Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Does the hard foam inside modern bike/skate helmets effect the overall look?

• 3 Replies

Kyle of the outer rim

• New, here to learn, help is always appreciated
I am just starting my first ever build and I plan on using a bike/skate helmet. On the inside of modern helmets there is a hard foam that can be almost an inch thick that lines the entire inside of the helmet. Has anyone had any issues when using a helmet with this hard foam inside it? (Cracking? Breaking? Etc.) Would the inch (ish) of hard foam inside make the final helmets proportions a bit off? (Final helmet looking too tall or wide, bobble head like)

Does anyone have any photos of what the final product looks like after using one of these helmets? (Inside and out)

Any advice is always appreciated!  :D

That foam is the impact foam that absorbs the shock... Good for one hard hit....It also out gasses its oils over time and will eventually turn to dust. It will not withstand chemicals so overlaying it directly will be a pain. That much foam could affect a final build dimension as well.... depends on your noggin to shoulder width ratio. Look into 3d printed, resin cast, or fiberglass home builts as well before you go the skate helmet route there are a lot more tutorials for those than what you are planning :) ;)

Vorpan

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
as far as the proportions go, remember that you will need roo for your nose and ears inside the helmet. also you might want to install a fan or 2, so you will need room for that. and room for a bluetooth microphone.
priority is comfort, everthing else is an adjustment.

Kyle of the outer rim

• New, here to learn, help is always appreciated
Thank you for the advice, it is highly appreciated!

As awesome as a 3D printed one would be, I sadly don’t own a 3D printer and when it comes to buying one I worry it wouldn’t fit me right.

With my non-existent building experience I feel like building with a helmet following the amazing YouTube instructions by “The Bearded Mando” himself would be a great into to building. I’ve watched his videos 3-4 times each already haha

But I am definitely going to look into those other options before I start anything! I always like to see how people create and build their kits.

If you have any links to any of those other methods you like please send them my way!

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge

:D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!