Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log

• 12 Replies
Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log
« on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Hello there!  :vizsla:

Here are some pics of my flightsuit and vest. After careful consideration, the flightsuit has been reccommended by a fellow member Ascalon, who have helped me identify the one most suitable (lol) and went through a lengthy process of back and fort (I was spamming him with various suits). Now, having ordered two suits, I have taken them to a local tailor who has been very kind and accommodating, and who fixed the suit for me (double sleeves, collar, fitting) and also made a leather vest. In the pictures below, both the suit and the vest are not yet weathered.

Also, I am unsure how the shoulder plates are going to fit, so I still might trim the shoulder flares on the vest, once I finish them. Anyway, as usual, I am happy for any comments, advice or observations :)

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020, 03:50 PM by Yaan » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: Pre Vizsla Phase 2 Log
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:25 PM »
I think you’re off to a good start! from my research on pre Vizsla, I think the flightsuit is a bit of a grey/green color so you *might* need to dye your current flightsuit. Also, don’t forget to sew up those hip pockets (unless they’ll be hidden by your waist items.

I do think your shoulder tabs are a bit wide but it might be due to the lack of shoulder so like you said, I would wait until you have your armor. Hope that helps and I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

Here’s my reference picture that I was comparing your goods to:

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Thank you for the comments! I really appreciate it!

Colour: I am definitely planning to dye/weather the suit. I want to start by mist spraying the suit with dark green (same colours as the cheeks on the helmet) and then washing it in olive dye (not completely, just to provide some olive shading to it, and when its done, I guess I will go from there).  My plan is to have spots with very dark green and the rest to be a mix of olive and grey.

Shoulder tabs: I am very unsure. Personally, I feel like what I have now is too big. However, the shoulder plates that I want to make will have some depth and texture (if everything goes alright lol), so they should "draw the attention" away from the leather shoulder tabs on the vest. I can always modify it them later.

Vest: And yeah, this is also something I want to weather by mist spraying grey and dark green. Since its leather, I dont want to dye it completely as submerging it in water might damage/shrink the leather.

« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2020, 03:48 PM by Yaan » Logged

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Sounds like you have a good idea of what to do! Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2020, 12:12 PM »
So, I have made some progress.

Flightsuit: I have started weathering the suit by covering it with raw "manna-croup" (lol thats what google translator is calling it, its those tiny seeds that you make into a porridge of sorts) and then mist spraying it with the same acrylic paint I used on the helmet cheeks. The result is very good imo! However... you can barely see it in any of the pictures. For the life of me I cannot find an angle or lighting where it looks anything close to what it looks like in real life. I have also sewn in the pockets.

In this picture you can see the difference in the areas where it has been dyed and where it has not. I really have to do a close up to make it show on the camera.

In this back photo, you can kind of see it, but I am not sure if it shows properly.

Gloves: I have found some old para-troopers army gloves and I have dyed them green. I will also use some sandpaper to make them more coarse and shorten the fingers, so they fit better.

Boots: And there are my old hiking boots! I have removed the laces, painted the sole bone white and sprayed the rest with matte silver (it looks as if its shiny, however I think that is because it is wettish). I will be making the plates to cover the boots later.

Here are the rest of the photos. Again, it pains me to say this, but you need to zoom in to see the very nice shades of green that I have accomplished with the spraying process. I personally think it looks amazing and exactly like I wanted it, however I am open to any suggestions/requirements in order to make the costume app eligible.

As always, looking forward to any feedback!  :vizsla:

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2020, 02:07 PM »
You can keep the laces in the boots since they will be covered by the armor plates. That’s what I do for my boots for Bo.

I believe the best lighting is typically an overcast day, obviously that’s not very reliable but if there is a day soonish, I would try to snap some pictures of your suit outside in various lighting (direct sun, shade, overcast, etc).  There seems to be some difference but it is hard to tell. A quick dye bath might be needed if the color doesn’t pop enough.

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2020, 07:29 AM »
I agree, on second reflection I feel like the suit is still too gray and not greenish enough so, I have been to the shop and got myself an olive packet dye. I dipped the suit into it for 20 minutes and the result is pretty good, I think. Again, Ive taken pictures both inside and outside.

Flightsuit Update:

And one photo from inside:

In the meanwhile, I am working on the boots and gloves. I will also be trimming down the shoulder flares on the vest once the shoulder plates are done.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2020, 07:43 AM by Yaan » Logged
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Alright, so I have made some progress on the boots and on the vest.

I have remade the shoulder flares on the vest, made them smaller and with a different pattern this time. I also have the shoulder armor plate finished and the sizing of both looks alright to me :) Hopefully someone from the app team could agree as well! I have also widened the area around the neck so the collar of the flightsuit pops out more nicely (its kinda hard to see in the photos, I took, Im sorry :(, Ill post better ones later!).

Regarding the boots; I have finished the heel plate and heel (lets call it) cover. It still looks kinda out of place on the boots without the rest of the armor, but I think it will look great once I finish the main boot armor and the boot tip plate. Also wild boar for scale!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:04 PM »
I’m not on the app team but I think the vest looks good :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:09 PM »
Thank you! :)

Next, I will be weathering the vest with blueish and olive swipes. Basically put some on a sponge and "dab" it irregularly around it.

What do you think about the colour on the suit?

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2020, 04:48 PM »
I think it reads as green-grey :) definitely more green than your initial dye job!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2020, 12:20 PM »
Alright, time for a tiny update. I have painted/weathered the vest. I mixed up some olive, dark blue and ash brown acrylics and used a sponge for painting.

Im pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Ascalon

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Flight suit and vest are looking good.  I thinking you are going to have a nice canon kit with all of the attention you are giving to each part. Lighting is always hard when it comes to a dark flight suit.  It’s nice that you have a WIP for us to refer to. That really comes in handy during the App process.  Seems like the natural sun light is showing the weathering better.

PP1 Boba Fett WIP

Tra’cor Clan MMCC1981

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!