Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibro blade sheathing

• 5 Replies

Lycia

Vibro blade sheathing
« on: Apr 29, 2020, 04:42 PM »
I'm starting to make a pair of long blade/short sword vibro blades and I was wondering how others sheath up their blades while not deployed, back sheathes maybe?  It would be great to see some pictures for inspiration.  Many thanks.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Vibro blade sheathing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2020, 12:44 AM »
On my main kit, I have one sword in a back sheath, one at my hip, a dagger at the opposite hip, an axe near my butt, and two boot daggers.  They all have a short open sheath made of sintra rather than a full length.  My Force Hunter has a pair of beskade hanging on the back by means of covertec clips mounted on the backplate and knobs on the hilt.

My experience with the back sheath is thus: You can't draw a long blade from the back.  It's not the kind of setup to have unless you can take a minute to slowly draw it.  The covertec clip mounting, on the other hand, works just fine.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Custom made my Vibroblade(that actually vibrates and LED jewel) out of leather and so you can see the blade

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:09 AM by Skel'aDor » Logged

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 11:17 AM »
I've found that a full-length back sheath CAN work, but it's entirely dependent upon the size and shape of the blade you're looking for. As OriKad (huge fan of your kit by the way, the detailing along is a masterclass of design) said, long blades just don't work on the back. There's a reason it was never done (apart from very specific instances such as travel) historically and you only ever see it in ninja or anime movies; from the standpoint of actually needing to use it it's just completely impractical compared to wearing the sword on your hip.

Knives however area  bit more flexible, especially if you design it to be worn and drawn from the back in a practical matter. Because I went with a curved blade on my blade (and it's more of a seax // dirk length; rule of thumb is twice the length of a normal dagger and half the length of a shortsword) I was able to fit a roughly 13" blade, 17" overall length knife onto my back in a way that it can be quickly and easily drawn by pulling down and out with my hand.

If you're going for shortsword // longsword length blades (generally I would classify a short sword as anything with a blade roughly two feet in length and a longsword as three, though that's just my preference for blades with single-hand hilt design) I would suggest wearing them on the hips if you want to do a full-length sheath or scabbard, or HIGHLY recommend OriKad's solution.

Hope my input helps! I know it's a bit smaller than what you were looking to make but it's at least an example  ;D

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Would have to agree, I've tried back sheaths for swords too, and they look kool, but aren't practical unless  you have particularly long(ape) arms to pull a full blade off your back or a short  blade, which can be awkward, especially re-sheathing. Shurik 's setup is sweet, with a downward pull, with a short blade. Kind of a "blade from nowhere".

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Would have to agree, I've tried back sheaths for swords too, and they look kool, but aren't practical unless  you have particularly long(ape) arms to pull a full blade off your back or a short  blade, which can be awkward, especially re-sheathing. Shurik 's setup is sweet, with a downward pull, with a short blade. Kind of a "blade from nowhere".

I'm also a big fan of back-of-the-waist setups, like Bronn's kukri in Game of Thrones. You need a lot of real estate for it though

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!