Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First kit soft parts

• 9 Replies

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
First kit soft parts
« on: Jul 14, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Hello vode, I'm working on a Custom Post-Imp HIM kit.  This is my first serious attempt at costuming, but I found an old attempt at making a "battle belt" for ren faires, and was wondering if this could work as a girth belt:

Alternatively, I have a couple woven belts that could replace the leather ones:

The actual piece needs to be reworked because it's held together with gorilla tape on the inside, but if the concept works then I can remake it fairly easily.  I do have a question about buckles as well: which buckles are ok and which are not?  Or is it just an "earthy-look" thing?

Next I have my old combat boots, I'm planning to add toe, heel, and instep armor which should cover the laces and disguise the boots a bit.

I definitely would like some experienced opinions!

Cabur Akaata #200

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
Re: First kit soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2020, 02:28 PM »
That style girth belt should be fine. Remember, Boba's girth belt had the same kinda closures. You're right on about the "earthy" look. Most buckles are fine because they were used in SW flicks, but if you have any questions, post up images of buckles first.

Nice kicks! Combat boots can be used, but you'll probably be asked to make sure the pattern on the side is covered up. You could also use boot spats to cover parts up, in addition to armour.

Oya!

Andry         ; )

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2020, 10:15 PM »
That style girth belt should be fine. Remember, Boba's girth belt had the same kinda closures. You're right on about the "earthy" look. Most buckles are fine because they were used in SW flicks, but if you have any questions, post up images of buckles first.

Vor'e!  Like I said, I have to remake it from scratch because of the gorilla tape, but it's good know it works as a concept.

Nice kicks! Combat boots can be used, but you'll probably be asked to make sure the pattern on the side is covered up. You could also use boot spats to cover parts up, in addition to armour.

hmm, I've got some fabric I could try to make into wraps, spats, or gaiters.  I'm planning on using Paz Vizla style ankle armor, that should do a good job covering the sides, but I'm not at the armor making part yet...

I also have these old mountain boots, I had to try them on to see if they even still fit.

My armor paint scheme is gunmetal gray with burgundy red highlights, so these match better as well.  Either way I've got some work to do on them.

Cabur Akaata #200

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2020, 05:30 PM »
I think the hiking boots look better overall. Still some work to cover up some of the "earthy" parts, but the combat boots just scream "earth boots" to me in a way that seems more difficult to hide.

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2020, 11:02 PM »
I think the hiking boots look better overall.

Yeah, I fully agree.  I think they'll lend some gravitas to a heavy build: real weighty boots clomping around with a full steel shank.  I'm doing a two-toned burgundy and black for my gloves as well (thick black fingerless over thin burgundy), though the USPS seems to have given the package containing the gloves to my neighbors (who just moved away  :o).

As far as I can tell, I need to cover the laces, cover or fill in the logo on the ankle, and paint over the neon green/yellow on the toe and heel.  Anything else? 

Cabur Akaata #200

GraniteDad

• Choruk Buir
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Yeah, I fully agree.  I think they'll lend some gravitas to a heavy build: real weighty boots clomping around with a full steel shank.  I'm doing a two-toned burgundy and black for my gloves as well (thick black fingerless over thin burgundy), though the USPS seems to have given the package containing the gloves to my neighbors (who just moved away  :o).

As far as I can tell, I need to cover the laces, cover or fill in the logo on the ankle, and paint over the neon green/yellow on the toe and heel.  Anything else?

Ugh, I’ve had the USPS screw up some stuff on my costume as well (check my armor build for how my bucket arrived).

The two-color glove approach sounds great. It’ll give your hands a “heavier” look and feel.

I think you nailed all the stuff on the boots. Technically you probably don’t need to cover up the yellow on the soles, but I don’t think it would look matching with your costume if you don’t.

This build is gonna be great!

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2020, 10:42 PM »
My gloves randomly showed up today!

I also looked at attaching arming greeves to my boots as a way to cover laces and give me something to attach my leg plates to.

Cabur Akaata #200

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2020, 10:41 PM »

Getting my soft parts together, still a list of things to do...

-Get a replacement cartridge belt (don't want to use my vintage one :-X) and figure out how to connect it

-Dye everything tan to dark maroon

-Replace the buckle on the web belt, looking at an extra large cobra buckle

-Remake the girth belt (this one is made of ducktape, eva foam, and pleather :rolleyes:)

-Cut the vest sleeves and torso shorter, finish the edges

-Finish the kama edges and figure out attachment method (currently held on with a belt under girth belt)

Cabur Akaata #200
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2020, 05:31 PM »
Build looks great so far! May I ask where you got the gloves? They look really cool

LearRigh

• Ka'ramiit
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Build looks great so far! May I ask where you got the gloves? They look really cool

Both are off Amazon, it's a long cuff, leather "swordsman glove" under some leather fingerless, padded weightlifting gloves.

Cabur Akaata #200

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!