Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bfa's WOF template build attempt

• 64 Replies

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
Re: Bfa's WOF template build attempt
« Reply #60 on: Jul 14, 2019, 11:54 PM »
Well decided to go standard.  That's what I made the wood rim on the base for so may as well fit it to that.  Still can't make clean-looking cheeks to save my life but hopefully I can add some battle damage and weathering that'll at least disguise those crimes, if not outright hide them.

One other thing is that I have the skate helmet to make the dome out of, so I'm thinking I may as well use that.  The issue is it's just slightly smaller and differently shaped than the wood ring I used around the top, so if I want to use the helmet I may have to rip out the ring.  Does it seem like it's worth it to do that?  Saves a lot of dome-making time and gives my head a tiny bit more room but also has potential to mess up the shape.  You can see the weird gap between brow ridge and dome the discrepancy makes in the pic below.

Bfahome

« Reply #61 on: Sep 15, 2019, 10:01 PM »
so I still hate doing the cheeks

So I'm going to do something completely different to try and make them.

Enter vacuum forming.

I've been working on a vacuum forming box for the makerspace I volunteer at, inspired by the little bit I did for Spirit.  Once I finish the box I think one of the first things I'm going to use it for is to vacuum form the cheeks for my helmet.

I started on the bucks today.  I did a lot of templating with a bunch of thin cardboard I got from work today, so I ripped the existing cheeks out of the bucket to make room and allow me to match the patterns to the helmet as best as I could.

I used the wood pieces to make sure the flat bits stay flat.  I have the general shape down and lightly reinforced.  At some point I'll hit this with resin to make it rigid, and then fill it out somehow, maybe with some bondo or something.  Need to be able to shape it and sand it down to get a nice crisp edge.  That's the whole point of this; I figure it'll be miles easier to get a crisp edge on a convex shape than a concave one.

There's both cheek bucks in their initial form.  I have what's essentially the hole that was cut out of the helmet, the gap in the bottom plane between the outer circumference and the cheek panel, the cheek panel itself, and some support bits.  All that space inside is hopefully going to be filled out.

We'll see how it goes!

Bfahome

« Reply #62 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Since I've focused all my attention on trying to get Spirit done by Halloween, the vacuum forming box has been put on hold, so I decided to also see if I could template a more forgiving cheek shape vaguely inspired by The Mandalorian.

If I make these out of sintra or styrene after hardening the helmet then it'll save a lot of issues trying to get the lines to look nice.  I can still have the vacuum former as a backup if this doesn't work.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #63 on: Sep 27, 2019, 03:30 AM »
Looking good!

QMU#084

Bfahome

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2020, 08:05 PM »
haha it's been over a year since I started this version, I am so good at being motivated

anyway I actually finished the vacuum forming box (or at least finished it enough to hopefully be functional) but then the pandemic hit so I haven't had a chance to test it or do anything with it, but hopefully at some point I'll be able to get going on it.  In anticipation of that I threw some resin on the cheek/mandible bucks (resurrected from a rather crushed state in my packed closet) and should be able to build those up decently well.  Also epoxied the skate helmet dome onto the base.  Not sure what else to work on at the moment, since most of the next steps are going to require tools at the makerspace. :(  Maybe I'll finish up my blaster next.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!