Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Oced Tra's Pyke Blasters

• 0 Replies
Oced Tra's Pyke Blasters
« on: Jun 30, 2020, 09:58 PM »
After acquiring a Pyke blaster template from Cabiris Workshop, I had a friend of mine print out two models along with a third one that he printed initially as a test for the template.  I like the pistol's design, it reminds me of the old flintlock pistols from the age of piracy and I'm going with gold coloring on it for character backstory purposes and also because I think it will stand out both against the dark color of my armor and in general.  I still need to sand out the print lines from the two models intended for the costume, having started on one already. 

I also did a paint test with the initial test model that had been created.  I had painted one side of it with a Rustoleum solid gold metallic paint and primer, then did the same on the other side with a similar satin bronze spray on the other in order to compare the two. 

Once both sides had dried, I covered up parts on the top and the grip with painter's tape and added a few coats of Rustoleum Imagine metallic gold, which has more of a reflective finish for contrast.  I'm glad I decided to purchase the satin bronze spray after doing a good bit of browsing.  Initially, I thought the two golds would contrast enough to give it a similar look as what's seen in the model sheet, but the differences were so slight that it was hard to tell the difference, whereas the satin bronze provides a decent contrast.

In the meantime, I plan on sanding down the other two and painting them when there is a decent stretch of sunny weather and low humidity in the Atlanta area.

Total Newb

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!