Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Inquiry about fabrics for a cape

• 4 Replies

LandoBI

• “Everything you’ve heard about me is true.”
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Inquiry about fabrics for a cape
« on: Jun 29, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Hello, for the past month I’ve been working on a custom kit and as you can see from the concept below I plan on utilizing a cape rather than a back plate. I’m just looking on recommendations for what fabric I should use to make the cape? Furthermore, since the cape is going to be a 2 colors (light blue with an inner gold lining), should I use exclusively one fabric or use 2 entirely separate fabrics for the base and inner lining? Any advice as well as any comments on the current progress of my kit would be appreciated!

Concept

Current Progress

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
Re: Inquiry about fabrics for a cape
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2020, 02:49 PM »
I like the idea of a slightly lighter material on the inner layer. Probably not silk, but something that flows/drapes well, then the outside a thicker material. Almost like a protective shell over the "nicer" material inside.

Also, that color scheme is dope, and your armor looks amazing!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2020, 12:48 AM »
You’ll definitely need to attach a lining fabric if you want the contrasting color scheme. I’m planning on using a lightweight wool. It’s not the cheapest option (wool blends can be cheaper) but it has a good, tight weave and drapes well. Experiment with cloak/cape patterns - quarter circle vs half circle, etc - until you get the size and frequency of folds you’re looking for.

LandoBI

• “Everything you’ve heard about me is true.”
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2020, 05:25 AM »
You’ll definitely need to attach a lining fabric if you want the contrasting color scheme. I’m planning on using a lightweight wool. It’s not the cheapest option (wool blends can be cheaper) but it has a good, tight weave and drapes well. Experiment with cloak/cape patterns - quarter circle vs half circle, etc - until you get the size and frequency of folds you’re looking for.

If I were to use wool for my lining, what could I use for the outer fabric?

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2020, 01:10 AM »
Wool goes on the outside. The lining would be silk or something like rayon or bemberg. The latter options come in a wider range of colors but silk takes dye better if you’re looking to match it to a specific shade of yellow.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!