Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Sword Mando

• 8 Replies

Kormin

• Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
The Sword Mando
« on: Apr 15, 2020, 09:09 PM »
Here I go, I'm gonna jump off the cliff and construct my Mandalorian. This is gonna be one hell of a rabbit hole.

My design goal is to make a mandalorian who looks intimidating (like everyone I suppose), wears heavy but functional armor, and uses a sword primarily or other melee weapon.

Here is what I've got from the concept board and talking with my clan mates

The chest, stomach, and waist armor ha changed based on the feedback I've received. The arms and legs will remain more or less the same, we will see if my construction skills are up to the task.

There are the planed changes for the Chest, belly, and waist armor

Finally, I got a little excited, was a little bored, and had a ton of free time soooooooo

So there is my soft kit, still needs some more tweaking to get it exactly right but I'm rather proud of my start.

I've got a bladed weapion under construction, the helmet under construction, and am working on a design for a bowcaster.

anyone have any suggestions, or feedback, I am always open for advice.

Kormin

Re: The Sword Mando
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2020, 10:44 PM »
I've made some tweaks to the belt, added some Velcro to secure it better

I've also added some more grommets to better form the flack vest to my body

tomorrows project is to tweak the flight suit to be a little less baggy

Arminius

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2020, 11:10 PM »
I'd recommend using something like a cutlass,historically it's been a simple sword known for its short length which made it particularly popular amongst pirates in the Golden Age of piracy.Definitely avoid rapiers.

« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020, 11:14 PM by Arminius » Logged
The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

Kormin

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2020, 08:10 PM »
I'm back again and trying some new ideas. I have decided to switch to legacy style of armor, based on the many recommendations  of others, I have also decided to try and design my own legacy plates so we shall see what everyone thinks.

I tried to draw black lines to show the where the plates overlap and I've also chosen to use aluminum foil to make templates as i can form it directly to my body, hopefully allowing me to plan for the curves of my body better.

Here is an image of it laid out on the floor to give a better idea of what you're looking at

and finally here are some edits I thought up while look at my templates. Red- places I intend to cut off. Black- the chest diamond and some shoulder plates i want to add. and finally Blue- I am considering adding more layers to the plates, so that is where I'd segment the plates .

as always I want to hear thoughts and suggestions.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2020, 09:46 AM »
What style armor are you trying to build? Something more traditional modern, legacy, post imperial, crusader? Given you have a diamond, crusader is probably out.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Kormin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2020, 09:56 AM »
my design goal currently is a legacy

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Sweet Vod!

Overall I like a lot of elements of the design. Your soft parts are pretty awesome already, keep it up.

I would recommend some marginal width added to the chest plate (half inch ish)  since you are doing that cool wrap around abdomen plates.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Kormin

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2020, 08:45 PM »
I made some tweaks to me designs, what do you think?

More segments and more points so hopefully the collar plate doesn't stand out as having the only downwards point.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2020, 03:40 PM »
I peronally think the center sections should be wider. The collar is right bout the width I like on my own kits (and complies with the CRLs)

I roughly marked out where I would like to see it. 12-15 mm wider on either side.

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!