Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GardenGeek Modern Kit 2.0 (pic heavy)

• 18 Replies

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
GardenGeek Modern Kit 2.0 (pic heavy)
« on: May 01, 2020, 03:48 AM »
About a year ago, I started thinking about another kit, and slowly but surely, I started putting it together.

I was working for a costumer on patterns, and was starting to get interested in pattern making from a sloper, so I did that!

and made a pattern

So I picked a fabric I liked (a vintage herringbone wool skirt, but the wrong color) and hand dyed the wool. And I picked my other colors as well including a beautiful deep red lambskin, and a deep blue leather to compliment the wool.

And then I made this.

I did make a flight suit, however I don't have any pictures of it, since I've taken it apart and added some stretch panels. Pictures of that soon.

Next I used the red leather to make a girth belt.

After that, I used my sloper again, and drew my plates since I don't have a home printer.

And cut and shaped my plates.

Added trauma plates...

The collar plate is attached with velcro, as to get in and out of the vest, the leather flap over the shoulder opens to the front with velcro.  The rest of the plates are mounted with chicago screws through the vest.

There is more progress that I'll post soon 

Kai Ree'tat

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: GardenGeek Modern Kit 2.0 (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 09:02 AM »
This is beautiful, I really love your vest and waist items.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:14 AM »
Seriously jealous of those soft parts, I really need to practice my sewing skills more!

I dig the armor plates too; that's an excellent compromise between standard Fett shape and actually fitting your shape. Keep up the good work!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

DARKhoblin

• Mirlah Casarad
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:37 PM »
I am truly in love with the vest details, and even the soft parts of this kit look protective which is....very mandalorian! haha Excited to see all of her completed. <3

GardenGeek

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!! 

After my my first layer of of black

I dry brushed silver heavy body Golden brand paints, and airbrushed with some black and some brown translucent acrylics (Thank you Gary for teaching me the technique!) I did the same with my shoulders, and my boyfriend printed me a resin iron heart.

And I found some pictures of my flight suit, which now thanks to the quarantine 15, doesn't quite fit how it did when I made it a few months back.

So, I cut out the side seam, and added in stretch panels, which make it much more comfortable, and easy to move in.
More pictures of that to follow.

While waiting for paint inspiration, I decided to follow my other love and make a droid for my kit.
My boyfriend resin printed the lenses in clear, and I wired up the droid with LED lights, and then I tweaked it a little and made it move! The cable will end in a tab in my bracer, so it can move its head back and forth, noises are next  :laugh:

After I finished that, I had a better idea what I wanted to do with my kit colours. Using the Montana Black (my favorite paint!) I used a combination of liquid latex and rock salt/hairspray for my weathering. I love a really dirty kit, so that's what I started going towards.

I have a cape that I had made for my last kit, and decided to use it on this kit instead, but how I wanted to mount it, leaves most of the back exposed, so I need a backplate too. Using the same pattern for my vest, I drew up what I wanted on the pattern, and made it from 6mm and added 3mm trauma plates.

After my top portions were complete, I painted my knees. I received permission from the 3D artist, and made a mould, and cast the knees out of a soft rubber. Using the same technique for painting the rest of my kit.

I did kit up, before painting, so here is the whole kit up pic, including my thighs and bracers, but before my cod. Yes, I know my knees are in my boots, I didn't have strapping on them.

Next is the strapping for my kit, and after that is finished, I will be weathering everything, and possibly dyeing the suit a little bit darker. I will be using my airbrush to weather a lot of it down, and using a dark wax as well.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Oh I’m loving this! Excellent work so far :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Blue313331

• There's a seam allowance on my seam allowance
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Wow! Everything about this is absolutely amazing, can't wait to see how it turns out  :like:

No mistakes just happy little weatherings
Current mega WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=187177.0

Talon Ven'ad

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Absolutely amazing work! I'd expect nothing less from you though. You are phenomenally talented.
That paint job is off the hook crazy!

MMCC OM#1914
Beasthunter-Beastmaster Brigades
Ruus'alor Sol'yc
Mandalorian Mercs Builders Group Administrator

"Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old."

GardenGeek

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 02:19 AM »
Got around to heading into our closed work yesterday to take advantage of the spray booth. I finally finished inserting all the stretch panels into my flight suit, though I need my boyfriends help to make a pattern for the neck seal, which will be attached to the suit as well.

I hung everything up, and got the airbrush out to airbrush all my pieces to give them a more weathered look. I used black and a shading grey, and then added in a sepia and umber as well. These pictures are from before the brown.

Next will be the neck seal, strapping 🙂 and adding more weathering. Almost there!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Very much wow! This kit is looking amazing, really top quality.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 08:13 PM »
Amazing work vod. Keeping an eye on this!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Runi Prudiise

• Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 06:23 PM »
this is a great kit lovin how it turning out.

She/her they/them QMU 093

Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am.

GardenGeek

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 03:13 AM »
Thanks everyone!  As Im getting closer to heading back to work, I've been spending more time organizing my house rather than working on my kit, but I'm slowly getting closer.  I managed to find wire to fit my bracer hinges, and get those sorted, though the "dial" still needs a black wash, and the bracers need some more topical breakdown before I'm happy with it.

I also received a lovely email asking for details regarding my process for my metal layer.
First, I started with my wonderful helmet, primed with a Rustoleum spray paint in Matte Charcoal Gray.

Using a 1" chip brush, I used this paint and drybrushed it on.

When I say "dry brush" I mean DRYbrush. Dab a tiny bit on, and then dab 90% of it off onto a paper towel, and then brush it over the helmet. It will look as if there almost nothing coming off the brush on the helmet at first, and then it will look like its slowly getting more and more little faint lines on it....And then just keep going. And keep going till it is nearly silver all over.

After this is complete its time for airbrushing.  I ended up airbrushing my helmet with about half a dozen colors of translucent acrylic paint, createx Surgery Sienna is a good one, I used golden high flow acrylics in carbon black, pthalo blue, the iridescent silver, and the shading gray.

And after all that....

And now anyone who wonders why Im going through all this when I could just be painting my kit silver and then painting my colours on top.... :laugh: This is why 🙂

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2020, 04:16 PM »
I'm super late to this, but I am just SO impressed with this build.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

GardenGeek

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Thanks Mi'ix! I've got a few tweaks to make, but I'm really happy with it. So far I've had some comments that the belt wasn't weathered, but it is. The leather behind the belt is a chunk of the leather that we used to make the belt.  I hit it with a layer of black airbrushing, and then hit the highpoints with steel wool.

The vest was shaded down with black and browns as well.

Runi Prudiise

• Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2020, 08:50 PM »
this has got to be on of the best kits ive seen to date. 11/10 the paint job and flight suit are what sell it.

She/her they/them QMU 093

Chaab Purdiise val naumiit kyr'am.

Manco Fett

• I don’t want your armor, I want my armor.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Boba and Jango
« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2020, 01:43 AM »
 :boba: Very nice work on ever level, soft parts, hard parts, paint and overall concept is great!  I love the usage of rock salt and hairspray, it’s definitely underrated.
Bravo.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2020, 01:49 AM by NorCalCap » Logged
I.G. @NorCal_Cap

Pre Pro 2- Boba Fett

Manco Fett- Mandalorian Protector
WIP  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=191488.0

WIP Legendary Galactic Gunslinger (Hopeful)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=197283.0

Awall

• None of us are as smart as ALL of us
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2020, 09:45 PM »
In total AWW of your skills and execution!!!! OMG...your stitch work and vest are amazing! 

Rancor Clan     #2385
Oribru Akaata #56   Emergency Battalion

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!