Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Which is better for a vest,duck cloth or leather?

• 6 Replies
Which is better for a vest,duck cloth or leather?
« on: Jun 03, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Hi,I'm making my kit and the next part I want to get is the vest so I can see the spacing between the plates.Many if not most of the vests I've seen are made of duck cloth and I wanted to use this duck cloth for mine. However many from my clan prefer to use leather or leather-like materials to make it,also many canon ones are made of leather like that from Kal Skirata and Jango Fett.I can get both materials fairly easily but I wanted to ask which one do you recommend to use and what would be the advantages and disadvantages from both? If I use duck cloth I'd likely use two layers plus a small layer of batting for additional support.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

jethroskull

• Haat Gai
Re: Which is better for a vest,duck cloth or leather?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2020, 11:39 PM »
In my mind the armour should lead you one way or the other. Iím doing a desert theme so leather would require a lot of maintenance. Duck seemed more fitting.

But thatís just me, ymmv.

Any advice I give is strictly personal opinion and may not accurately reflect the CRLs.
Iím just an Unofficial Member making their way across the galaxy.

A'den Syngh
Gediníla - Jaro
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2020, 12:10 AM »
In my mind the armour should lead you one way or the other. Iím doing a desert theme so leather would require a lot of maintenance. Duck seemed more fitting.

But thatís just me, ymmv.

Aesthetically duck cloth made more sense for me since I am making a military/forest/jungle/mountain themed mando.My colors are black green and grey so I felt like a duck cloth made more sense from a visual standpoint,but I was keeping that as a secondary factor and I am more concerned about comfort and that sort of things.

The strongest stars have hearts of kyber, but the strongest warriors have hearts of beskar.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2020, 01:41 PM »
Leather tends to be a little warmer, but since you plan to do a quilted duck vest, that won't make a difference.  At that point, the only thing to consider for a difference between them is what look you want, and what your sewing machine can handle.  Leather may end up a little too tough for many machines.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Leather tends to be a little warmer, but since you plan to do a quilted duck vest, that won't make a difference.  At that point, the only thing to consider for a difference between them is what look you want, and what your sewing machine can handle.  Leather may end up a little too tough for many machines.
I wasn't sure about adding quilt since I want to use magnets to attach the plates and I'm not sure how well they would hold the pieces if there are 3 layers of fabric in-between the magnets,so I might just use 2 layers of duck cloth.Would the neodymium magnets still hold up well?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2020, 02:39 PM »
You can sew the magnets between the layers for the best effect, or in small 'pouches' on the outside, since they'll be covered by plates anyway.

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2020, 03:09 AM »
So I posted the same question on the fb group and I think I'll make now 2 layered vest with no batting,I wasn't considering that while there would be more layers of fabric if I use duck cloth it would be a breathable fabric at least and I think 2 layers of duck cloth would be sturdy enough.I also planned to add the pouches for the magnets on the inside of the vest i.e. facing my body, to hide the magnets as much as possible.After I get the fabric I'll make a few tests to decide if I should put the pockets on the inside or outside of the vest,but I'm currently planning to put them outside.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!