Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Athin Ordo's blaster build

• 5 Replies
Athin Ordo's blaster build
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Hey guys, been a while.

With all my other social stuff cancelled I got the itch to build a blaster.  But I want to check a few things before I start work or get too attached to some ideas.

Pics first:

This is a stripped and gutted Benjamin NP airgun.  The piston failed and the guts of my other airgun front fit in this stock so I figured I'd make a blaster to get back in the swing of things.

Anyway, I have two specific questions:

1). Are rectangular muzzle openings allowed? 

I've scoured what I can find so see something other than round muzzles but I can't find anything.  There are the flechette launchers with square bodies and round barrels inside, but nothing with, for lack of a better term, square or rectangular "barrels".

2). What's the verdict on Picatinny rails?

I read the CRL entry about weapons and it says "all rails must be removed or hidden" but it seemed like it was supposed to be a sub bullet point to the previous points about what necessary modifications for NERF blasters.  Also searched for rails and Picketeny and didn't find the answer to my question.

I kept digging, found an answer to this one.

Thanks in advance.

***EDIT***

I did a line drawing.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:21 AM by Athin Ordo » Logged
"...go go go!  Oya!" - Ordo

Nayc vericoaan a'mhi. Nayc kar'galan, a'mhi. Nayc tor; Shi Mhi

There is no hope, but us.  There is no mercy, but us.  There is no justice;  there's just us.

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
Re: Athin Ordo's blaster build
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 05:36 PM »
From a realistic standpoint, square muzzle brakes are extremely common in the real world -- the M82 Barret .50 is an excellent example. For barrels, the only weapon off the top of my head that could theoretically use square barrels are railguns and other electromagnetic propulsive weapons (though many weapons have used octagonal or hexagonal bores and barrels in the past)

Luckily this doesn't have to be realistic  :laugh: I think as long as it looks realistic there shouldn't be a problem, but that's just my two cents.

That's a gorgeous base for a blaster rifle though! I can definitely see a sleek little carbine or sniper rifle built out of that  ;D

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Kurz

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Are rectangular muzzle openings allowed? 

I've scoured what I can find so see something other than round muzzles but I can't find anything.  There are the flechette launchers with square bodies and round barrels inside, but nothing with, for lack of a better term, square or rectangular "barrels".

Well, if with muzzle opening you mean muzzle brake, then I guess it's allowed.
NT-242 is a canon example. (Based on a barrett as Shurik suggested)

If you mean the bore, well, I'd expect something square coming out from a square barrel. Don't know if it makes sense.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11 PM »
That's a gorgeous base for a blaster rifle though! I can definitely see a sleek little carbine or sniper rifle built out of that  ;D

I'm planning to go the carbine route.  I've been reading a lot on the electronics board and watching a bunch of youtube LED vids.  I think I'm a touch overwhelmed at all the possibilities for light and sound but I should have some time to draw tonight.

If you mean the bore, well, I'd expect something square coming out from a square barrel. Don't know if it makes sense.

I did mean an opening to represent a square "bore."  Since it's a blaster and not a slug thrower I wasn't too concerned with the idea of the shape of the projectile. I assumed plasma would take whatever shape it feels like taking in transit (if that's what blasters project) and I'd guess light is a lot like water in filling the available space (if that's what blasters project instead.).  Now that I have the line drawing to print out and draw over I can get some sketches done.  Hopefully I add them here later tonight.

***edit/addition (3/7)***

I'm not sure where it's coming from, but I like the rounded profiles.  Each drawing has a muzzle view as well.

The small circles on the sides of the muzzle (which would be the ends of the stock's forend) are plnaned to be integrated lights (rather than an external light) though I'm thinking of making it look like a light panel on each side (cover the LEDs with a frosted plate or something.

Not really sure what the under muzzle hole will be In-universe but for right now it's the where I'm thinking about putting a speaker for blaster sounds because I'm not sure how well it would work to put the muzzle LEDs in front of a speaker... But those are problems for later (once I have some electronics experience), and another board.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:33 PM by Athin Ordo » Logged

There is no hope, but us.  There is no mercy, but us.  There is no justice;  there's just us.

Kurz

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 03:20 AM »
Really like the concept, but it gives me WH40K vibes. Something like Eldars or Tau. Wish I had your drawing skills

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Wish I had your drawing skills

You have no idea how big a compliment that is.  Thank you!

Really like the concept, but it gives me WH40K vibes. Something like Eldars or Tau.

I have some friends who play 40K, I'll take a look try to work with them on the lighting and the greeblies to get/stay away from a 40k look.

***EDIT***
I've been drawing because work is so busy I can't source some things I need to start my blaster build and my Electronics stuff just came in.  This is what I came up with.  Color is just added for general ideas of LED and light placement/possible colors for that location.  Upper left hand corner is a muzzle view.

I'd like some feedback about whether it's enough in the swarzy aesthetic and if not what might bring it back that way.  The plan for the green on the side is pulsing lights (if I can get it to work) that flash in sequence forward toward the muzzle with each shot.  So I figured I'd post this here sInce I'm still just planning and drawing and it's way easier to change a drawing than an half-built prop.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:55 PM by Athin Ordo » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!