Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question to all 3D printers!!!!

• 10 Replies
Question to all 3D printers!!!!
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:48 PM »
I am wanting to purchase my first 3D printer to make  my first set of armor. My question is this, would a print size of 8.9 x 8.9 x 9.6 be big enough for most pieces of armor? The bucket file I found prints it in 8 pieces. Thanks in advance!

Throk

• No one lives forever...
Re: Question to all 3D printers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:33 PM »
What price point are you targeting with your 3D printer purchase?  You should be able to print most of your items with that.  Some may need to be in pieces obviously.  I am printing my helmet now in one piece my print bed it 300*300*400mm so 11.8*11.8*15.7inches

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Well I was looking at the Creality Ender 3 because it was under $200, I figured anymore expensive than that and I might as well just buy a kit from someone, and with just having twins... I don’t get much of a toy allowance anymore lol

Throk

• No one lives forever...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:52 PM »
The Ender 3 is a good printer.  You should be able to print just about everything you need in pieces.  I have a CR10, if you have issues with the creality I might be able to help.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12 PM »
Thanks! I’m sure I’ll have a million and a half questions lol

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 02:28 PM »
i've printed dozens of helmets on the ender 3, i usually only need to divide them into quarters (left/right/top/bottom) and can fit them on it fine. i personally like the redundancy of using a smaller printer because it means if one part messes up, i'm only losing 1/4 of a helmet and not the whole thing like if i was printing it all in one go.
that being said...i'm also running 4X ender 3s at once so i can print a helmet in about 12 hours instead of 2 days :P

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:11 AM »
I also printed a helmet on my ender3.  It's a great printer to start out on.  It has a low investment cost and can do a ton.  I just did a set of gauntlets in about a day and a half. 

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 02:48 PM »
i've printed dozens of helmets on the ender 3, i usually only need to divide them into quarters (left/right/top/bottom) and can fit them on it fine. i personally like the redundancy of using a smaller printer because it means if one part messes up, i'm only losing 1/4 of a helmet and not the whole thing like if i was printing it all in one go.
that being said...i'm also running 4X ender 3s at once so i can print a helmet in about 12 hours instead of 2 days :P

Is there an stl file that you are using to do this? I've tried to print a couple on my Ender 3 Pro and I can't had any success finding one that splits well.
Thanks,
James

Druj Jes

• Heavy Weapons,Heavy Assault,Hazardous Environment
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Shock Infantry Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 03:26 PM »
I have used the plane cut in mesh mixer with good success. Import your stl file, cut it and save out the pieces. Not bad at all.  There are videos on YouTube that helped me work through it the first time.

Druj Jes - M.M.C.C. #2302 - B.O.M.B. #105 - M.V.S. #105

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Is there an stl file that you are using to do this? I've tried to print a couple on my Ender 3 Pro and I can't had any success finding one that splits well.
Thanks,
James

if you have windows 10, it has a built in program called "3D builder" which you can use to resize, cut, scale, etc. it's basically the 3D equivalent to MS paint, but it's perfect for dividing models. i buy most of my models from sean fields/project 842 on etsy. his models are usually in one piece, so i just divide them up.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 07:37 PM »
Thank you for both of those, I'll take a look.
I've only been printing for about 5 months and haven't played with slicing anything.
Just loading it in Cura splicing it to gcode and print.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!