Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ch'ren's desert armor Updated

• 70 Replies

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Last official Verd'ika with no relatives in!
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Ch'ren's desert armor Updated
« on: Nov 12, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Hey guys... ok.. so i know there are a few things that need to be worked on, but i believe i have "finished" my armor... so here are the pics!

and the knee pads are that low (or at least look that low) becuz i actully kneel on them, and when i kneel down, the pants go up a bit...
and i know there are a few things to tweak...

comment and suggest please!

« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2009, 10:30 PM by Ch'ren » Logged
Teren Clan

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Ch'ren's desert armor
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2009, 06:13 PM »
overall, that looks pretty darn good! a couple suggestions...

1. thespacing on your torso plates is too wide. leave your gorget/clavicle plate where it is. starting from there, respace your chest and ab plates so they are no more than a thumbs width from each other.

2. either your cod is too high, cut too short or the crotch on your flightsuit is very low. an easy fix for this would be to add rthe infamous "boba thong."

3. i wouldcertainly think that upgrading the forearm wraps to hard gauntswould be a good thig to do as soon as reasonably possibly. even to do the shinguard typs like dar kyram built, which can be built for under $10.oo and look quite nice.

4. add someexterior straps to the back of the knee plates. what would work nicely with your kit,not look cheap and would still have elastic for comfort and movement would be to get a set of brown or tan suspenders. theyre an elastic material that doesn't scream $1.99 walmart sew in elastic. they can be simply attach to the inside of the knee plates with goop or chicago screws.

nice start!

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:31 PM »
well i can't really repostion anything....
1.the velcrow was a real pain to get sew into the vynal..... do i doubt i will be able to move it =( i can never get spacing right, no matter what i do.... i even have my mom, and bro help me, but still can't get it...

2. lol, my jumpsuit was a little to high i guess, i can just lower it down

3.acutlly, i really really really like the wraps! and it is an option instead of gaunts in the codex..... i have never been a fan of gaunts.... :-[

4., i kinda ran out of elastic, so i had velcrow to hold them in place..... and also, when i just tried elasic alone with knees, they always fell down, so that is why i just did velcrow.. but i will get to it, don't worry =)

i miss anyhting?

Teren Clan

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Is there anything sniperish, or military style that could be put between your collar piece and one of your chest plates to make up the gap.  I really like your kit, color combination is really cool.  Since you don't like hard gaunts, could you do up some elbow armor or upper arm armor to break up that area a little more.  Are you planning on some thigh plates??  I picked up a pretty sweet tactical belt with pouches and drop leg holsters off ebay for like $30.00, if you picked up a tan one, duplicolor makes upholstery paint and you could desertify it a bit.  Good job with it so far.
GJ

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:00 PM »
i won't know, i will look at snipers gear and see if i can find anyhting, would that be alreight A'den? and no, i iz not going to add anymore armor, this is a sniper, that means as light as can possibley be for movement... and na, i am not planing on buying any belt... i haz a very low budget....

Teren Clan

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:37 PM »
1. well, when it comes time to apply, the current spcing will be unacceptable. i know in your wip thread the spacing issue was mention. if it's an issueof nor being able to position the velcro correctly, you could get another trashcan and use larger templates, which actually may be needed anyway.

2.it looks it the pix like the jumpsuit was low or thecod plate was high or both.

3. they are acceptable yes,just not preferred in general. it was moreaor less a loophole put ib for montross kits.

4., elastic and velcro combo is the best oiption

Tassone Phoenix

• Proud Dune Sea Mando
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I agree with what everyone has said when it comes to the armor spacing and the cod thing. Might I suggest also making your cloth girthbelt thing wider. I think it might look better if if bridges the gap between your cod and the belly armor. Also if your girthbelt is wider than you can move your armor up some and that might help with the spacing issue. I know you said your velcro is already sewn in, but I think if you want to be accepted you will have to make larger armor or move it up. Both mean more work which I know sucks, but always remember costuming takes time, money, and lots of work. Also I think the thigh area is a little too bare. Are you going to add holsters or anything like that? A simple suggestion would be to tie a cloth band around your thigh. Think of it like a simple armband, but for your thighs.

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2009, 10:38 PM by Tassone Phoenix » Logged
Tassone Phoenix aka Victoria 

Shonare Vhekadla Clan

Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club: #0333

M5: Mandalorian Mercs Mighty Mini Mando #3

My Mando WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=19027.0

My Mando's Beast Hunter Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70601.0

Verdika's thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51095.0

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:44 PM »
1.  the armor does'nt look very small... or is that just me?

2. as i said, my jumpsuit was to high

3.  ;D

4. yup yup

and Tassone, the girth belt was accedently tucked under the vest, but don't worry, it is much wider.

Teren Clan

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:47 PM »
If the armor was bigger wouldn't it fill the gaps?

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:54 PM »
thats what i am thinking..... we shall see.... although, now i need to go out and buy more paint for hershy mando....

