Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I'm wanting to design and 3d print a helmet. Any advice with the 3d modeling?

• 4 Replies

Takanuva

• Bionicle may be dead, but it's stories shall last.
I'm wanting to design and 3d print a helmet for my build. I have a friend with an Anet A8, and I'm looking at a creality ender 3 pro. But I'm having difficulties modeling a helmet from scratch. Are there any helmet models out there with a creative commons license I could use as a base for my custom helmet design? It just needs to be a plain modern helmet.

Apologies for the rudimentary sketch. It's a modern helmet that will have a custom visor shape + mohawk design. I suppose I'm also asking for helmet design advice as well. My character I'm planning is a privateer/scout/sniper that boards ships named Dral E'tad. So it makes sense for him to have the mohawk, but I don't know whether the hose location is too busy, or if it should go elsewhere like the back of the helmet by the keyhole slot. If I decide to do a life support box on the back then I'd be able to hide a fan there for cooling and ventilation.

"What's white and gold and can't keep a secret to save his life?"
I'm wanting to design and 3d print a helmet for my build. I have a friend with an Anet A8, and I'm looking at a creality ender 3 pro. But I'm having difficulties modeling a helmet from scratch.

You have a couple of options here.  I use several programs to do my 3D modeling, and they all have different levels of complexity.  Blender has a pretty steep learning curve but I use it a lot to make 3D models.  Also, on my iPad I will use Shapr3D to make a quick things.  You can also design in a more traditional CAD program like FreeCAD.  All of the items I have listed have free versions.  If you want to pay, there are a lot of other options that are better.  Such as Maya and ZBrush.

I've been using blender for the better part of 5 years now and I would say if you're new to 3d modeling start there you can find plenty of tutorials to get you started on youtube

Grimstuff

• Ayyy
Yeah, Blender or Fusion360 (free for personal learning and projects). If you think you're going to be doing a lot of 3D printing focused designing, I'd probably choose Fusion. It has a lot more mechanical modeling quality of life features and you'll be able to brag that you're a CAD designer. But either program can absolutely work, just different approaches.

For reference models, there's Rafalfett's stuff: https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/rafalfetts-boba-fett-3d-projects.24044/
They were made in sketchup though so have very dirty triangular topology if you import to anything else. So I'd just use it for shape reference as you make your own. Unless you're only going to be doing really basic things like scaling or adding geometry ontop of it.

RC-3141

• "Kote, darasuum kote"
I'm wanting to design and 3d print a helmet for my build. I have a friend with an Anet A8, and I'm looking at a creality ender 3 pro.

I have an Ender 3 Pro and would recommend it, lots of information out there about it, BUT unless your head is small the odds are you won't be able to print a whole helmet on there, so you'll be looking at gluing together a multi-part print and then having to do a TON of sanding to smooth out print lines and glue-seams.

By the way, the image did not load for me, I'm not sure how you imported it.

I personally use Fusion360 because CAD is already something that's kinda in my tool belt, and I don't think it's too hard to learn the basics, I would probably have difficulty getting the shape of a helmet to work in Fusion, or any CAD program.

Weapons WIP Thread
Armor WIP Thread

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!