Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Soft Parts (First Kit)

• 11 Replies

prettykitty1206

• Working on my first kit.
WIP - Soft Parts (First Kit)
« on: Jun 13, 2020, 11:50 AM »
I decided to start with my soft parts as I put my kit together! I'll track my progress in here  :D

If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

prettykitty1206

Re: WIP - Soft Parts (First Kit)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Flightsuit

I used the Cherokee brand Infinity collection scrubs for my flightsuit. The pants are the "Cherokee Infinity Tapered Jogger Cargo Scrub Pants", and the top is the "Cherokee Infinity Scrubs Warm-Up Jacket". I seam ripped the pockets off of the butt of the pants. The jacket top was modified by a friend; the sleeves were taken in for a more fitted look, the wrist cuffs removed, and the zipper down the front was cut out and the edges sewn together to make it a pullover.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2020, 12:12 PM by prettykitty1206 » Logged

prettykitty1206

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:11 PM »
Vest

The vest was made locally in Salt Lake. Its a two-toned leather vest in maroon and black with a neck seal built in. There is a nylon strap and buckle under the bust in order to pull it tight, with velcro at the sides. I pull the vest on over my head, buckle the underbust, connect the velcro on either side, and snap the back of the neck seal shut.

prettykitty1206

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Boots

My boots are the Deauville riding boots. (I got them from https://www.shopgoodwill.com/, which is an awesome resource for vintage or unique items)

prettykitty1206

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Gloves

I love fingerless gloves. However, my left hand is tattooed. So I went with mismatched gloves. I actually really like the style.

prettykitty1206

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Waist Items Part 1

Rope belt

No sewing machine used! Supplies: macrame plant holder, nylon strapping, scissors, fabric, fabric adhesive, needle and thread, buckle.

For this belt, I found a macrame plant hanger as my base. I cut of the ends, melted them together with a lighter (very briefly burning the ends!) and hand-sewed them together in a flat line. (Mine had six ends.) Once  did this for both ends, I sewed the ends to a piece of nylon strap. Then I repeated for the opposite side.

I had found a parachute clip for the buckle. I painted these antique bronze, then attached them to the separate ends of strap.

I took some of my excessive fabric from my cape and cut it into a rectangle, about 4x6. I sprayed adhesive on the 'inside', the folded it over in thirds to seal the edges. I took this stiffened section of fabric and wrapped it around the section of the belt where the nylon and ropes were stitched together. I sewed the fabric (inside of the belt only) to the nylon. (Repeat for the other side.)

The rope section hangs over my belly, and the straps/ buckle go around the back.

prettykitty1206

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Waist Items Part 2

Girth Belt

My girth belt is made of a faux leather than appears to be made of scales.

It is cut to 5 in vertically (not including seam allowance. It was wrapped around my waist while I was wearing my vest/ flight suit to measure the length. We left a bit of overlap for the velcro fastenings.

Once cut to the proper size, the long edges were folded over and sewn. Sections about one third and two thirds the length were cut and resewn at a slight angle, so that it didn't wrap around flat, and fit more to my body.

Strips of velcro were sewn on the inside of one end, then on the outside of the opposite end.

Front view

Back view

This belt will go under all the other waist items and cover the top of the cod. We allowed room at the top for separation from the ab plate.

Throk

• No one lives forever...
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Wow this is awesome!  I really like your idea for your belt, using a macrame plant holder!!  I am not an OM but your flight suit and flax vest look great, I don't see anything that jumps out at me.  The two tone flak vest is awesome, perfect fit!  I am looking forward to the rest of your build!

Kurz

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Awesome work! Really dig your soft parts!!! May I ask you the leather thickness for the vest?

OM #2524
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #133
Oribru Akaata (Emergency Battalion) #31
M.V.S. #89
L.O.B. #66
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Those scrubs were a fantastic choice! Definitely provide a streamlined look. Thanks for sharing!

Aran Skirata

• Ori'haat
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2020, 09:22 PM »
Great color scheme, can't wait to see the whole kit!

This is the way.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2020, 04:04 PM »
 :like:

spesso sei come una foglia in balia degli elementi, ti muovi seguendo il vento ma non sai mai che succede, e perché succede, segui solo il vento.

The child who plays grows, the adult who stops playing ages (E. Montale)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!