard cheeks to get the modifications sized correctly. then make your new cheeks. i ran into that on my last helmet. i wanted pronounced cheeks, but then i couldnt put the bucket on. Fiberglass cloth on the inside is definitely the way to go.

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 06:07 PM »
sounds like you sanded into the jb weld seams. since the original cheeks were too tight, i would recommend installing cardstock or posterboard cheeks to get the modifications sized correctly. then make your new cheeks. i ran into that on my last helmet. i wanted pronounced cheeks, but then i couldnt put the bucket on. Fiberglass cloth on the inside is definitely the way to go.

I will have to brave it and try out laying fiberglass then.

Update 05/02/2020:
Managed to catch up on progress from the mishap. Found some thinner plastic donated from a tupperware tote that worked out great to give me the extra space for my face.

getting a visor holder def helped get things back into shape too.

Second try lines are a lot cleaner so i am thrilled with making the best of the situation.

I ended up putting a guide coat and sanding it all down again, hit a second coat and ended for the day with forever to go sanding this smooth.

Had to try it on even though the "visor" is opaque plastic as a place holder (and ignore the hanging insulation in the garage it was falling when we bought the house and on the long list of low priority fixes)

The Bearded Mando

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Nice recovery. Well done  :like:

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Yeah, good work on the recovery

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 04:08 PM »
05/07/2020

Yeah, good work on the recovery
Nice recovery. Well done  :like:

Thank you both, progress has been slower with several papers due and tests for school, still sanding away and filling in low spots, but its getting close.

Also started on the visor, however the material difference between the visor and the template it didnt fit perfect as the actual visor is fairly resistant to bending so i need to trim off a bit on the top to get it to fall into shape better.

Update 05/15/2020

Got a surprise from the wife in the form of a 3D printer to play with.
So I got earcaps and a vent taken care of then started on a weird plan for the visor.

Waiting for filler to dry before i remove the visor and secure these bolts in place and cover them with bondo. Ignore the bit of painters tape on the visor it was held down by the screws and would not tear out easily.

Hopefully this goes smoothly, not super happy with the visors fit on the inside but it works on fine for the moment and can be replaced easily now

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:28 PM by Einrune » Logged

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Hopefully the double post is allowed for updates.

UPDATE: Paint time!

Since I finally made up my mind on this and if i keep sanding there's going to be nothing left to paint.

Still got another small accent color to add and a ton of weathering detail but it is getting close.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 05:21 PM »
Doesn't count as double posting after 24 hours, fyi :). Also, excellent work! Once the weathering is done, this is going to be an awesome bucket :D

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 06:53 AM »
I really like it and I guess because of the ridge on the dome/top it really reminds me of the old Cylon models from Battlestar: Galactica.

Einrune

• Awards Clan Growth
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2020, 03:40 PM »
Pretty much finished up been working on other armor pieces and soft parts acquisition. Have a couple small details i am still looking at adding but it is technically weathered and could be used as is.

Needed to fill in some of that forehead space

Here is a close up of the weathering

Uploading this i realized i have not taken any good finished photos so ill have to do that and update a bit later. Overall I Got it to match my idea from sketchbook pretty close.

« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2020, 03:47 PM by Einrune » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!