Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - First Build: Concept & Soft Parts

• 2 Replies
WIP - First Build: Concept & Soft Parts
« on: Jun 09, 2020, 08:56 PM »
I've been wanting to join the Mercs & build a set of armor for a while now, but "life" always seemed to get in the way. My wife & I just had our first child a few month back but, with all the time I've spent working from home, I finally decided to just "take the plunge" & see what I could accomplish (during my daughter's naps, in between changing dirty diapers & feedings  :laugh: ). Anyways, I really wanted to jump right into cutting/molding my armor pieces but the general consensus on here seems to be that knocking out my soft parts first would be the way to go. But first, some rough concept art/color design...

*original artwork is not mine*

I'm leaning towards a light grey for my primary armor color, although a silver/aluminum color has crossed my mind. Planning on using a red-orange color for my secondary, with a dark grey or charcoal for detailing. A quick google search brought up a generic Mando outline (if anyone knows who the original creator of the outline is, I'll gladly credit them), & after some time in "Paint X", I think I've got a scheme that I like. Things are liable to change as the build progresses, but I like the idea of what I've got here.

With that color scheme in mind, I ordered a matching set of scrubs (+ a pair of XXS pants) & made a trip to JoAnn fabrics to gather supplies for my flak vest.

*ignore the rumpled/unclosed neck seal; waiting on velcro order to correct*

I cut the legs off of the XXS pair of pants, turned them into long sleeves, then brought in the pantlegs & sleeves a touch. The forearms & shins are still a little baggy, but I'm planning on holding off until I make my gauntlets & leg-wraps/puttees before I decide whether I need to bring in those areas or not. I'll definitely need to shorten the sleeves but, again, I'm planning on holding off on that until I have my gauntlets built & can see where things lay. Using the remaining material from the XXS pants I sewed up a neck seal. I'm still waiting on the velcro I ordered to arrive, but once it does I'll be sewing that on for the neck seal closure. After removing all of the pockets from the scrubs, I repurposed the fabric to make the two thigh pockets & closure flaps.

The vest I sewed together from duck cloth, doubled up with cotton batting sandwiched in-between. I shamelessly stole the general vest format/template from trashcanando (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=190114.msg2122603#msg2122603), who, I believe, based their design off of a vest by whitecrow1. Regardless, the front & back panels of my vest are connected over the shoulders via elastic straps. This seems to allow more "flex" as I put the vest on & take it off. Since the CRLs prohibits visible non-color matched elastic I included flaps to cover the elastic, attached to the front vest panel.

Considering I was simultaneously learning how to use the sewing machine as I made my vest & flightsuit, I'm pretty happy with the results. That being said, I can already see some things to tweak/fix:

My left shoulder flap that covers the elastic (circled in red) consistently sits flat when I put the vest on, whereas the right flap (also circled) does not. My hope is that the problem will rectify itself once I attach a backplate.

As already mentioned, the back of my neck seal is crumpled/uneven at the moment. That should be an easy fix (but it still bugs me).

Additionally, I think I need to play around with the tension on my side straps. I believe that's what's causing the large wrinkle across the back of my vest in this instance. If not, I'll probably look into shortening the back panel?

What do you all think? Comments or concerns with my first round of soft goods? Any glaring CRL issues with my (admittedly brief) plan for the armor?

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Family is more than blood

Cabur Akaata #199

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: WIP - First Build: Concept & Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Wow, I love this color scheme. The vest looks great. I do think it's something with the elastic/side straps that's likely causing the issue. It might also be that the vest is a touch too long, but that's really hard to tell without knowing your bellybutton location and plate placement.

Could you try ironing the shoulders to see if that helps flatten it out? If not, you might need to try and attach it differently or maybe remove some material. Hopefully not, though, since it looks great right now.

Re: WIP - First Build: Concept & Soft Parts
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2020, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for the kind words vod!

The vest could definitely be a touch long, I was afraid of hemming it up too short and running out of space for my plates. I figured it'd be easier to hide the end of my vest behind a girth belt (or shorten it) than to try and extend my vest. It currently ends approx 1" below my belly button. Do you think that's long enough to be causing my issue? I've played around with the tension/tightness of my side straps and, while it helped, it didn't completely solve my wrinkle problem 🤔

I don't know why I didn't think of ironing that shoulder out, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks GraniteDad!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - Family is more than blood

Cabur Akaata #199

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!