Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gunslinger Armor WIP (Picture Abundant)

• 12 Replies

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
Gunslinger Armor WIP (Picture Abundant)
« on: Apr 02, 2020, 11:10 AM »
This has been a long time in the works but with this lovely Kung Flu pandemic going around I have finally been able to start making tremendous progress on my kit.

Jumping directly into things I have chosen not to go with traditional plates, nothing against them I just wanted to branch out.
Overall I have confidence the spacing may need some adjustments but everything else should be good.

Here it is before collar armor mods.

This is after adding additional collar armor.

After some suggestions to raise the flak vest higher.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2020, 12:56 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Beskar Knives found here:
https://www.facebook.com/Jaegers-Den-105988854882939

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Gunslinger Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2020, 10:31 AM »
Continuing with updates !!

After speaking with a local Ruus'alor, and a short video conference with some plate adjustments, I was given the green light to begin cutting out my armor!
  :porg2:

However before diving further into that allow me to show you the direction of this kit. Please excuse the less than stellar example.

Now going into the actual construction and cutting of the Sintra.

With my overall kit having less armor I chose to go with 6mm sintra to give it that sturdy feeling. Below are a few of the images I remembered to take during the process.

Kind of a bad picture but I had already cut out the chest armor here.

Here was an interesting few hours. Originally my diamond had a raised and somewhat intricate section raised upon it. Being a slight perfectionist I drew out a rather complex design and erased a few lines here and there until finally arriving at the desired shape as seen below. This entire process took roughly 8 hours but I was also watching Disney+ while working so that may have something to do with it.

Overall I couldn't be happier with what will turn out to be my first kit. All thats left now is to clean up the edges, sand, more sanding, forming, painting, attaching... okay so there may be a lot left to do.  ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2020, 12:29 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: Gunslinger Armor WIP (Picture Abundant)
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2020, 03:08 PM »
I dig your design. I'm thinking of something similar, so it's nice to know I'm not too "out there".  ;D

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2020, 03:22 PM »
I dig your design. I'm thinking of something similar, so it's nice to know I'm not too "out there".  ;D

I appreciate that, word of advice though, keep your Ruusalor involved prevents a lot of hardships from happening later on down the road. 🙂

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Manco Fett

• I dont want your armor, I want my armor.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Boba and Jango
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2020, 01:02 PM »
This seems interesting keep at it. Id love to see the finished product.

I.G. @NorCal_Cap

Pre Pro 2- Boba Fett

Manco Fett- Mandalorian Protector
WIP  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=191488.0

WIP Legendary Galactic Gunslinger (Hopeful)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197283.0

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2020, 01:04 PM »
This seems interesting keep at it. Id love to see the finished product.

Thank you, plan to continue in the next few months and keep it updated.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Gunslinger Armor Mass Update WIP (Picture Abundant)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:47 AM »
It has been far too long since I have updated this.
No time like the present though so lets dive right in.

I'm always looking for a deal on items for my kit and was able to find and purchase a pair of gauntlets, shoulder bells, both had been printed too small.

Before shoulder bells. I received them with some bondo and they needed just a bit of cleanup. Once I get it back down to the base material I plan to go over with a light coat of resin in some uneven areas and along the backside to improve durability.

After

The gauntlets were looked over then immediately I started creating ideas to modifying them.

I personally do not like static buttons in most cases, yes I know its plastic spaceman but adding a small detail such as working buttons helps give the idea of it actually functioning and sells the idea that whatever is being worked on actually can function.
With that in mind I scrapped parts of an old calculator from high school utilizing those buttons in place of the printed ones.

It took some sanding and close cuts but eventually I got it situated perfectly.

In The Mandalorian, Din has a small flamethrower that lasts a while but eventually he runs out of fuel for it. Now considering the fact that while in the wild many beasts are naturally afraid of fire it made sense to modify the original configuration of the flamethrower into something slightly larger that could project a larger, farther reaching, and more intense wall of flame.

As of recent this is just the preplanning stage for what I plan to do with the flamethrower. Just a few small fixes to set it to the main body of the gauntlet and it should be good to go. The hose and mount are removable for storage and for when it comes time to paint.

Originally a jetpack was out of the question however when you come across one for cheap with an easy fix, its hard to not acquire one.
Ever since seeing Cobb Vanth with the modified Fett rocket I immediately felt drawn to it which may have also played a part in buying one.

After patching the damage and reviewing some ideas from the great Ralph McQuarrie, a thought occured to me.

Why should a jetpack just be a jetpack?
Wouldn't it be better to have a few modifications that improved the usefulness of it while also increasing offensive capabilities? 

Yes it allows one to soar across a battlefield or close a short distance in combat but it also has a single use rocket.
Speaking of the rocket. I have seen far too many stories of a rocket being bumped or knocked off and wanted to prevent this. Magnets would help keep it on and allow for easy storage!

This is where the RMQ concept starts to come into play.
I wanted to incorporate another offensive option for the jetpack and smaller missiles made perfect sense.

Plan is to have 2 Incendiary Missiles, and 3 Fragmentation but thats still up in the air, no pun intended.

While I was doing that I also realized that this little thing on the concept Fett looked interesting and could help hold a poncho in place.
Into Meshmixer I went creating and sculpting until I ended up with this.

I again went back and modified a small area of the jetpack to allow a small hose from a dehumidifier to run from it into the poncho mount. I actually don't know the technical name for it so this is what it will be called for now.

After a few weeks of creating and modifying ideas it came down to actually implementing those ideas onto the jetpack.
This includes the missile silo, metal antennae from some object I found while deployed, fuel cap mounts, and the tubing for the poncho mount.
Here is what it looks like with most of the configurations.

While Spring Cleaning a lamp that was going to be thrown out had a few interesting pieces, needless to say I took them and added them onto the nozzle of the jetpack.
I think they look better with it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:34 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 12:28 PM »
Nice work! Eager to see more.  :like:  How did you come by the gauntlets?

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 01:14 PM »
Nice work! Eager to see more.  :like:  How did you come by the gauntlets?
Thank you Jennari, just realized you had your stripes! Congrats on them!!

I found them scrolling through Facebook on one of the many Mando pages, Danny Redman had them for sale as too small but they fit me really well.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Jennari

• "You gave up our ways, remember?"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 01:18 PM »
Cool. And thank you! You don't have a link, do you?

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Anytime!
I have a super secret plan for something on the gauntlet still working the ideas and proportions out though.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 01:49 PM »
I like the direction that you are going with this.

I am always pumped to see people pull in some inspiration from the protype Fett drawings or other aspects of other canon characters into custom kits. It really helps to add to the Mando aesthetic in my opinion.

Also, I am glad you changed up the ab plate design. Your new design looks a lot better. Well done and keep it up  :like:

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15 PM »
I like the direction that you are going with this.

I am always pumped to see people pull in some inspiration from the protype Fett drawings or other aspects of other canon characters into custom kits. It really helps to add to the Mando aesthetic in my opinion.

Also, I am glad you changed up the ab plate design. Your new design looks a lot better. Well done and keep it up  :like:

Thank you, I really appreciate that.
I agree there is something about the feel of that McQuarrie stuff that just looks right on kits.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!