Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Darksaber Bucket Build WIP

• 10 Replies
Darksaber Bucket Build WIP
« on: Jun 21, 2020, 05:38 PM »
Hello all!
Iíve began building my first buyíce from a bucket.  Itís a bit rough right now, and Iím definitely not the cleanest builder  :laugh:. Iíve been following Ryan Trentís build tutorial from several years ago, and Iíve found some additional help in The Bearded Mandoís tutorials, but itís still rough because of my lack of experience and building know-how, and additionally because Iím always trying to rush things.  I had thought I was ready for Bondo, but one of the cheeks popped out and I decided to redo them both for a cleaner look.  Without further ado, in all of its globs of hot glue:

To me the outer/t-visor outline piece seems asymmetric, but I canít pin my finger on exactly how,  :( any advice from anyone?  In the near future I plan on adding key slots then using bondo (properly, this time  :D).  Final question:  is DryDex Spackling the same thing as Bondo?  Can anyone who has used or attempted to use it tell me?

Thanks All  :like:

"Anyone can hold the Darksaber. The trick is keeping it, along with your head."
Re: Darksaber Bucket Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2020, 06:07 PM »
It looks like the whole sides of the helmet is leaning to the left

0_0
« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2020, 06:38 PM »
It looks like the whole sides of the helmet is leaning to the left
Yeah, I definitely see that.  Iíve looked again and determined itís not; the hard hat is level and the cheekbone pieces are meeting at the same vertical level.  The problem right now is a couple of shaky cuts on my part, mainly on the T-Visor piece.  The main problem areas are circled below:

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:25 PM »
A small tip, never try to cut through in one pass, always make multiple passes, makes the lines smoother and cleaner

0_0
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:28 PM »
A small tip, never try to cut through in one pass, always make multiple passes, makes the lines smoother and cleaner
Thanks for the tip. Iíve learned that since cutting the piece causing all of these problems :P. Much appreciated!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Np, also, I recommend watching some of Adam savage's one day builds, they have a lot of useful tips in them, and might even give you a bit of inspiration. Most importantly tho, it helps to slow you down, and have to think about what your doing

0_0
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2020, 09:34 PM »
Np, also, I recommend watching some of Adam savage's one day builds, they have a lot of useful tips in them, and might even give you a bit of inspiration. Most importantly tho, it helps to slow you down, and have to think about what your doing
Thatís exactly what I need, I will definitely be watching them  :like:

Update 6/22/20
I attempted to fix some of the symmetry problems with my bucket, but I found out to fix it would be almost as much work and replacement as starting over  :'(  That being known, I will be finishing this helmet to the best of my ability, but this will likely not be one I use.  I'll finish it to get the experience from it and the skills required to do better the next time around.  After finishing, I'll start a new one and learn from my mistakes, taking it slow and steady.  Thanks for the aid :like:

« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2020, 11:29 PM by Darksaber » Logged

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2020, 04:09 AM »
1. I have seen worse first starts on a helmet. The fact that you are willing to continue to work on this to improve your skill, and try again speaks volumes of your character and willingness to learn. Many give up at this point. Good for you  :like:
2. why did you cover the entire dome with bondo?  were you trying to get rid of the ridges in the hard hat? If so, might i suggest cutting the ridges out with a rotary cutting tool, then patch the holes with fiberglass cloth and resin. then smooth it out with bondo.
3. I have never used spackling for any of my cosplay builds, but i might just try that as a spot filler for smaller areas.
4. in my videos i trim down the footage to show only one or two passes with the knife, and i speed everthing up by 700%. generally i take 5 to 7 passes as needed.
5. many friends in my clan have told me that starting to learn prop building with the helmet, is the most difficult way to start. i like the idea of jumping in the deep end, it made the rest of the journey with my kit that much easier. lots of mistakes, lots of learning.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:52 PM »
1. I have seen worse first starts on a helmet. The fact that you are willing to continue to work on this to improve your skill, and try again speaks volumes of your character and willingness to learn. Many give up at this point. Good for you  :like:
Thanks, to me it was just some mistakes that I made, and it resulted in a learning experience.

2. why did you cover the entire dome with bondo?  were you trying to get rid of the ridges in the hard hat? If so, might i suggest cutting the ridges out with a rotary cutting tool, then patch the holes with fiberglass cloth and resin. then smooth it out with bondo.
You are correct, I was attempting to smooth out the ridges.  I hadn't even considered doing that, like you did to cover the holes in the skateboard helmet?  That does seem much easier (and probably results in a much better looking dome) than what I attempted  :laugh:, I will definitely be doing that  :like:.

3. I have never used spackling for any of my cosplay builds, but i might just try that as a spot filler for smaller areas.
It's definitely no Bondo replacement, that's for sure.  I learned this the hard way.  It's very dry and brittle, it will flake off the helmet through normal trooping use. 

4. in my videos i trim down the footage to show only one or two passes with the knife, and i speed everthing up by 700%. generally i take 5 to 7 passes as needed.
Yeah, I really need to slow down.  I also need an Xacto/Razor knife, all the cuts I made were with the a Rotary tool cutting blade, which probably contributed to the inaccuracies in the helmet's shape.

5. many friends in my clan have told me that starting to learn prop building with the helmet, is the most difficult way to start. i like the idea of jumping in the deep end, it made the rest of the journey with my kit that much easier. lots of mistakes, lots of learning.
I realized this only after beginning construction of my helmet  :laugh:.  I definitely don't regret it though, this really has been a huge learning experience for someone with no prior experience or knowledge with anything like this.

I appreciate your kind words and advice  :like:.  I definitely think I'll be primarily following your tutorials when I begin the next helmet, as seeing you building the helmet as well helps make lots of things clear.  Vor'e, vod!

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2020, 01:57 AM by Darksaber » Logged

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2020, 03:28 AM »
When cutting the bucket material, i found it easier to use a box cutter (utility knife). the blades are wider and heavier than x-acto knifes.
On my first build i found that the x-acto blade (even the heavier ones) would wander and flex while i was trying to cut a straight line. Even with lighter passes the boxcutter would cut deeper and leave a wider cut to follow on the next pass.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2020, 02:12 PM »
When cutting the bucket material, i found it easier to use a box cutter (utility knife). the blades are wider and heavier than x-acto knifes.
Good tip, I will get myself one of those then :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!