Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Full metal custom rifle/carbine build

• 3 Replies
WIP Full metal custom rifle/carbine build
« on: Apr 20, 2020, 01:01 PM »
I've got a helmet kit on order, and wanted to start with my weapons. Still trying to decide on a handgun, but started on my rifle.  I am open to suggestions, criticisms and any other comments.
This is a full custom build, based around a lower trigger housing for an FAL rifle.  It is not considered the 'legal' part that makes it a rifle, and more important from a build standpoint it is the part the mounts the stock and pistol grip.

For the rest of the gun, I start with this:  aluminum pipe and a 1.5" x 3.5" x 12" aluminum block.

I'm planning on changing the silhouette if you will of the rifle, so after some measuring I start to cut to begin turning this block into a "blaster"

To the mill cut make it flat and square

cutting the side for the trigger housing to fit

And trying to make it look less squarish

And this is where I got to last night, shown with both the home made wood grip I built, and the factory grip.  I'm not sure I like the way my grip turned out, but I kind of want wood instead of plastic.  I would appreciate thoughts on both

As of right now I'm trying to decide on barrels.  Should it have one or two, length, size.  I will be cutting the end of the block of aluminum shorter closer to the trigger, I just haven't got that far yet.  May get a chance to work some at night this week, or may be next weekend before I can get back to it.  Next step is a stock, I thought I had one in my parts, but I don't, so custom it is.

Really would love to hear your thoughts on it so far.

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 10:53 AM by Sclearman » Logged
Re: WIP custom rifle/carbine build
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2020, 10:19 PM »
Had just a lil time to do a bit more work.  I cut some length off of the 'receiver' of the blaster, and did some contouring:

I'm trying to use parts I have on hand, for a couple of reasons. First, what I have is used and has wear and age to help it look 'real', and second because I like trying to make things work together.  So far I have an FAL lower, and I found a hand guard from a Galil rifle

I had to mod the hand guard a bit

I have a piece of aluminum pipe that fits the hand guard perfect.  So far this is the layout with a side mounted 'magazine'.  This is just sitting together.  Love to hear thoughts and opinions on it so far

Re: WIP Full metal custom rifle/carbine build
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2020, 11:49 PM »
Unicellular job! Aesthetically I like the rounded wooden grip better though.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: WIP Full metal custom rifle/carbine build
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 02:44 PM »
I agree, I really like the wood grip more than the black. Looks more swarzy

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!