Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The courier - WIP first build

• 38 Replies

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: The courier - WIP first build
« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Here's what I'm working with. The helmet seems very sturdy right now- the seams aren't bendy, so that's good. But just worried about smoothing to take off some of this sealer and that making it less secure. If it's not clear in the photos, I am going to Firaxan's armor party in a week, so can always have someone look at it "live" for pointers as well.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2020, 12:01 AM »
Hmm... It's hard to say. What type of adhesive did you use to hold the dome to the rest of the helmet? If that's a solid bond, you might be alright to sand it down flush.

I think the key is making sure that your initial bond between your dome and sides won't flex too much. The bondo doesn't always do much for strength and can crack if there's a possibility of some movement. It wasn't a bad idea to pause and ask a few questions.

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #27 on: Jul 20, 2020, 07:56 AM »
The guy did this initial bond/seal. I’ll check with him- good point that the material makes a huge difference.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #28 on: Jul 24, 2020, 07:01 PM »
It’s bondo professional filler according to the guy. I think that means I can sand smooth and it should still maintain integrity. So that’ll be my new project.

On the negative side, my helmet fans don’t work. Looks like they may have gotten damaged in transit. I’m going to fiddle with them and see what I can figure out.

Edit:
Made some progress today while my wife worked on my vest! Sanding with a fine grit is working better than a rough grit, and keeping it wet is helping with dust.

Ready to eat doritos and sand a helmet:

Bondo is pretty rough:

Made some progress, but forgot to take a closeup, so here's me wearing the vest and staring off into the distance:

Once I'm done, I think I'm going to try hitting it with a primer spray paint that has filler, and that should help smooth things out. It's a beautiful helmet overall, really happy with how it's coming together.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #29 on: Jul 26, 2020, 02:56 PM »
More progress today! Worked hard on sanding, and hit the helmet with a really light layer of spray paint w/filler. Hoping that will fill in some imperfections, and make it clear where I need to focus more effort in my sanding.

Helmet work:

Vambraces:

Also, I'm having a crisis of colors- I went to the hardware store this afternoon, and there is a TON of cool metallic spray paints in a hammered style that looks dope.  What do you think? I am thinking a metallic look with some green or blue stripes/accent pieces instead of the matte army green all over. Or, I could use that hammered look as the undercoat and then paint over it with army green so you only see it in weathering, but I'm worried that'll look too messy.

hammered metallic ideas:

« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Lookin great vod! I'm partial to the copper and darker grey metals personally.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #31 on: Jul 26, 2020, 04:02 PM »
Lookin great vod! I'm partial to the copper and darker grey metals personally.

Yeah, I may head down to the hardware store with my vest and scrubs and just wander around looking at things. I don't want to buy a bunch of paint that clashes. Just really drawn to the darker grey hammered metal as an idea.

jethroskull

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023.
« Reply #32 on: Jul 26, 2020, 06:15 PM »
I'm planning a hammered copper base with matte sand over it, then a lot of rub-through. I'm thinking it will give a great weathered look.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #33 on: Jul 26, 2020, 06:18 PM »
I'm planning a hammered copper base with matte sand over it, then a lot of rub-through. I'm thinking it will give a great weathered look.

That sounds amazing!

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #34 on: Aug 08, 2020, 09:51 PM »
I got some Rustoleum "Forged Hammered" spray paint in Antique Pewter, with an accent color of a chalk texture blue. Spent some time today doing testing on spare sintra pieces I have. Really pleased with the look- it looks very metallic, and the chalk texture in the blue stripes looks dusty and somewhat faded already, so weathering should work well. The big thing I found is that I have to do a base coat with the metallic paint, then the accent color over it. Otherwise the thinner blue paint looks sunken in and flat.

Couple sample shots:

And here's a shot where I applied the chalk blue right onto the white sintra- really looks different and not good at all:

I then rushed to do a quick paint test on my bracers, which was a mistake as now I need to sand a lot off as the surface wasn't smooth enough before I painted and the imperfections really stand out. Blah- hoping I can fix it and don't have to start over there.

jethroskull

« Reply #35 on: Aug 09, 2020, 12:01 PM »
Chalk texture, eh? Note to self; that has a nice sandblasted look.

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #36 on: Sep 19, 2020, 11:13 AM »
Hey guys I’m going to be stepping away from this project for a bit and think about if this is the right thing for me.

jethroskull

« Reply #37 on: Sep 19, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Hope everything is okay, you seemed to be on a roll. But life...

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: Sep 19, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Real life comes before plastic spacemen.  We'll be here when/if you decide to come back, but you will still be our vod either way.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!