Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Recreating Whistling Birds

• 19 Replies
Re: Recreating Whistling Birds
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2020, 11:11 AM »
How are you planning on building the birds? Turning aluminum on a microlathe maybe?

I've 3d printed a block of them that has them all in good alignment, I'm thinking about modifying them so that they step per your plans. I was planning on using some fiberoptic and extending them through the hollow cores on my model, and then clear-dipping and shaping the ends in clear enamel or something.

https://i.imgur.com/e1hq2gL.mp4

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:47 PM »
How are you planning on building the birds? Turning aluminum on a microlathe maybe?

GREAT looking gauntlet!

While I do have a lathe and milling machine, I'd much rather not have to machine them. I found some ready made stainless tubing that should work.

They are 4mm OD with a 3mm ID.

Here is the 3D printed "housing" I'm playing around with. Might eventually machine something, but that would get expensive to do, en masse.

Here's the Ebay auction where I got them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Silver-304-Stainless-Steel-Capillary-Tube-4mm-OD-3mm-ID-250mm-Length/352989014448?hash=item522fc8e9b0:g:OHkAAOSwf4leXIuv

Corbin Das

• Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:59 AM »
 I hope this makes more sense. Please refer to the GIF...

Essentially, the "push block" consists of a rod with a sleeve over it, which also has another sleeve over THAT. The cosmetics might change, but the principle should be the same. The central rod is pushed forward, pulling the other 2 sleeves with it. The outer ring of birds get engaged first. After they are compressed the proper distance, a stop on the birds will halt any further forward movement of the outer ring. The central rod will continue pushing forward, bringing the central sleeve with it. This will extend the second ring of birds. After they hit their stop, the second sleeve will stay there, even though the rod will continue forward, extending the single bird in the tip.

After everything is extended, if you wish to fire some birds, a section on the outer sleeve (or maybe the entire sleeve itself) will rotate. Doing so will allow individual birds to spring back into the cone, in rapid succession . If you're feeling ambitious, you COULD have LEDs illuminating the tips of each bird. Blue or whitish-blue would look pretty good, I think.

Now, for the true masochist out there, there IS a way to not only have them light up when extended, but change color to yellowish when "fired". They would only be visible as yellow for an instant before they fully retracted into the cone. By the way, in a red green blue (RGB) LED, mixing all 3 colors gives you white, more or less. Dropping the blue element would mix the red and the green, which in the light spectrum, gives a yellow. It's different when mixing paint.

Imagine an SMD (really small) RGB LED, with a common ground, illuminating the tip on each bird. Have the + wire for the blue attached to a tiny metal plug, on the back of the bird. I'd probably have it isolated with a piece of plastic, like a stereo plug, but it might not be required. Either way, The section of the pushing block that engages the birds capable of "firing"  would have a + charge, thus illuminating the blue element, while the red and the green would be hard wired to illuminate when extended.

Rotating the charged plate would not only sequentially break electrical contact with the 4 birds you'd be firing, turning the tip yellow, but it would allow them to retract out of sight, as if they had been fired. When the last bird fires, which would probably happen in something like one second after the first was fired, you could have it hit a normally closed momentary switch, that could be hooked to the ground for the firing birds. That would turn off all light coming from them.

The non-firing birds would stay lit up blue, until they were fully retracted inside the cone. Only the firing birds would need the red and green element in them. To have the colors match on all the birds though, you might wanna have the RGB LEDs inside all the birds, but only use the blue on the non-firing ones. If you wanted a more whitish-blue, that's do-able too. Just have all 3 elements lit up and add resistors to the red and the green. That'd make it almost white, with a very light bluish hue. You'd want to match the color on the firing birds regardless.

Hope this all makes sense.

What's next? Probably a removable bird in the tip, so you can "load" it like the Armorer did. Since it wouldn't fire, all you'd need is to have the body hooked up to the ground, with the blue (or whatever you decide) hooked up to a metal plug on the back (electronically isolated, like a stereo plug). Make sure the plug is magnetic though. There'd be a contact inside the cone that the bird's body would touch in order to get the ground. Inside, you'll have a section for it to contact, with a strong magnet attached.  Once inserted, the bird will be attracted into the magnetic contact and light up. I'll draw something up.

Thoughts or suggestions?

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2020, 12:00 PM »
It seems like an Arduino would be way less hassle and way less finicky. Moving mechanisms to power LEDs sounds like more trouble then it's worth, especially since lighting LEDs is pretty much the first tutorial in Arduino programming.

« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Any updates to this???

I'm redesigning my whistling birds to allow for the "stepped" extension. They're ready to 3D print for testing, but alas, I'm printing my right vambrace and it's a 34 hour print....

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2020, 03:41 PM by BearCubsTeacher » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!