Teren Clan

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:02 AM »
thats what i am thinking..... we shall see.... although, now i need to go out and buy more paint for hershy mando....

Hershy Mando, CLASSIC!

I like what you've done so far Ch'ren, good job for your first set of beskar'gam.  Also I agree with everyone says as far as suggestions on how to improve your armor.  I know your on a low budget beleive me, I'm still working on my own set and two of my sons and one of niece's  armors for next Halloween so...

1. Take your time and work on one part at a time

2. Listen to the advice, we're here to help!  ;D

3. Hershy makes some great chocolate!!  :P

I'm sure your going to have an awesome set of beskar'gam really soon.  GOOD LUCK!!!

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:08 AM »
this is my 3rd set ner'vod... :(

Teren Clan
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Also.. Surprised no one else has mentioned it... The visor needs to be much darker... MY wife and I can both see through your visor really, really easily.

I'd suggest, if you insist on keeping the wraps, to make them bigger... Most gaunts and everything stop just a few inches from the elbow from what I can see, and yours appear much shorter.

Fix the spacing, please... I could slip a beskad between your ribs too easy vod. We don't want the jetti'se to have access to your innards.

I would also reccomend widening and changing the color of the girth belt. You're in wholly dark tones, and the light, foamy looking green clashes... Something fierce...

Your legs are really bare looking, and the knees being velcroed rather than strapped make them hang and flop, which does heighten that problem.

You flisuight is also a little too baggy around the spats and looks crammed in, I would suggest hemming the length a little on the legs, so you can have less bunching there. Same note here with the color as on the girthbelt.

Really, spacing of the plates, the wraps, and the visor are the biggest things.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I think you need bigger plates.  You can leave the velcro on the vest and it should line up with bigger armor...but the spacing is way too large and the ab plate seems tiny.  It looks like the crotch on your pants are super low...so to combat that I would suggest a loin cloth draped over your cod armor to help cover that issue.  The cod looks like it's in the right place, but the crotch is too low...

Try this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I think you need bigger plates.  You can leave the velcro on the vest and it should line up with bigger armor...but the spacing is way too large and the ab plate seems tiny.  It looks like the crotch on your pants are super low...so to combat that I would suggest a loin cloth draped over your cod armor to help cover that issue.  The cod looks like it's in the right place, but the crotch is too low...

Try this:

sweet, my idea that bigger plates will get  rid of the spacing problem will acutlly work? and how would you suggest attacking the loin cloth? cause last time i did it people complained at me that i showed where it connected....

Teren Clan
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I think with the way your current kit is, somehow synching it up with velcro to tha back of your actual belt or such would work? I dunno there..

BTW - Do you even have an ammo/hard belt? All I see is the girth style sash.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violation of the Mandalorian Mercs Codex.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:45 AM »
The best way to attach your loin cloth to the cod armor is by attaching it *behind* the armor.  Maybe come down 1/2 inch from the top of the armor and either velcro or glue it.

The knee armor really needs some work.  It looks uneven, and it shouldn't be floppy on your flightsuit. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:50 AM »
kk, would chigo screws work? and what do you by uneven? and yes i know they are floppy... i haz said it alot... i am going to put straps on it

Teren Clan

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2009, 11:12 AM »
sweet, my idea that bigger plates will get  rid of the spacing problem will acutlly work? and how would you suggest attacking the loin cloth? cause last time i did it people complained at me that i showed where it connected....

I would cut out a rectangle piece of fabric that is a foot or a foot and a half wide and as long as from your waist to about mid-shin.  You could velcro it to the inside lip of the cod armor so it flips up over the front...kind of like tucking it into the top of your cod.

The larger armor will fix the spacing issue and you should be able to reuse the velcro currently on the vest as is.  Note on my drawing where you would need to resize the armor.  I'd get out a piece of posterboard and trace the current armor, then modify it like in the picture, cut it out, tape it on and take a test pic for us to see.  You'll need to completely reshape the current ab, so you might want to wait until you get the chest armor cut out, then draw the ab so it fits properly into the space and is wide enough.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:53 PM »
sweet! i got poster board! ;D and so i am thinking that i will print out size 5'6" templates for the chest.... i am about 5'4".... i think those plates are for 5'1".... i grew a lot.... :o

Teren Clan

Dar'manda

« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2009, 12:58 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to finish. LOL  After you've tested the posterboard sizing, then trace those onto your trash cans and cut out your new properly sized armor. XD  Almost forgot that important step.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2009, 01:21 PM »
lol, i do sintra, not trashcans xD and so i will just trace the templates onto the sintra when i find the ones that fit... right?

Teren Clan

Dar'manda

« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Yup.  Just make sure to take pics and post here before cutting the sintra so we can help double check the fitting and size.

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:44 PM »
will do!

Teren Clan

Cdr. Ch'ren Jud'se

« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:22 PM »
ok, i am not sure where to post this, but here is the test fit and spacing of cardboard armor.... is it right?

and it is lopsided cause of the tape xD

Teren Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!